Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Norwich - what’s the point?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Over the course of almost 20 years of being there - I would put money on the fact that she has
But you've not posted any evidence, just opinion. As someone pointed out, in their relegation year no directors were paid so where are you getting this millions and millions, it should be in the accounts somewhere?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
But you've not posted any evidence, just opinion. As someone pointed out, in their relegation year no directors were paid so where are you getting this millions and millions, it should be in the accounts somewhere?

I don't care enough to be taking an hour out of my life to go searching for it

Southern Scouse

Jul 21, 2011
My girlfriend’s son is a ticket holder at Norwich and I’ve had the same discussion with him. For him, and a lot of their fans they simply don’t care. They like being a yo-yo club, at least the season’s end has meaning. They hope that one day they will have enough depth in the team to stay up and build but for now it’s about enjoying the e ride.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
If I was a fan of theirs, selling comfortably their best player in Buendia to mid table toss like Villa who they should be looking to take points off would piss me off massively.

Clearly happy to take the PL cash for a year again and subsequent parachute payments as they appear to already have accepted relegation. Waste of a PL place.

Before the Premier League came along Norwich were regularly in Division One, alongside the likes of Nottingham Forest, QPR, Middlesbrough, Stoke, Coventry, Birmingham City, Derby, Sunderland, Bolton, Wimbledon and - most especially - Ipswich Town. Norwich are currently streets ahead of those clubs financially, AND they've won trophies - 3 Championship titles and a Wembley Play-Off Final.

The fans have a constant diet of promotion campaigns and relegation scraps - all of the clubs I named above would kill to be in their position.

The only criticism you could really level at them is in not creating either an elite academy or an international scouting network to unearth the players that could lift them up the Prem table. Selling Buendia would be more palatable if they were finding players like Bissouma, Caicedo, MacAllister or Moder.

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
Of course I dont I know non playing staff. wages However last I heard was £75m playing staff.. If we have an income of £120/140m and 0 transfer cost where else can money go. Could be wrong but heard Barber was on £1.5m in which case think it is mad. He has no imput to the £100m plus TV income or £20/25m match day. Last figures I saw for for PL clubs corporate income we were behind Palace

We paid £103m in wages in our last accounts Paul Barber was paid just over £2m

andy1980

Feb 23, 2009
I think our net spend lat the start of the 20/21 season was about £6m. Not sure where the £0 comes from!!!

I wrote roughly £0. £6m is roughly £0 compared to the other 3 seasons of £60m in 19/20 £66m in 18/19 and £59m in 17/18.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If I was a fan of theirs, selling comfortably their best player in Buendia to mid table toss like Villa who they should be looking to take points off would piss me off massively.

Clearly happy to take the PL cash for a year again and subsequent parachute payments as they appear to already have accepted relegation. Waste of a PL place.

With respect, you are not a fan of them and therefore do not know what you are talking about from a Norwich fan’s perspective. Whilst being an Albion fan I follow Norwich, where. I was born. I would rather have a period of yo-yoing between Championship and PL, than have years in the doldrums like we have had. They haven’t got TB’s money and are having to fund the development of the infrastructure of their club in other ways. Credit them, credit their fans for understanding. From the times I have visited. Carrow Road as a Brighton fan they certainly get behind their team.

don't forget also championship teams were even worse hit by the lockdown as their tv visibility was slashed. many games not available anywhere. imagine having to go back to listening on the radio again..seems like a lifetime ago now

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
don't forget also championship teams were even worse hit by the lockdown as their tv visibility was slashed. many games not available anywhere. imagine having to go back to listening on the radio again..seems like a lifetime ago now
I thought most of the EFL games were available on iFollow ? ???

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth

We can’t afford to keep him on the 75K Villa are paying him every week now. Also there was an agreement with him when he sulked at the start of last season that he could leave if his valuation was met this summer. You appear under the impression we just take the prem money and don’t invest when we pretty much spend it all. Wages, bonuses, transfers, infrastructure etc. No benefactor for us I’m afraid so it’s a self sustaining model. We were in massive trouble the season we went down with Naismith and we’re reliant on selling Maddison and Murphy to balance the books.

There is no pot of gold getting promoted to the premier league and I’m absolutely fine not risking the club long term and spending years as mid table champ club or worse. Our annual accounts are very transparent.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
She may look daft as a brush but Delia has probably made more out of football than she ever will selling books on how to mash potatoes.

I reckon this is the 3rd time they've been promoted since the formation of the EPL ?

So for arguments sake let's say that's 300million in TV advertising rights plus prize money .

Add on the parachute payments say another 100 million .

Now I could be wrong but I doubt in that time Norwich have spent more than 100million in transfer fees .

Maybe say 50 million in staff and player wages , and possibly 20million on ground improvements.

These figures are plucked from thin air but I wouldn't mind betting Delia has a big fat plus in her bank account , obviously Norwich do not seem the type of club that will progress playing this system but as a business concern , it could be worse .

Where do you start with this 🙈

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Before the Premier League came along Norwich were regularly in Division One, alongside the likes of Nottingham Forest, QPR, Middlesbrough, Stoke, Coventry, Birmingham City, Derby, Sunderland, Bolton, Wimbledon and - most especially - Ipswich Town. Norwich are currently streets ahead of those clubs financially, AND they've won trophies - 3 Championship titles and a Wembley Play-Off Final.

The fans have a constant diet of promotion campaigns and relegation scraps - all of the clubs I named above would kill to be in their position.

The only criticism you could really level at them is in not creating either an elite academy or an international scouting network to unearth the players that could lift them up the Prem table. Selling Buendia would be more palatable if they were finding players like Bissouma, Caicedo, MacAllister or Moder.

Quick look at Wiki, they were traditionally a 2nd tier team and lower for the first 70 odd years of their existence then they had a good run in the top flight and some memorable european runs as well as some league cup success.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
:ffsparr:
Delia Smith bought into Norwich when they were skint and on the way to going bust. She saved the Club then there is no doubt about it but she has been paid that £1m loan back. She didn't write it off.

Since then she has drawn Millions in Salaries. Both her and her husband. She also opened her own restaurant within the ground which on match days alone are bursting to the brim. Not sure whether it opens on non match days.

So credit to her for financially saving the club when it needed but she has milked the " Gravy Train " since then. Her nephews I think also get paid handsomely from the club in jobs specially created for them.

It's their club and they are entitled to run it how they want but they are never gonna make a real fist of surviving in the PL for any length of time whilst they just see it as a personal money making excercise for the family.

Haha Hughton’s buddy is deluded shocker

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here