Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Norwegian clubs voting about boycotting Qatar

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
If PL clubs refused to release players for the tournament, that would diminish most national sides, and every national F.A. would then have decisions to make. But what would the blow back be for the PL clubs, and associations if they sabotaged the event to any degree?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
the time to boycott was when they couldnt deliver on the cooling tech and it got moved to winter. that was part of the pitch along with shiping the stadia off to developing nations after, also backtracked on i believe. the stadiums would have been cancelled and other nations build the alternative.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
On the basis that it is only being held there on the basis of fraud and backhanders, I would be quite happy if England withdrew. If FIFA then wanted to bring sanctions against the FA then they could counter sue them for their ineptitude, fraudulent practices and for being a bunch of numbskulls.

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014
On the basis that it is only being held there on the basis of fraud and backhanders, I would be quite happy if England withdrew. If FIFA then wanted to bring sanctions against the FA then they could counter sue them for their ineptitude, fraudulent practices and for being a bunch of numbskulls.

maybe the norwegians will start a domino effect, with us next, hopefully

SweatyMexican

Mar 31, 2013
I’d be bloody proud of my country if we made a statement and left the Qatar World Cup.

Sadly I don’t hold out any hope.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
We invented the game and and have absolutely no influence whatsoever in the running of it . We have the FA which literally does FA to defend or promote the very game that we watch being run corruptly . Other countries benefit from playing the brown envelope game , while we continue to doff our caps .

Well done Norway , and well done anyone else with the courage to back their convictions , i hope we are among them ! .

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Hopefully our National team will do they same, homophobia is rife in Qatar and how many slaves have lost their lives building the stadiums?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
We invented the game and and have absolutely no influence whatsoever in the running of it . We have the FA which literally does FA to defend or promote the very game that we watch being run corruptly . Other countries benefit from playing the brown envelope game , while we continue to doff our caps .

Well done Norway , and well done anyone else with the courage to back their convictions , i hope we are among them ! .

Not sure why 'inventing' the game qualifies England to have any more of a say. Their say is equal as it should be.

If anything it is unequal. Has there ever been a time when a vice-president wasn't British ?

Not only that, the UK has four seats at FIFA. A pretty unusual situation.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Not sure why 'inventing' the game qualifies England to have any more of a say. Their say is equal as it should be.

If anything it is unequal. Has there ever been a time when a vice-president wasn't British ?

Not only that, the UK has four seats at FIFA. A pretty unusual situation.

I didn`t say inventing the game qualifies England to have any more of a say , what i do say is that it should command more respect than one WC when England is the home of football .

As far as i am aware the VP role is the only nod to the fact that England created the game , the same as Dick Knight is lifetime President at The Albion .

The UK may have four seats at FIFA but England only has one , as far as i am aware the other three belong to Ireland Wales and Scotland , i have never heard of the UK team , please feel free to enlighten me .

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I didn`t say inventing the game qualifies England to have any more of a say , what i do say is that it should command more respect than one WC when England is the home of football .

As far as i am aware the VP role is the only nod to the fact that England created the game , the same as Dick Knight is lifetime President at The Albion .

The UK may have four seats at FIFA but England only has one , as far as i am aware the other three belong to Ireland Wales and Scotland , i have never heard of the UK team , please feel free to enlighten me .

This is why other nations get snakey.

Since 1966 (where England won the bid at the first time of asking) only Germany and Mexico have had two awards (neither of which had it before). Mexico only got the 1986 finals after, I think, Colombia withdrew.

There are many more nations involved now and many bids that can be considered. The UK cannot use the 'home of football' argument as a reasonable lever. I'm not sure that having the first FA is a valid argument, especially as they spent so much time refusing to be part of a wider international group.

There are quite a few nations that could make a bigger claim on Europe's turn, namely that they have never hosted it before.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Interesting, the only surprise is, that this wasn't voted on soon after the decision was made to hold them there, and long before now.

Hmm, possibly not a surprise really. They were probably hoping originally that, due to the inappropriate venue and the corrupt way it was awarded, the Powers That Be would come to their senses and change it. Now they know that that isn't going to happen at least the Norwegian teams are now discussing a boycott. I don't think the P.L teams have done the same (although I may have missed it, in which case apologies to the PL)

EDIT: Bollocks, just seen Swanny's other post where the clubs voted against a boycott. Any other nation brave enough to make a stand?

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I hope so badly that we boycott, it would be such a huge statement. But there is no way on earth it's going to happen. Can you imagine the meeting at the FA? All of those old fat cats sitting there voting to turn down the chance to be treated like royalty in Qatar for a month? Nah. Never ever going to happen.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here