Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Norwich financial difficulties

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Those fearing Norwich beings 'team to beat' next year could all change,
They've lost their sponsors - Aviva who will become official partners of the premier league. Their banking facility is also recorded as being maxed out, and are rumoured to be facing a financial crisis, which could see an imminent sale of players.

Expect much of the same from Newcastle and Villa. It's called 'Doing A Pompey'. Last one off the sinking ship's a CISSY :wave:

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
Delia not putting anymore money into club according to reports. Board looking for early appointment of CEO and possibly foreign investment. All players up for sale it is alleged.

Oh dear, how sad, never mind

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
how does that happen, I though it was the promised land perhaps we dodged a bullet last night it seems..

Probably a case of once in the PL, they spend big to try to stay there (overspend compared to their income - large transfer fees and high wages) so relegation makes i worse with the big drop in tv money. Clubs higher up the PL try to qualify for Europe and overspend, etc....

How many PL clubs broke even or made a profit in any of the last 5 seasons or overall during that period?
It's the same in the Championship, teams over spend trying to get promoted to get that extra cash, risking their futures too (Albion c£200m in debt to Bloom)

Wherever a team plays, some fans will always want more and some owners will chase it, risking disaster (Pompey, etc) at what point do clubs say no, we are going to budget so we don't spend more than our income and break even at worst? (in fact, how many English league clubs broke even or made a profit recently / over a sustained period of time?

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
I'd take Bassong, Redmond and even a cheep Van Wolfswinkle.

We'd pay you to take Van Wolfswinkel

Seems a strange story as last year's accounts were fine, we're debt free and didn't have a very big net spend last season

Big reason for relegation was how tight we are and the former CEO was

The TSF has spoken nonsense before and aviva were always going to be ending their sponsorship this season so makes no difference

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
We'd pay you to take Van Wolfswinkel

Seems a strange story as last year's accounts were fine, we're debt free and didn't have a very big net spend last season

Big reason for relegation was how tight we are and the former CEO was

The TSF has spoken nonsense before and aviva were always going to be ending their sponsorship this season so makes no difference

Apart from VW, are there any other players that you'd be happy to see leave?

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
Also players like Redmond (final year), Naismith (useless and doesn't want to be here), Klose (too good for the championship) will probably go

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Probably a case of once in the PL, they spend big to try to stay there (overspend compared to their income - large transfer fees and high wages) so relegation makes i worse with the big drop in tv money. Clubs higher up the PL try to qualify for Europe and overspend, etc....

How many PL clubs broke even or made a profit in any of the last 5 seasons or overall during that period?
It's the same in the Championship, teams over spend trying to get promoted to get that extra cash, risking their futures too (Albion c£200m in debt to Bloom)

Wherever a team plays, some fans will always want more and some owners will chase it, risking disaster (Pompey, etc) at what point do clubs say no, we are going to budget so we don't spend more than our income and break even at worst? (in fact, how many English league clubs broke even or made a profit recently / over a sustained period of time?

Wow I never knew that, thanks dad.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
East Of The Sun, West Of The Moon

Those fearing Norwich beings 'team to beat' next year could all change,
They've lost their sponsors - Aviva who will become official partners of the premier league. Their banking facility is also recorded as being maxed out, and are rumoured to be facing a financial crisis, which could see an imminent sale of players.

Don't believe everything you read. I've heard that Norwich are stingy and don't pay their players all that much basic (by Premier League standards). They get a huge bonus for staying in the Premier League. The club will not have to pay that now. Their ticket prices are even higher than the Amex and that takes some doing.

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
Apart from VW, are there any other players that you'd be happy to see leave?

Maybe Bassong needs to go in order to freshen things up but loads of players who look terrible in the Prem can perform well in the champ. Jerome will probably have a decent season after an absolute shocker

Jarvis is useless but will probably do well at a lower level

No idea how he was capped by England

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
What did Burnley do with their Parachute payments then?

Continued paying their squad Premier wages, which was double what they earnt in the Championship previously. Then bought Andre Gray from the parachute payments and Bartons high wages but this was partially offset by selling Ings to Liverpool. Plus they paid a reputed £6m for the CB from Brentford.

jezzer

Jul 18, 2003
eastbourne
There's no way Norwich are gonna be in that bad a situation with the parachute payments for the next 2 yrs - they lose a few players but they're a solid club who don't splash the cash on big time Charlie's they will be in the top 6 I'm sure -just hope we are too

Bigtomfu

Jul 25, 2003
Harrow
Massive step up between being good enough for the championship and good enough for the PL. He'd be an excellent replacement for Greer if he gets released.

THIS

Bassong who's been relegated with Newcastle, Wolves and Norwich twice. No thanks.

Not THIS

Joking aside I have to agree with Da Man Clay he knows CH and vice versa, rumours that we were interested when he wasnt getting a run of games in the Norwich starting XI and I think maybe we need a sage head to challenge Goldson/Dunk.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here