Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Sussex] Northern Lights...

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
... They're Alright :thumbsup:

BBC reporting that folks in Norfolk got a good light show last night:

Facebook group Bognor Regis Matters (yes, really) has photos showing a similar light smattering

Screenshot_20231106_145104_WhatsApp.jpg

What's the chances of a repeat show under clear skies tonight?

Two apps are your friend here:

- 'Aurora' for a global view, including live webcams from all over the place

- 'AuroraWatchUK' for alerts nearer home

And if it all comes to nothing...

30fjrf.jpg

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

Facebook group Bognor Regis Matters (yes, really) has photos showing a similar light smattering

View attachment 169247

View attachment 169248

Did you get to see them from Rovaniemi? We didn't, my closest experience is still just this.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Did you get to see them from Rovaniemi? We didn't, my closest experience is still just this.

Nope, not a thing in Rovaniemi. A very faint showing in Tromso tho. Annoyingly there's always someone out there only too happy to let you know that you should have been here last week or last night or an hour ago, when they were really quite spectacular :rolleyes:

PeterT

Apr 21, 2017
Hove
Nope, not a thing in Rovaniemi. A very faint showing in Tromso tho. Annoyingly there's always someone out there only too happy to let you know that you should have been here last week or last night or an hour ago, when they were really quite spectacular :rolleyes:
Exactly the same for me in the same places you mention above!

I’m giving it another go this winter but suspect I’ll see nothing other than a large credit card bill!

Wardy's twin

Oct 21, 2014

View attachment 169247

View attachment 169248

I know there have been a few pictures taken from Devil's Dyke this year , some better than others. I took a picture in Iceland but the technology was so poor it just looked like a bit of green haze. Would love to see them properly and that really means going back there or Norway or Iceland but then you have to do battle with the snow. Most pictures are long exposure because they are not bright enough without doing that so what you get here i something not dissimilar to the orange glow you get over a city (though that is perhaps less common as LEDS being used)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
There are several photos on FB from north of Peacehaven to Devils Dyke (although FB has banned the use of Dyke so people have to type DD now) showing photos of the lights.
I have an app for the Aurora but annoyingly, it didn't alert me yesterday evening.

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
There are several photos on FB from north of Peacehaven to Devils Dyke (although FB has banned the use of Dyke so people have to type DD now) showing photos of the lights.
I have an app for the Aurora but annoyingly, it didn't alert me yesterday evening.
Devil's Dyke is okay to use, now. :)

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Make sure she does not marry your son, she’s a liar, everyone knows Sainsburys shuts at 4 on a Sunday….
…and gets taken over by local yoofs doing doughnuts in their modified hatchbacks. So there could be that too?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
We booked Tromso for Whale watching, the fjords and northern lights (among other things). Ended up seeing everything but the northern lights!

As much as I'd love to see them in the UK I'm not sure it would get anywhere close to actually seeing them where they're at their most vivid.

Zeberdi

Brighton born & bred
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Not good views for me up here in Norfolk as Im surrounded by forest but certainly yellow glow with some pink reflected off a few buildings - will try again this evening - its a clear night here until nearly midnight

Edit
I hadn’t heard of that App but just downloaded it - no significant activity reported for tonight sadly but the App did save me trek down the garden!

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here