Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North Korea video from official state website

Lawson

Feb 25, 2012
I don't think we need fear a country that uses clips from a video game in their propaganda video. Also how crappy does that video look! i mean most kids with GCSE in IT could do better than that. Anyway North Korea is crumbling in on itself with the rampant famine that keeps reoccurring and spreading throughout the country, and if these conditions prevail the nation could hopefully be torn apart from the inside. In recent years the US has bailed North Korea out of their famines, however the goods have to be supplied in unmarked ships so they believe their own government is procuring it. The question is do you give food and risk legitimising the government, or do you deprive them of food that results in the loss of potentially thousands of lives but with the chance of overthrowing a totalitarian government with a dangerous and aggressive foreign policy? In recent years even China has weakened her ties with North Korea so if you could broker a united front with China then surely the limited threat of North Korea could be put to bed once and for all. Although North Korea does serve our government's politically, like Iran it can be wheeled out as an example to show that we may have corruption here but least you have greater political freedoms.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
Think they should get hold of Pixar or someone similar before they make their next animated video, that one is shit.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
If there was oil there, N Korea would have been 'dealt with' years ago.

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
US bailing out North Korea during the famines? I think you'll find that the famines were made far worse by US sanctions!

The world should just leave North Korea alone. It's a developing nation that would be doing a whole lot better if it wasn't for the Western sanctions. In fact considering the very limited resources it has at its disposal, it is doing incredibly well for itself. Just because it doesn't share the Western idea of democracy and free speech, doesn't give anyone the right to dictate how they should be doing things.

Absolute total and utter tosh. North Korea is one of the poorest countries in the World due to its idiotic leadership by the Jong dynasty over the last 60 years. It regularly has famines due to its poor political leadership. It spends money on satellites and A-Bomb's that don't really properly work and yet at the same time it's people starve.

The following article was all over the press about a week or so ago (times/telegraph/guradian etc). It has regular famines, while South Korea with pretty much the same climate (but a differing political situation) does not.

North korea famine cannibalism | North Korea News | The Week UK

You say it is doing incredibly well for itself (ha, ha, ha it is one of the poorest countries in the world) not if compared and contrasted to South Korea it isn't. You also say that the world should leave N Korea alone, but whom has put out this video? It is blatant goading of the USA.

They're only ally (China) is becoming a bit more standoff-ish with them, IF they did launch an unprovoked attack on the US I think North Korea would find China remarkably quiet.
I've no doubt that Pyongyang is fully aware of there chances in open combat.

It's all bravado, from a country that has nothing to back it with.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If they could launch a missile like that, you'd think they could do a better job of producing a video! Looks like some pre-school kid playing around on a 30 year old computer program

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
The problem is that North Korea can't let its guard down, partly because they are technically still at war with the South, but also because they have more powerful enemies which have made no secret of the fact they want the regime destroyed - and given USA's track record, they probably would too. It does not invest so heavily in its military for no reason.

North Korea has the wealth of a poverty stricken Sub Saharan nation, but unlike those nations it still excels with education, technology, science, art and culture. This is what I mean when I say it is doing well.

To solve poverty there, it needs wealth - but the sanctions imposed by the West has the opposite effect and makes poverty far worse, and in turn leads to the opportunity for propaganda such as the contents of the link you provided.

The world should be helping North Korea by helping to end the war and providing aid, instead of aggravating the conflict & increasing poverty there solely because it disagrees with its political ideology (one that the North Korean people would never abandon)

You talk nonsence, how can any country be doing well when it's people suffer man made famines. N Korean's whom escape to China/S Korea etc. say that this occurs now. It also does not excel at anything (well apart from Gulag's) its technology for example is dreadful compared to South Korea's. It's art is propoganda paying homage to the Jong dynasty or is anti American bile.

Have you seen the programme on Nat Geo where the Nepalese eye doctor has to go to North Korea to remove cataracts (1000 in a week) because the general public's diet is so poor. I would recommend you do so because you can get a glimpse of what N Korea is like, you can see what "technology and science" the hospitals in N Korea has to offer to. The way the generator struggles to work when the electricity goes off is a wonder of the modern world.

Countries don't have to remain on a war footing with the USA forever, it is the choice of the Jong dynasty to do so and its people suffer. Vietnam (after what happened to them) whom have more of a gripe with the USA than N Korea doesn't.

Lawson

Feb 25, 2012
US bailing out North Korea during the famines? I think you'll find that the famines were made far worse by US sanctions!

The world should just leave North Korea alone. It's a developing nation that would be doing a whole lot better if it wasn't for the Western sanctions. In fact considering the very limited resources it has at its disposal, it is doing incredibly well for itself. Just because it doesn't share the Western idea of democracy and free speech, doesn't give anyone the right to dictate how they should be doing things.

I think you will find if you read about North Korea that America supplied North Korea with food aid after their famine and flooding, and only withdrew this essential aid last year after the planned to divert money to continue their weapon development.

Are you serious or do you just know nothing about North Korea or history? Yes it doesn't share democracy, but free speech and access to information is a basic right anyone should be able to have without fear of criminal repercussions and mistreatment. It is widely known that North Korea has concentration camps still in existence in which millions have been held since the Korean War for so called 'political crimes', and these camps keep individuals in inhumane conditions, frequently use torture, and execute those held without any true judicial procedure or legal justification. Yes it is true you cannot dictate how countries are run, however there are limits and exceptions to every rule, and when people can be born into concentration camps from which they can never leave and innocent people are mistreated on such a wide scale then intervention is neccessary.

You are also forgetting they are attempting to arm militarily and display openly aggression to other nations, and this distinguishes them from China and Russia in the way that North Korea do not attempt to integrate themselves with the international community and seek to harm the lives of those in other nations. The rate of emigration is high from North Korea, and people risk their lives to escape every day, the people do not want this form of government that forces them to live in third world standards and attempts to keep them from modernization.

Read a book or follow the news before you attempt to discuss a subject you clearly no nothing about.

peterward

NSC Patron
Nov 11, 2009
The problem is that North Korea can't let its guard down, partly because they are technically still at war with the South, but also because they have more powerful enemies which have made no secret of the fact they want the regime destroyed - and given USA's track record, they probably would too. It does not invest so heavily in its military for no reason.

North Korea has the wealth of a poverty stricken Sub Saharan nation, but unlike those nations it still excels with education, technology, science, art and culture. This is what I mean when I say it is doing well.

To solve poverty there, it needs wealth - but the sanctions imposed by the West has the opposite effect and makes poverty far worse, and in turn leads to the opportunity for propaganda such as the contents of the link you provided.

The world should be helping North Korea by helping to end the war and providing aid, instead of aggravating the conflict & increasing poverty there solely because it disagrees with its political ideology (one that the North Korean people would never abandon)

I am not an interventionist, but your defence of a ruthless totalitarian regime is misguided. North Korea is a country that has massive human rights violations. If someone tries to escape from the poverty, their whole family will be picked up, wife, kids, aunts and uncles and sent to the gulag where they will become slave labourers until they die.
North Korea is a stalinist regime that lies to its people, telling them they are "lucky" to be North Korean, all mobiles are blocked from having any communication with the South just so the regime can perpetuate the myth that living conditions in the south are far worse than the north. They only allow a state controlled intranet and no internet, why? seeing as the people would never abandon that way of life as you suggest...... Of course they would if the people new the real truth, the regime would disintergrate very quickly. If people could see how the world lives and especoially South korea, do you think they would still be delighted with their living conditions and hail their dear leaders now knowing they have been lied to for generations?

Nothing North korea does is generally ideological, for the political elite and those who design and implement the propaganda know full well they are lying about reality. All the mis-information that spews out of every form of state controlled media about the country and its "descending from God" leaders, is simply to keep people in the dark about reality so that the few elites can live a life of luxury with un-challeneged power.

Other dictatorships like Zimbabwe dont make videos threatening to nuke other nations or fire rockets at islands or another nations ships

Maybe its better this way for the subjected North Korean suffering masses rather than knowing the real truth without daring to speak it as many in Saddams Iraq did. But don't delude yourself that North Korea is a model for anything other than keeping a few in luxury at any expense.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Well, I wouldnt worry. Would have thought the N.Korea has two or three targets on their list before the UK, and by then, the war would be over anyway.
If a leader wanted to launch nukes, and we were on their list, they wouldn't launch one, and then another the next day (as there wouldn't be a next day for them), they'd launch them all at the same time.

Any country that launches a nuclear missile at any other country has to be pretty damn stupid IMO. Knowing full well that in all probability there will be one coming back at some point. Whether its a direct retaliation or through an ally
Fortunately, no world leaders are stupid. Oh.

All it takes is one idiot (either someone who's dying and wants to inflict massive damage around the world, who also doesn't care about his own people, or some religious nut that thinks he's doing gods will) with the power, and nukes will happen.

churley1

Oct 13, 2009
Bogota

Still at war with South Korea you say? Well, yes. But who's choice is that? Let's not forget they are the ones threatening the South and opening fire upon them. It would be fantastic for the "war" to end but North Korea have shown no interest in doing so, have they?

Where exactly do they exceed with education and science? Please, I'd love for you to enlighten us on actual evidence given it's not just propaganda against the US they love to spout, but also how wonderful their ailing country is with next to no evidence. I wasn't aware that any breakthrough's in technology came from North Korea. They tried to build a hotel to dominate the skyline but left it half built as they were totally inept at understanding the architecture needed and even photoshopped it out of their skyline.

Of course there have been sanctions against them, but even China have been critical of their approach of late. Did you know that North Korea agreed in exchange for opening talks on their nuclear intentions, the US would send them millions of tonnes worth of food to prevent further crippling poverty. One year later they are testing rockets and increasing their weaponry, and you wonder why the West have made sanctions?

I'd love for there to be world peace and I find North Korea fascinating, but they have no interest in communicating with the outside world with their lunatic family controlling the country so unless that changes then let them be, I couldn't think of a worse ideology.

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost

My god you sound like a f***ing SWP member

What about these...

http://www.autoguide.com/auto-news/2011/07/kim-jong-il-buys-mercedes-benz-s600-pullman-guard-while-north-korea-starves.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/northkorea/8773804/North-Koreas-luxury-goods-imports-surge.html

They need wealth? They clearly have some money, unfortunately that is being misused. The world helped North Korea for well over 60 years, they abused the terms of the aid (specifically that it should be given to the public and that they shouldn't engage in weapons programs). The U.S have been one of the biggest providers of aid to North Korea, behind China.
If you want a PDF on aid by the U.S to North Korea, have a look at this, It'll show you what the world does for them.

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=11&ved=0CIwBEBYwCg&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.fas.org%2Fsgp%2Fcrs%2Frow%2FR40095.pdf&ei=XnsSUYblMuil0AXR5YH4Dw&usg=AFQjCNGpXqdlWgbZlhVUWkCDpAdNUX4N2A&sig2=pymFFzTvJN2UeyscvYDcVw&bvm=bv.41934586,d.d2k

simmo

Feb 8, 2008
The US has imposed sanctions on North Korea since the 50's, and not a lot has changed since. They were lifted in '94 during their great famine but it didn't last long.

It appears that you take everything you read in the news as gospel , while failing to realise that much of what is reported on the secretive state is propaganda originating from Japan, South Korea & the US. The prisons there are in all probability horrific, but nobody really knows for sure, to compare them to concentration camps is extreme, as all the claims you have made are just assumptions based on the word of their enemies. You will occasionally see or read interviews with defectors, but suffice to say they are enemies of the state too.

If you read about their "Juche" ideology you will realise that North Korea is not an aggressive nation, it's the opposite. It only aspires to be self sufficient, both economically and militarily, but of course it reacts when it is antagonised.

Do you realise how absurd you sound, you have a go at the rest of us for being fooled by propoganda but you have been taken in by NK propoganda hook line and sinker. Far more than any of us have by coming to a conclusion about what it is like in N Korea from information we get from multiple media outlets, I myself have read similar information/propoganda coming from NK, but this is contradicted by a myriad of other information I have got from multiple reputable (non government alligned/independant) sources.

Your last sentence is for example nonsence (about it not being an aggresive nation) and I can give examples that contradict that. Just think about this for a second before/if you reply, in the last 3 years N Korea torpedoed a S Korean boat, killing (approx 50) S Korean sailors and bombed a S Korean island (near the border). NK have also tested an atomic bomb and now they send out this video goading the USA.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
If a leader wanted to launch nukes, and we were on their list, they wouldn't launch one, and then another the next day (as there wouldn't be a next day for them), they'd launch them all at the same time.

Fortunately, no world leaders are stupid. Oh.

All it takes is one idiot (either someone who's dying and wants to inflict massive damage around the world, who also doesn't care about his own people, or some religious nut that thinks he's doing gods will) with the power, and nukes will happen.

I doubt if they have that many, and their delivery platforms have only managed as far as Japan so far havnt they..?
plus our defences, along with most other 1st world nations in the west, are designed to defend against multiple incoming missiles...not a couple.....

As for religious nuts, doing gods will?..... well, Gods 'chosen people' are surrounded by enemies and have nuclear weapons...would imagine its the geographic area where its most likely, if at all.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here