Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Northern Soul, Motown and 60s garage

UnhookedGeneration

Sep 6, 2010
if any of you lovely Brighton people are into your Northern Soul/Soul/Motown and Garage come on down to the jazz place this Saturday 11th for some of thisss. Sorry for the spamming!!!

After the full to capacity launch night in August, once again we bring you......

A night of 60s Soul/Motown/Northern Soul/Garage.

Saturday 11th September

£4 before 12/£5 after...

DRINKS DEALS: 4 JAGERBOMBS for £10/ £2.50 VK/ £2 CARSLBERG/ 1.50 SOURZ SHOTS.

DRESS UP TO GET DOWN

Expect to hear:

Martha Reeves & The Vandellas / The Four Tops/ The Velvettes / The Temptations/ Freda Payne/ The Ronettes/ The Shirelles / Frank Wilson/ Stevie Wonder/ Diana Ross & The Supremes/ The Marvelettes / Smokey Robinson & The Miracles/ Otis Redding/ Sam Cooke/ Ike & Tina Turner/ Mary Wells/ Sam & Dave/ Jean Knight/ Wilson Pickett/ Gloria Jones/ The Spencer Davis Group/ Jackson 5/ Lyn Collins/ Dusty Springfield/ Laura Lee/ Aretha Franklin/ Marvin Gaye/ Al Green/ Chuck Wood/ Chairmen Of The Board/ John Mayall/ Georgie Fame/ Archie Bell and the Drells/ The Masqueraders/ The Exciters/ The Marvelows /Just Brothers/ The Kingsmen / The Sonics / Palace Guard/ The Gants / Doris/ Dantes / Shadows of Knight / The Castaways/The Byrds/ The Kinks / The Faces and more....

Spun Cuppa

Thanks Greens :(
Good Luck with that...

I've only ever been to two NS nights

One at The 100 Club in London, and another in a remote village hall in West Sussex

I aked the lady running the latter why have it there, as it was miles from anywhere, and she said, 'Exactly...' ???

UnhookedGeneration

Sep 6, 2010
cool!

well come on down on saturday, come and talk to either of the girls dj'ing and if you're up for it maybe you can come and have a little slot, its on every month and we're always looking for guest dj's..

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
cool!

well come on down on saturday, come and talk to either of the girls dj'ing and if you're up for it maybe you can come and have a little slot, its on every month and we're always looking for guest dj's..

It says £5.00 entry after 12. What time does it close?

And yes, I'd love to do a guest slot sometime in the near future.

I hope to be able to make it to this one (I have something else doing earlier on), so might see you there.

UnhookedGeneration

Sep 6, 2010
Jazz Place is on Ship Street underneath the Smugglers, it used to be the Jazz Rooms I think, its a good little venue, not too big or poncy and generallly not full of twats.

Its on til 3am so still worth a fiver i think for 3 hours of banging tunes. We were at capacity last month by about 1.30ish.

If you do come down come say hello and if not you can send a message to me on here or email unhookedgeneration@gmail.com and we can see what we can sort out.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Jazz Place is on Ship Street underneath the Smugglers, it used to be the Jazz Rooms I think, its a good little venue, not too big or poncy and generallly not full of twats.

Its on til 3am so still worth a fiver i think for 3 hours of banging tunes. We were at capacity last month by about 1.30ish.

If you do come down come say hello and if not you can send a message to me on here or email unhookedgeneration@gmail.com and we can see what we can sort out.

:thumbsup:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
In the olden days wasn't it called the Cavern . . . . there used to be a scooterists orientated do every Wed (circa 87). . . mostly Kent, northern, soul etc, I used to go every week when I got my first scooter . . . . .

loking at the list of stuff it reminds me of all the new songs I'm learning to play as after 25 years playing blues, rock etc I'm now in a Soul review band called the Motones . . . . ( another NSCer is the drummer) we'll be gigging in November hopefully . . .

I suppose we could/might be the frst BHA appreciating Pukka Soul review band . . . . cant be a bad thing :clap2:

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Expect to hear:

Martha Reeves & The Vandellas / The Four Tops/ The Velvettes / The Temptations/ Freda Payne/ The Ronettes/ The Shirelles / Frank Wilson/ Stevie Wonder/ Diana Ross & The Supremes/ The Marvelettes / Smokey Robinson & The Miracles/ Otis Redding/ Sam Cooke/ Ike & Tina Turner/ Mary Wells/ Sam & Dave/ Jean Knight/ Wilson Pickett/ Gloria Jones/ The Spencer Davis Group/ Jackson 5/ Lyn Collins/ Dusty Springfield/ Laura Lee/ Aretha Franklin/ Marvin Gaye/ Al Green/ Chuck Wood/ Chairmen Of The Board/ John Mayall/ Georgie Fame/ Archie Bell and the Drells/ The Masqueraders/ The Exciters/ The Marvelows /Just Brothers/ The Kingsmen / The Sonics / Palace Guard/ The Gants / Doris/ Dantes / Shadows of Knight / The Castaways/The Byrds/ The Kinks / The Faces and more....

Sounds like what you would hear back in the day at Scooter rallies, when the Dj would mix it up. To be honest I can not understand where the connection from say Stevie Wonder and the Sonics is, and dont see the two on the same set list, and hated it because Djs would do maybe 5 songs Soul & then 5 Songs Motown etc etc, Sorry mate just dont see the connection from Soul,Funk and 60s Garage punk like Surfin Bird or Love me by the Phantom. There thats my grumpy old man moment (Good luck though) :thumbsup:

UnhookedGeneration

Sep 6, 2010
Sounds like what you would hear back in the day at Scooter rallies, when the Dj would mix it up. To be honest I can not understand where the connection from say Stevie Wonder and the Sonics is, and dont see the two on the same set list, and hated it because Djs would do maybe 5 songs Soul & then 5 Songs Motown etc etc, Sorry mate just dont see the connection from Soul,Funk and 60s Garage punk like Surfin Bird or Love me by the Phantom. There thats my grumpy old man moment (Good luck though) :thumbsup:

HA fair enough... personally i like a bit of barefacts followed by smokey robinson.. i think mixing it up a bit keeps it a bit different and as i like both garage and motown i enjoy playing them side by side. :D...but like i said fair enough! although we definitely won't be playing any funk i can assure you of that.

sams dad

I hate Palarse
Feb 7, 2004
The Hill of The Gun
if any of you lovely Brighton people are into your Northern Soul/Soul/Motown and Garage come on down to the jazz place this Saturday 11th for some of thisss. Sorry for the spamming!!!

After the full to capacity launch night in August, once again we bring you......

A night of 60s Soul/Motown/Northern Soul/Garage.

Saturday 11th September

£4 before 12/£5 after...

DRINKS DEALS: 4 JAGERBOMBS for £10/ £2.50 VK/ £2 CARSLBERG/ 1.50 SOURZ SHOTS.

DRESS UP TO GET DOWN

Expect to hear:

That's my kind of music. Takes me back to the late 60's/ early 70's at the Top Rank Suite.
I'd love to join you but at 58 years old, I think I would feel a bit out of place.
Hope you have a great night.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
HA fair enough... personally i like a bit of barefacts followed by smokey robinson.. i think mixing it up a bit keeps it a bit different and as i like both garage and motown i enjoy playing them side by side. :D...but like i said fair enough! although we definitely won't be playing any funk i can assure you of that.

When I did my club a few years ago - 'Move On Up' it was called - it was at the time of Britpop, you could tell there was a fairly direct lineage from mod of the 60s, through mod revival of the late 70s, through to what was contemporary then. It's not too much of a deviation to throw in The Stone Roses, Dodgy and St Etienne. Toss in some Motown, Northern Soul, ska, reggae, Dusty Springfield etc, it made for a good night. Well, I enjoyed it.

Talking of St Etienne leads me on to another story. The guys from St Etienne were DJing upstairs at The Loft Club (can't remember its name now - it's at the bottom of Dyke Road, behind where Gamleys was), while I was DJing downstairs, flogging tapes of the stuff I used to play (v. naughty) . One thing I completely forgot when Pete Wiggs came downstairs to see what was happening was when he came to look at the compilation tapes and saw that one of his own songs was on there... :facepalm:

Last edited:

UnhookedGeneration

Sep 6, 2010
When I did my club a few years ago - 'Move On Up' it was called - it was at the time of Britpop, you could tell there was a fairly direct lineage from mod of the 60s, through mod revival of the late 70s, through to what was contemporary then. It's not too much of a deviation to throw in The Stone Roses, Dodgy and St Etienne. Toss in some Motown, Northern Soul, ska, reggae, Dusty Springfield etc, it made for a good night. Well, I enjoyed it.

there's definitely a connection between all that stuff, i think i remember that night actually.. where was it? We decided though to keep it strictly 60s (well 59 to 71 to allow a little bit of leeway either side:lolol:)

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
there's definitely a connection between all that stuff, i think i remember that night actually.. where was it? We decided though to keep it strictly 60s (well 59 to 71 to allow a little bit of leeway either side:lolol:)

The one I did started in the aforementioned Loft Club, and moved to The Joint in West Street.

At our first birthday party (the night after England demolished Holland 4-1 during Euro 96), we gave out free jelly & ice cream to everyone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here