Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Northern Lights

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
IMG_4320.png
IMG_4322.png
Yes, I think that's the best strategy - go and enjoy the trip and environment, if you then get to see the Northern Lights it's a fantastic bonus.

I'm flying to Rovaniemi in the new year then doing a bit of train travel down through Finland. Hopefully I'll see something but I'm certain I'll enjoy myself regardless.

We went to Oslo and then Rovaniemi in Dec 2021, days before another lockdown. That was a trip of a lifetime. We’ll hopefully doing more travelling around the Nordic lands.

The first pic was landing at lunchtime!

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
My in laws visited Iceland February about 5 years ago and friends did a two week cruise March last year up Norway’s coast, all specifically to see the Northern Lights and no one had any luck. Cloud.

It’s on our list. I’ll research a lot beforehand on locations and best months, I’m thinking of Alta.

We love snowy, cold and scenic environments anyway, so it won’t be a wasted trip.
I took Mrs D to Alta in January for our joint 40th birthday. It is one of the best places to see the lights as it has a dry climate due to its location, so I definitely recommend it.

We spent a weekend there and saw the lights on Friday night, a bit on the Saturday and a lot from the plane on our back to Bergen on the Sunday.

We combined seeing the lights with dog sledding and snowmobiling. Let me know if you’d recommendations.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I took Mrs D to Alta in January for our joint 40th birthday. It is one of the best places to see the lights as it has a dry climate due to its location, so I definitely recommend it.

We spent a weekend there and saw the lights on Friday night, a bit on the Saturday and a lot from the plane on our back to Bergen on the Sunday.

We combined seeing the lights with dog sledding and snowmobiling. Let me know if you’d recommendations.

Thank you so much. We must go to Alta, but it may be couple of years away.

My daughter would love to live in Norway! :) What’s your biased view?

Drebin

Jul 25, 2011
Norway
Thank you so much. We must go to Alta, but it may be couple of years away.

My daughter would love to live in Norway! :) What’s your biased view?

High standard of living with plenty of opportunities for young people. It’s easy to live a comfortable life here and despite taxes being high, jobs generally pay well.

I’ve lived here 17 years and although people are pleasant, I find the society is to a degree a closed network. It’s harder to meet people than in the UK and I miss the pub, restaurant, cafe culture in England. Unless you live in a bigger town, villages don’t have focal points so you don’t bump into people you know like you would in England.

The countryside is spectacular here and I love skiing, but give me a walk up to either Chanctonbury or Cissbury ring any day.

Oh, and it’s too far from the Amex.

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
We did a 5 day trip to Tromso, ticked all the boxes... humpback whales, Orcas, sea eagles and elk but despite it being the bedt time for the northern lights we were scuppered by thick cloud.

Thr couple we stayed with lived on a fjord where some evenings you could see the hue of the lights on the backs of whales 20 years ago. Unfortunately the herring stopped coming and the next season the wales left and never returned. They had some incredible photos they shared with us.

An incredible experience if anyone gets the chance and Tromso is a good little city.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
High standard of living with plenty of opportunities for young people. It’s easy to live a comfortable life here and despite taxes being high, jobs generally pay well.

I’ve lived here 17 years and although people are pleasant, I find the society is to a degree a closed network. It’s harder to meet people than in the UK and I miss the pub, restaurant, cafe culture in England. Unless you live in a bigger town, villages don’t have focal points so you don’t bump into people you know like you would in England.

The countryside is spectacular here and I love skiing, but give me a walk up to either Chanctonbury or Cissbury ring any day.

Oh, and it’s too far from the Amex.

That’s why I’ll stay in Sussex, but I’ll always travel. Loved Oslo btw.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here