Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Norwegian Air on the Brink ?

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
Lots of pilots and staff just taken an instant 20% pay cut.

Saw a dog-walking acquaintance today who is a Virgin 747 pilot.

He seemed so non-plussed with affairs that he shook my hand (is protocol to decline this now?).

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
How did she book it and through who? Also how did she pay? Did she also book and pay for any one of the following: Accommodation, Car Hire or Attraction tickets at the sme time?

Sent from my FIG-LX1 using Tapatalk

Hopefully they paid by credit card, which should give them protection under s75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

I'm guessing they booked it directly through the Norwegian Air website; I don't think they booked car rental at the same time, and pretty sure they didn't book accommodation or anything else. They must have used a credit card (although for years they didn't want a credit card so it's possible they did it through a friend's). Will be Skyping with them this weekend so will find out more.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
I'm guessing they booked it directly through the Norwegian Air website; I don't think they booked car rental at the same time, and pretty sure they didn't book accommodation or anything else. They must have used a credit card (although for years they didn't want a credit card so it's possible they did it through a friend's). Will be Skyping with them this weekend so will find out more.
Just my view - I suspect Mr Trump will make the decision before 31st March and pop another nail in airline's coffins and they'll get a full refund (if this puts Norwegian into administration, if paid by Credit Card, that's your route)

If Norwegian go bust before that or it doesn't happen, then again Credit Card Provider.

Some Travel Insurers include airline failure in their policies - another potential avenue if they bought a policy and it's included.

A number of Tour Operators offer flight only with ATOL protection and also cover for airline failures. Finally if booked as a Package, then there is cover for the whole package.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
How did she book it and through who? Also how did she pay? Did she also book and pay for any one of the following: Accommodation, Car Hire or Attraction tickets at the sme time?

Hopefully they paid by credit card, which should give them protection under s75 of the Consumer Credit Act.

Purely by chance, she just messaged me, so I asked her; paid by credit card.

AZ Gull

Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Just my view - I suspect Mr Trump will make the decision before 31st March and pop another nail in airline's coffins and they'll get a full refund (if this puts Norwegian into administration, if paid by Credit Card, that's your route)

If Norwegian go bust before that or it doesn't happen, then again Credit Card Provider.

Some Travel Insurers include airline failure in their policies - another potential avenue if they bought a policy and it's included.

A number of Tour Operators offer flight only with ATOL protection and also cover for airline failures. Finally if booked as a Package, then there is cover for the whole package.

Thanks for the response.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
My sister was due to travel to Denmark tomorrow with Norwegian. Denmark has just closed its borders so she clearly can't go. Norwegian have refused to refund or rebook her for free even though she won't be allowed in. Good customer service!

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
My sister was due to travel to Denmark tomorrow with Norwegian. Denmark has just closed its borders so she clearly can't go. Norwegian have refused to refund or rebook her for free even though she won't be allowed in. Good customer service!
This is happening a lot (Easyjet are good at it!) as because there is so much changing very quickly, the call centres aren't being kept up to date with the latest information and are quoting standard terms. I suspect that will change and they will give refunds...

I'm on travel forums and info on there is normally roughly a couple of hours ahead of say the FCO travel advice pages.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
This is happening a lot (Easyjet are good at it!) as because there is so much changing very quickly, the call centres aren't being kept up to date with the latest information and are quoting standard terms. I suspect that will change and they will give refunds...

I'm on travel forums and info on there is normally roughly a couple of hours ahead of say the FCO travel advice pages.

Thanks for the info - I'll pass that on ta.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Has the flight been cancelled?

According to this, she’s legally entitled to a refund.

7E1D19DC-4314-4DC4-A0C1-3C3D6B5971BA.png

Their (genuine in this case) use of the force majeure copout, does not apply to simply repaying the cost. Force majeure only allows the airline to refuse to pay the entirely separate EU261 flat rate compensation.

If the flight cost more than £100 and was paid by credit card, it can be pursued through them as they are jointly and severally liable for the breach of contract.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Easyjet - simply claim online in your account. No need to call them. They refund costs swiftly.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Easyjet - simply claim online in your account. No need to call them. They refund costs swiftly.

Agreed......daughter has had 2-3 recently cancelled Edi/LGW flights where she’s rebooked on to BA. Every time EasyJet have refunded rapidly, and also paid comp where they had to - exceptional service.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Agreed......daughter has had 2-3 recently cancelled Edi/LGW flights where she’s rebooked on to BA. Every time EasyJet have refunded rapidly, and also paid comp where they had to - exceptional service.

Not doubting that at all - I was just saying it's taken them and other airlines time to get the latest news and instructions to their Call Centres over the last 48hrs and they have been behind in giving the right info - once it's been updated they've been very good, hence saying with Norwegian in that particular instance their stance will probably change. Lots of frustrated people in the Trade who are on top of things, waiting for airlines and other Operators to update their staff - which is perfectly understandable in the extraordinary circumstances.....

To give you an just one of many examples of how the Trade has your back, a fellow Agent had customers going out to the US to pick up a cruise yesterday. An hour before departure, the Agent learned that the Cruise had been cancelled so they set about trying to get a message to the customers not to fly out - this was achieved when they were at the gate via contacts within BA getting the message to them. Saved a whole lot of pain....

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Hmmm, not true. EasyJet are allowing all flights to be changed free or charge....you just pay the price difference.

Balders

Aug 19, 2013
Hmmm, not true. EasyJet are allowing all flights to be changed free or charge....you just pay the price difference.

Again, not doubting that they are doing that - as above, I was referring to advice given by Call Centres who are a little bit behind the latest information, particularly where borders are being closed where they should be giving full refunds, but their staff aren't up to date with which borders are closed and are quoting standard T&C's... Give it a couple of hours and it will be the correct info.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Again, not doubting that they are doing that - as above, I was referring to advice given by Call Centres who are a little bit behind the latest information, particularly where borders are being closed where they should be giving full refunds, but their staff aren't up to date with which borders are closed and are quoting standard T&C's... Give it a couple of hours and it will be the correct info.

A couple of hours is how long it takes to get through to airline call centres at the moment :lolol:

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I feel sorry for the staff, but that is a shambles of an airline in my experience and will be no great loss to aviation.

I think they’ll be a massive loss. Ive flown with them probably 50+ times (short haul) and the planes are great, the service excellent and on the routes I’ve flown the delays have been very rare.

They’re not very good at long haul by all accounts but otherwise I don’t think many others offer that level of service at such a good price.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Has the flight been cancelled?

According to this, she’s legally entitled to a refund.

View attachment 121002

Their (genuine in this case) use of the force majeure copout, does not apply to simply repaying the cost. Force majeure only allows the airline to refuse to pay the entirely separate EU261 flat rate compensation.

If the flight cost more than £100 and was paid by credit card, it can be pursued through them as they are jointly and severally liable for the breach of contract.

Thanks for the reply. No, the flight hasn't yet been cancelled which is the problem. Once its cancelled she's sorted but as it's going in a couple of hours it doesn't look like it's going to be. She'll try them again this morning otherwise I guess she will try on her insurance.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Will it make much difference? There can't be many folk who will book anything up right now.

I've put off booking our Summer holiday, but I don't expect the world to be in any fit state for holiday travel come August, and I'm already tempering my son's expectations regarding our October half-term holiday booking (flights to Miami) as, again, I'm fart from convinced that there will be any kind of normality by then.

Yeah, people were still travelling (in lesser numbers granted) First estimates is VAA will lose 300 million and that was before Disney/Universal shut and the travel ban - both affect that number massively.

Jamaica is considering shutting its boarders now as well.

Whilst I get why they are shutting boarders, they need to be careful as places like Jamaica will potentially shoot themselves in the foot if airlines stop flying there.

The only way I can see some airlines surviving is if one or two go under and the others get there bookings.

Most people I work with have accepted there will be a lot of job losses.

I would add, dont expect much of an answer other than “speak to your travel insurance” under any circumstances if you can’t go - Holiday companies just don’t have the money.

I expect the travel industry to change massively after this - from stopping the delay repay comp/entry into counties/insurance companies.

Without turning it into a Brexit thread - without airlines the brave new world will be a struggle.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here