Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NOT A FOOTBALL THREAD....!! but opinions would be greatly recieved.....

sparky999

Aug 5, 2011
boring thread, admittedly, but, im guessing allot of u probably use the roundabout at the end of dyke road/A27 for the park and ride there....

im lucky enough to have my own 'personal' car parking space at the amex, so i dont use the park and ride, but use the roundabout everyday...

my question is....

your traveling west bound on the A27 and heading for hangleton, so u exit the A27 at the top of the hill....

u will be taking the 3rd exit (hangleton), so u go past the 1st turn off (park and ride), and the 2nd (dyke road)...

there are two lanes approaching the roundabout what lane would YOU be in...?

fcuking idiots still on the left hand lane cutting over onto snakey hill....!!

got to be the right hand lane, without a doubt....!

Last edited:

You are technically correct but as you probably know you will get dickheads shooting out of Mill Hill & Dyke Road Avenue trying to cut you up on inside and making exiting to Snakey Hill a lottery.

sparky999

Aug 5, 2011
You are technically correct but as you probably know you will get dickheads shooting out of Mill Hill & Dyke Road Avenue trying to cut you up on inside and making exiting to Snakey Hill a lottery.

glad someone shares my opinion....!
thought i was the only 1...

pseudonym

Sep 22, 2011
Hell
Yep with you on that one,right hand lane.left hand lane for going left.

wellquickwoody

Many More Voting Years
NSC Patron
Aug 10, 2007
Melbourne
With local knowledge I too would use the right hand lane. Bear in mind that years ago the Highway Code stated that you should use the left hand lane when entering a roundabout if exiting left or straight on. This advice has now been changed.

Sent from my wardrobe whilst watching Susannah Reid and Sian Williams enjoy a clam sandwich.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
Strictly speaking you are going straight on which I always thought was the left hand lane of the roundabout as you approach it? In prractice I always used to come off that roundaout for work and to avoid the queue on the inside lane going down Dyke Road, I would always take the outer lane.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
roundabout.jpg
With local knowledge I too would use the right hand lane. Bear in mind that years ago the Highway Code stated that you should use the left hand lane when entering a roundabout if exiting left or straight on. This advice has now been changed.

Sent from my wardrobe whilst watching Susannah Reid and Sian Williams enjoy a clam sandwich.

On line highway code shows this which suggests that for straight on it's still the left hand lane on approach. That's what I do at that junction so sorry if that annoys you.

fire&skill

Killer-Diller
Jan 17, 2009
Shoreham-by-Sea
The general rule of thumb is that if the roundabout sign shows an exit after 'twelve o'clock', you take the right hand lane unless otherwise stated. I'd stay left to go down King George VI Avenue from the bypass.

IGWT

wunt be druv

Oh bugger..!
Jun 17, 2011
In my own strange world

Now your talking! Are there any pictures available?

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
I always use the right hand lane for the following reasons.

1) It's past straight ahead and
2) It's exit 3 on a 5 exit roundabout

skipper734

Registered ruffian
Aug 9, 2008
Curdridge
The example from the Highway Code shows exiting on to a two lane exit. The top of Snakey is a single lane I think.
From what you are saying it's OK for motors coming east down, I think it's Warren Road in Worthing to the roundabout that goes North to Findon, to be in the right hand lane. Because they are going to 12 o'clock, which is a single lane exit.
It gets right up my nose, because if you do that you have to push in the line of cars. There are other examples available. There's one in Hedge End between B&Q and Hineys house that drives me nuts.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Interesting how there are different opinions as to which is the correct lane for this roundabout. Shows how complicated modern driving conditions are and why we have to be tolerant of other road users. Mind you I really get wound up at the mini roundabout at Seaford station where westbound traffic on the A259 indicate right when they want to go straight ahead.

ManOnTheRun

Jul 7, 2003
West Hove
I always use the right hand lane for the following reasons.

1) It's past straight ahead and
2) It's exit 3 on a 5 exit roundabout

Thats my take on it as well. I use this junction pretty much every day on the way home from work. I'm assuming from the this thread that there is no definitive answer.

MattBackHome

Jul 7, 2003
I reckon chemical castration is too good for the shitmunchers who, when coming off the A27 eastbound at the same exit (Devil's Dyke), choose to take the left hand lane before turning right over the roundabout.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I reckon chemical castration is too good for the shitmunchers who, when coming off the A27 eastbound at the same exit (Devil's Dyke), choose to take the left hand lane before turning right over the roundabout.

True, very true. The sort of prat whom thinks they are far too important to queue. Wankers.Wankers

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
I always use the right hand lane in that scenario. I also use said roundabout everyday.

My query relates to the roundabout on the other side of the A27. In the morning i use which ever lane is less busy (shown below by the blue and red arrows), but stick to that lane when coming off towards the A27. This seems to be widely accepted at rush hour, but not by the odd person who seems to think they should turn right from the right lane and go straight into the left lane on the exit. Am I right in thinking that it's ok to turn right in the left lane as there are two lanes on the exit?

I wish they'd just put arrows in the road, to save the confusion. The same goes for the Beddingham Roundabout at Lewes, on the A27 make the left lane left only and the right lane straight-on only and a lot of confusion would be saved.

Think you'll agree that I should be a highways engineer, looking at my drawing.

Attachments

• roundabouts.bmp
    516.5 KB · Views: 22

LowKarate

Jan 6, 2004
Wombling free
I always considered the left hand lane to be the correct lane (on the basis that I've always read the Snakey Hill exit as being straight on from the slip road from where you're joining the roundabout.

I wasn't aware of any change to the Highway Code having passed my test over 20 years ago and lets face it, who keeps up with every rule change if you haven't got to actually pass your test for the first time.

However, what I consider to be technically correct and what I actually do are very different. Basically I join whichever lane has the shortest queue and make sure I exit onto Snakey safely without p***ing off anyone else. Usually I do this before the other drivers have even blinked (having spent most of my driving life in and around London, you don't get anywhere if you're not fast and assertive).

Given that most people take the left hand lane, that usually means I take the right hand lane.

Drive carefully now. :wink:
LK

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here