Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Norman F***king Baker

The Tassie Seagull

Dave Clarkson's Left Sock
Everybody's favourite MP is apparently down here at the moment, complaining about Tassie's forestry practices. I'm off to see if I can find him and give him some shit. The wanker's probably in Hobart and I'm stuck up in Launceston - but we shall see!!

Wish me luck!!

:bounce: :bounce:

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
What a tosser. What the Fk has that got to do with his Lewes constituents, or the British Parliament ?

I've never seen anyone who loves the sound of his own voice, or the look of his own publicity so much as that bastard.

:flameboun

Early Doors

Coach
Sep 15, 2003
Horsham
I'm genuinely struggling to understand how this bloke gets away with poking his nose in other people's business, all at the tax payers' expense. How the f*** is he still in his job? :angry:

Rougvie

Rising Damp
Aug 29, 2003
Hove, f***ing ACTUALLY.
I think an investigation should be made as to why the WANKER is always jetting off here there and everywhere, he was in Shetland a few weeks back, now Austrailia, where the f*** next ?

WANKER, KUNT, BASTARD.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
Rougvie said:
I think an investigation should be made as to why the WANKER is always jetting off here there and everywhere, he was in Shetland a few weeks back, now Austrailia, where the f*** next ?

WANKER, KUNT, BASTARD.
Well, at least he is avoiding shooting his mouth off about Falmer while he is not here. On this subject, he is (as Archer famously described Bellotti) a defunct mouthpiece.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Is it true that LDC told Norman Baker to look for alternative sites to Falmer ? - so he has flown over to Tassie to look around Brighton to suss it out. He wont find many seagulls there as the penguins have taken over!

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
Transcript of radio interview on Aussie Network:

"TIM JEANES: But some people would say what right does someone have to come out from England and criticise us down here.

NORMAL BAKER: Well, I'll criticise England as well. I'll criticise environmental damage where I find it, and my government's probably very happy I'm out here for a week rather than haranguing them.

I think these days we're in a global environment. You're really luck you've got it here, but it belongs to us all, all across the world, in the same way as, you know, other special environments belong to the world.

So you've got to recognise that as well, and think about the value that comes from keeping it, rather than the value you get from destroying it. You only get the value once from destroying it, the value from keeping it you get forever.

TIM JEANES: But pro-forestry groups say Mr Baker should think twice before criticising others.

Barry Chipman is the Tasmanian State Manager of Timber Communities Australia.

BARRY CHIPMAN: It's extremely rich, it's heights of hypocrisy that someone's come in from England. You know, Tasmania is streets ahead of England in the way it's looked after its forests.

TIM JEANES: Mr Chipman says Tasmania has 1.4 million hectares as forest reserves - a figure England should be envious of.

BARRY CHIPMAN: Our reserves are more than the entire forest estate that England has in its entirety."

Baker really thinks he is so important that he has a remit to go round the world telling others how to run their lives.

Fropm hios own web site - you know , I think i agree with him over this.

Wilderness or woodchips? Lib Dem MP travels to Tassie to save the trees

Lib Dem MP Norman Baker is travelling to Tasmania in his capacity as Shadow Environment Secretary to continue his campaign to save the world’s tallest hardwood trees and one of the greatest temperate rainforests from being destroyed at the hands of the Tasmanian logging industry.

Over 550,000 British people visit Australia every year and over 200,000 jobs in Tasmania, Australia’s most forested state, are created by tourism. This compares to 8,400 jobs provided by the logging industry, dominated by the company Gunns, which is responsible for the loss of over 80% of Tasmania’s original tall-eucalypt old growth forests. Over 80% of wood felled is woodchipped and exported for use by the paper industry.

Mr Baker, who began his campaign in 2004 and has already introduced two Early Day Motions on the issue in the House of Commons, is travelling out at the invitation of the leading and well-respected environmental organisation, The Wilderness Society. During his visit Mr Baker will be witnessing first-hand the destruction to the natural habitat caused by the slash and burn techniques and monoculture plantations of the logging industry. He will also be holding talks with Tasmanian politicians to press for action to halt the environmental destruction.

Mr Baker will be making his visit carbon neutral by planting trees in Tasmania during his stay to offset the carbon emissions of his journey.

Commenting on his visit Norman Baker MP said:

"The situation in Tasmania is absolutely horrific for anyone with an environmental conscience. Swathes of beautiful, old-growth hardwood forest and temperate rainforest are being clear felled and fire bombed from the air only to be replaced by monoculture plantations with all the biodiversity of a car park. To make matters worse, logging companies then lay down a ghastly poison called 1080 which causes a slow and painful death for any remaining wildlife such as wallabies, wombats and possums.

"The deforestation in Tasmania is destroying one of the world’s most pristine eco-systems and endangering rare species such as the wedge-tailed eagle and the Eastern Pygmy Possum. This kind of disastrous environmental practice is absolutely unacceptable in any country, let alone one as responsible and civilized as Australia. Unfortunately, the logging industry in Tasmania is so powerful that the state appears unable or unwilling to take any action, while the federal government in Canberra prefers to turn a blind eye. This is why I am flying out, on a carbon neutral visit, to help the Wilderness Society’s attempts to put an end to this madness and preserve the forests for generations to come."

The webpage of The Wilderness Society has further details of its work in Australia.

The text of Norman’s two Early Day Motions on Tasmanian forestry issues is below:

EDM 896 Tasmanian Deforestation
That this House deplores the current large-scale deforestation of native forest in the Australian state of Tasmania; notes that rare and ancient trees up to several hundred years old are being destroyed, mostly being turned into woodchips to make paper and tissue, and that recognised endangered species are being deliberately and painfully exterminated through the wilful and indiscriminate use of the highly toxic chemical 1080; believes this to be a blot on the good name of Australia and notes that in a recent opinion poll, 85 per cent of Australians wanted woodchipping of old-growth forest ended; believes that the Australian Federal Government, as a signatory to the Convention on Biological Diversity and in the light of its own Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act, has a duty to also protect its own native species; calls upon the British Government to urge the Australian Federal Government to intervene in order to bring Tasmanian forestry methods in line with Australia's international commitments and best practice within Australia; and suggests that the 30,000 British tourists who visit Tasmania annually should consider whether they wish to visit the state while it sanctions policies so destructive to the natural environment and to wildlife.

106 signatures

EDM 598 Prosecution of the Gunns 20
That this House condemns the action by the Australian woodchip company Gunns to sue 20 environmental groups, campaigners and politicians who have domestically opposed its role in the logging of old growth forests in Tasmania; believes this action is an attack on basic civil liberties and freedom of speech; condemns the actions of any company seeking to stifle legitimate public protest through aggressive and questionable legal proceedings; recognises that these iconic forests contain the tallest hardwood trees in the world and are home to many endangered species; notes that during the federal election in Australia in 2004 both the Coalition Government and Labour Opposition pledged to protect more of Tasmania's threatened old growth forests from the woodchip industry; further notes that public opinion polls show that 80 per cent of the Australian public want all of Tasmania's old growth forests to be fully protected; urges Gunns to withdraw its law suit; further urges the Japanese companies Oji Paper Co, Nippon Paper Industries, Daio Paper Co, Chuetsu Pulp and Paper Co, Sumitomo Corporation, Itochu Corporation, Mitsui Co, Fuji Xerox, Canon and Ricoh to stop buying woodchips and paper sourced from Tasmanian old growth forests; and congratulates Mitsubishi Paper Mills on its recent decision to stop buying woodchips derived from Tasmanian old growth forests.

91 signatures

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
On the one hand it all looks so reasonable but is only one side of the argument. On the other you look at some of the 'reasonable-sounding' gash he has talked about Falmer and we know what crap it is. If Baker told me the time I'd check my own watch

Last edited:

backson

Registered Mis-user
Jul 26, 2004
The Large One said:
Well, at least he is avoiding shooting his mouth off about Falmer while he is not here. On this subject, he is (as Archer famously described Bellotti) a defunct mouthpiece.

I think you'll find he is a defunct ringpiece.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Nice to know he was invited over by the Wilderness Society. Do they have any links with the LibDems?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
killl him

colinpants

IT CONSULTANT
Jan 24, 2005
no doubt we're picking up the tab for his little jolly. Must be nice this time of year to get out and catch a few ray's, wonder if he took the dear lady wife?

And wasn't he screaming on the other day about all these jet planes making needless journeys round the world?

Balding, dosen't even come from sussex, born in Aberdeen bum loving lib dem tosser.

*and relax*

Last edited:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
You would think that an opposition Environment spokesman would have been more eco friendly and travelled over to Australia by luxury cruise liner ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here