Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Norwich a step up?????

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Norwich has been a step up from Brighton for at least 25 years....hopefully not for much longer though (if TB plays his cards right)

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Norwich is a massive step up from the Albion at the moment and talk of "that'll all change in 2 or 3 years" is all but a lifetime away to a promising young footballer.

Assuming Norwich are also offering him a reasonable pay hike, he'd be mad to not want to make the move if available to him.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
I love those stats. Being a 21 year old I've grown up with the Withdean, if Falmer can attract that kind of attendance regularly.. Well.. Just imagine eh!

That's why we who are old enough talk so much about 'potential'.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Norwich is a massive step up from the Albion at the moment and talk of "that'll all change in 2 or 3 years" is all but a lifetime away to a promising young footballer.

Assuming Norwich are also offering him a reasonable pay hike, he'd be mad to not want to make the move if available to him.

Exactly, been saying the same all morning. It's not personal just business. By the time Bennett's existing contract comes up for renewal (three years hence) he could be playing at a higher or lower level or injury could have ended his career. Like anybody he owes it to himself to make the most of what he has. All this nonsense about loyalty is just that. He owes this club nothing more than what he earns from his efforts on the pitch. He's no different to Bobby Zamora who also left us for greener pastures.

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
being purely objective i do find it quite amazing how some of your fans seem to think you're on a par with established sides of the top 2 divisions

having lived in sussex most of my life and been to the goldstone many times, all i remember is mediocrity and near oblivion

but good luck in getting where you want to be
No offence mike but we've as you rightly say have been in the lower leagues,but we have a good history of crowds in the lower divisions.You on the other hand have had great joy in the top two divisions,but the crowds you had where shite in the top flight for many years.

Also i had the pleasure of seeing you lot numerous times around the late 80's and 90's and must say your away followings were dire:)

England historical attendance and performance

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
yeah our support was shocking even in the early 90s

but now we've built up a fan base and have great away followings

at least brighton do have that now

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
but those fans have gone now and football has changed

kids support the prem teams

anyway, can you increase the capacity of falmer?

cos 22K isn't going to do any good if you're in the top flight

As has been said time after time it can very quickly (in a close season) be expanded to 30,000 by filling in the corners. The fact that some kids support Premier teams around here is because hither to they would not have the team or the facilities that we could have next season and beyond. Also, for the record, believe me armchair football fans are nothing new, there were as many when I was your age as there are now. If you have a well packaged product (which next season it looks like we will have) then the sort of figures I've been talking about are very possible. As I said earlier, we are in a far more densly populated county than you so if you can get decent crowds why do you think we can't ?

mike79

Sep 28, 2005
Bournemouth
mainly because you've had so few regular fans for so long

even at the goldstone

will be interesting to see how many you get

what are the projected attendances?

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Why is this still even being debated? :facepalm:

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
mainly because you've had so few regular fans for so long

even at the goldstone

will be interesting to see how many you get

what are the projected attendances?

Put it this way Im worried about getting a season ticket, not being a holder of one now and there will be 18k of those !

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Why is this still even being debated? :facepalm:

Because Michael, with his tender years and lack of knowledge of how things were pre Premier League can't bring himself to admit that Norwich are a bit limited long term. There's no certainty of our success but with a decent stadium and a team that will do it justice we have a lot going for us.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Because Michael, with his tender years and lack of knowledge of how things were pre Premier League can't bring himself to admit that Norwich are a bit limited long term. There's no certainty of our success but with a decent stadium and a team that will do it justice we have a lot going for us.

That is true, but the issue at hand here is a 21 year old footballer, with a short career, who has been told on the sly that another club, CURRENTLY at Championship level, with facilities already in place, POTENTIALLY with the chance to reach the Premier League within six months, who can offer him £15,000 per week or whatever, right NOW. As opposed to a third division team, who POTENTIALLY have the chance to play at Championship level, paying him the same money he's already on, and with shit facilities for the next five months.

We're all human, I'm frankly gobsmacked that anyone cannot see that 99% of footballers are going to go for what they can definitely get now, as opposed to what they might get in six months time.

History, blah blah blah, it means nothing to Elliott Bennett, or any other footballer. He wants to play football at the highest level he can for as long as he can, and that in his eyes means grabbing the opportunity when it arises, be that from Norwich, Burnley, Leeds or whoever else is sniffing around.

Take off the blue and white tinted specs, folks (and to those Norwich fans trolling around: don't kid yourself that if someone bigger than you came in, Bennett wouldn't drop you like a stone) and recognise this situation for what it is. Players don't care about potential, it's all about the here and now.

And, in all honesty, I don't blame them for trying. Irritating as it is for those who actually give a toss about our clubs.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
It is worth £90M to a club when promoted into the Premier League , which makes Norwich a step up

Smithy07

Jan 18, 2011

Not really any more limited than Brighton. If you get up and If you do ok in the championship then yes there is potential for there to be not too much difference between the clubs but it takes years to rebuild a fanbase and it can take years for a side to step up from League 1 to the prem. 2 or 3 years is a long time in football and most players will take the easy leg up every time.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
That is true, but the issue at hand here is a 21 year old footballer, with a short career, who has been told on the sly that another club, CURRENTLY at Championship level, with facilities already in place, POTENTIALLY with the chance to reach the Premier League within six months, who can offer him £15,000 per week or whatever, right NOW. As opposed to a third division team, who POTENTIALLY have the chance to play at Championship level, paying him the same money he's already on, and with shit facilities for the next five months.

We're all human, I'm frankly gobsmacked that anyone cannot see that 99% of footballers are going to go for what they can definitely get now, as opposed to what they might get in six months time.

History, blah blah blah, it means nothing to Elliott Bennett, or any other footballer. He wants to play football at the highest level he can for as long as he can, and that in his eyes means grabbing the opportunity when it arises, be that from Norwich, Burnley, Leeds or whoever else is sniffing around.

Take off the blue and white tinted specs, folks (and to those Norwich fans trolling around: don't kid yourself that if someone bigger than you came in, Bennett wouldn't drop you like a stone) and recognise this situation for what it is. Players don't care about potential, it's all about the here and now.

And, in all honesty, I don't blame them for trying. Irritating as it is for those who actually give a toss about our clubs.

I have been saying this since Norwich was first mooted.My understanding of this particular thread is that it concerns Norwich and Brighton as to their size and potential and not Mr Bennett. I cannot for the life of mne understand how anybody can complain about somebody trying to better themselves because frankly that's what most people do whatever their occupation.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Not really any more limited than Brighton. If you get up and If you do ok in the championship then yes there is potential for there to be not too much difference between the clubs but it takes years to rebuild a fanbase and it can take years for a side to step up from League 1 to the prem. 2 or 3 years is a long time in football and most players will take the easy leg up every time.

I was really refering to the fact that the population of Sussex is far greater than Norfolk. Down the road they have Ipswich who on paper are a bigger team than Norwich based on their past successes. I would say that what Norwich get attendance wise won't increase that much wereas we have the potential to go beyond that. If you look at the figures from times gone by quite clearly we had better gates even though at that point Norwich had a much better ground. You're right though, it's not going to happen from day one. The first season we had in Division One you had to get a season to be sure of getting in. The following three seasons the crowds did tail off though.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here