Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

North Korea, Burma and Cuba human rights violations - More US hypocracy

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
According to the BBC the US has critised North Korea, Burma and Cuba for human rights violations.

What a joke, they could try have a look at themselves sometime. Judging by what I've been told by people who've been there American Prisons are quite disgusting and the warders do llittle if anything to prevent brutalty, murder and rape. Given the treatment that many have suffered at the hands of their Police it's another classic example of people in glass houses.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The Americans are far from perfect but they're not exactly the worst human rights offenders are they?

On a related note, who else but the Americans would tar Cuba with the same brush as North Korea and Burma.:rolleyes: Twats.

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
Yeah, but having spent a night in a US detention centre I can well believe the stories about the beastial treatment of prisoners in US gaols.

Bear in mind that 1% of the US population are incarcerated in these institutions. 1% may not sound a lot but it represents 2,800,000 people. That's has to one of the highest number of convicts anywhere in the world.

You could ask a number of people (usually black) about human rights but more often than not they're dead, executed because they had abysmal legal support at their trials.

What about Guantanamo Bay? What about the Patriot Act? And any country that has Negroponte (wanted for war crimes in El Salvador) as their Ambassador to the UN really cannot point their finger at anyone.

Even then the hypocrisy doesn't stop - it's not just about what the US get up to themselves, but what the US's allies get up that the Americans do not criticise them for. Saudi? Turkey? Kuwait? Uzbekistan? Turkmenistan? and so on...

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
they did actually state today that if the prisoners in guantanmo bay are found not guilty, they will stay in prison as they might do something bad again.

and that after the guilty ones have served their sentence... they won't be released.

erm... something wrong with that me thinks!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
They make nice burgers though. And the service in restaurants is generally excellent I find.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
bhaexpress said:
According to the BBC .............

That says it all.

cuba recently jailed 80 people for voicing oposition to the regime in Kangaroo courts, there little better than N.Korea.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
On the other hand though, Cuba has some of the most beautiful old fishing villages, particulalry around the eastern coast. And don't forget - the Cubans invented Bacardi.

Raphael Meade

Jul 5, 2003
Shoreham/LA
was it the cubans? there was this kid at uni from the bahamas who reckoned he lives near the bacardi family...

maybe its a holiday home?

or it might have been barbados... well.. somewhere round there that aint cuba..

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Isn't that a Cuban bat on the Bacardi label ? I might be mistaken, it has been known on occasions. Anyone got a bottle handy ?

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
Bacardi is actually an American company. I think the makers of Bacardi went there after the revolution. You can't get real Cuban Rum in America due to the trade restrictions.

The Cuban restaurant I'm off to tonight is full of anti/boycott Bacardi posters.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Just to be clear before this turn in to an all out America bash, it's the US administration who are taking away peoples rights through the Patroit act and locking people up for ever in Guantanamo. There are plenty of people in America who have seen the injustic and are rightly outraged at the actions of the Bush administration.
Whether there will be another to boot him out of office in November will remain to be seen. The Bush adminstration are master of changing the subject and distracting people from the real issues. Their latest ploy is to bang on about banning gay marriage to distract people from their record on human rights, missing WMD, the war, the economy and jobs.
As for US prisons, I expect they are a damn site better than a North Korean prison. I think comparing the US record to North Korea and Burma is a bit unfair.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Highfields Seagull said:
Bacardi is actually an American company. I think the makers of Bacardi went there after the revolution. You can't get real Cuban Rum in America due to the trade restrictions.

The Cuban restaurant I'm off to tonight is full of anti/boycott Bacardi posters.

I think the American Bacardi is made in Pueto Rico, it may be different in Europe though.

Highfields Seagull

Jul 7, 2003
Bullock Smithy
Raphael Meade said:
was it the cubans? there was this kid at uni from the bahamas who reckoned he lives near the bacardi family...

maybe its a holiday home?

or it might have been barbados... well.. somewhere round there that aint cuba..

Ah Bacrdi is based in the bahamas.

This is some anti-bacardi info. I've not read it all but assume it is largely biased towards Cuba (I don't know enough about the subject to really have an opinion about it)
Bacardi campaign

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
US Seagull said:

As for US prisons, I expect they are a damn site better than a North Korean prison. think comparing the US record to North Korea and Burma is a bit unfair.

I wouldn't say that, judging by the place I was placed in when I was detained in in December (sleep on a wet concrete floor as the faucet was broken and dripiing water everywhere) and from what people I've met have told me I would say it's a moot point.

My US lawyer was incensed at my treatment, apparently my rights were violated and I do have room to sue them. Apart from anything else they had no right to refuse my entry and would not let me speak to my lawyer. The only reason I haven't started an action as yet is down to the fact that I lnow that the scum in the USCIS will make my life even more difficult as I am now going for my immigration. I can tell you that the US Embassy in London were no help at all as they said they had no juristiction over the USCIS. I don't know why that place exists.

Frankly, if the US can treat a citizen of their supposedly greatest allies in such a fashion for the crime of having the audacity to legally marry one of their citizens then I don't have to have too much immagination to know what they're caperble of.

Last edited:

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Cuban heels must be due a comeback sometime soon. Used to be the height of cool - chisel toes or winkelpicker boots with cuban heels :cool:

Last edited:

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I used to have a tremendous pair of black suede boots. Pointy toe and a heel, wear them with jeans, I thought I was IT.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here