Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Not Another Ashley Barnes Thread

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Does Mr Burns post under a different name now or simply doesn't post anymore ?

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Another bad injury but he ended up back in the starting 11 and I was talking about if he had stayed with Brighton in The Championship, the fact he stayed at Burnley just proves he was more than good enough otherwise they would have got rid.

Edit: This was in reply to Heathgates post.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
Barnes, Murray and Chris Wood were a great front line when we won league one, bloody shame we couldn't keep them together.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Barnes, Murray and Chris Wood were a great front line when we won league one, bloody shame we couldn't keep them together.
Kazenga Lua Lua was quite handy at supplying them too.

I can't believe that some people still think Gus Poyet's coaching achievement in getting Adam El Abd to play a few easy and boring possession retaining passes was the reason we won League One...

Jan 10, 2014
If he was that good, how come he has only been a bit part player in a bang average Burnley team... granted he was initially competing with Vokes and Ings ... but he still only appears sporadically.

I wouldn't say that 28 appearances out of 38 games when he was out for nearly 3 months is sporadic.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Kazenga Lua Lua was quite handy at supplying them too.

I can't believe that some people still think Gus Poyet's coaching achievement in getting Adam El Abd to play a few easy and boring possession retaining passes was the reason we won League One...

Maybe not, but that man sure had the knack of getting the best out of, who were in many cases, pretty average workaday footballers.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
If he was that good, how come he has only been a bit part player in a bang average Burnley team... granted he was initially competing with Vokes and Ings ... but he still only appears sporadically.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

You will soon find out that a bang average PL team that managed to stay there is a very good team, I will be satisfied with bang average if it means we stay up.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

Talking out of your anus here.

Barnes is one of the first names on Dyche's list, and has been since the day he arrived.

2013/14 Signed in January and played that Saturday, and in every one of their remaining 21 Championship games that season.
2014/15 Played in 35 of their 38 Prem matches. I can't be bothered to check, but I'd imagine he was suspended for the other three.
2015/16 Returned form long term knee injury in April, and played all 8 of their remaining games (in Championship)
2016/17 Played in 28 Prem matches, missing a couple of months with another injury.

He's played basically EVERY match he's been available for. You couldn't really be more wrong if you tried.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
He did do a few silly things though to frustrate the crowd, crazy red cards such as tripping the ref and missing a number of sitters.

Even on match of day in recent seasons there has been a few horrific tackles that the panel had to discuss at length.

Exactly, people are re-writing history AGAIN. I liked him as a player but hated his moaning, diving and petulance.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Exactly, people are re-writing history AGAIN. I liked him as a player but hated his moaning, diving and petulance.

People are not rewriting history. If Barnes did anything wrong you could hear the moans. He wasn't a popular player with some of our fans and that was a fact.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
People are not rewriting history. If Barnes did anything wrong you could hear the moans. He wasn't a popular player with some of our fans and that was a fact.

People are looking back with blue-tinted glasses and pretending they all loved him. that just isn't true.

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
Talking out of your anus here.

Barnes is one of the first names on Dyche's list, and has been since the day he arrived.

2013/14 Signed in January and played that Saturday, and in every one of their remaining 21 Championship games that season.
2014/15 Played in 35 of their 38 Prem matches. I can't be bothered to check, but I'd imagine he was suspended for the other three.
2015/16 Returned form long term knee injury in April, and played all 8 of their remaining games (in Championship)
2016/17 Played in 28 Prem matches, missing a couple of months with another injury.

He's played basically EVERY match he's been available for. You couldn't really be more wrong if you tried.
Vast majority from the bench maybe... how many goals?....14 in 97 appearances...... awesome. (1 goal every 5 games throughout career... even more awesome)

Last edited:

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
People are looking back with blue-tinted glasses and pretending they all loved him. that just isn't true.

I suspect you're right. He certainly split opinion on here and at the stadium. The threads discussing his 8 game suspension being the most brutal and one-sided.

However,my signature should hopefully prove no aftertiming here.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Vast majority from the bench maybe... how many goals?....14 in 97 appearances...... awesome. (1 goal every 5 games throughout career... even more awesome)

Half of his Burnley appearances have been from the bench, which makes his goal-scoring record (his actual one of 60 goals in 170 Albion and Burnley games, rather than the one you just made up) even more impressive.

http://www.soccerbase.com/players/player.sd?player_id=46576

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Nobody's said he's Neymar.

But he's clearly a far better player than many were prepared to give him credit for. The facts are that he is now plying his trade in the Premier League, playing and scoring goals for a club that is punching well above its weight even being at the elite level. Not quite the lower-league DUFFER that some on here had him pegged as. As a forward, he clearly contributes more to the team than just goals.

If you really want to recycle the whole Baldock debate.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here