Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Norman Baker Excels Himself

Gordon Bennett

Sep 7, 2010
I realise that trying to get a reaction on NSC about Norman Baker is like shooting apples in a barrel but he seems to have excelled himself today, comparing his role in the government with that of the anti-apartheid campaigner (and let’s not forget Nobel peace prize nominee) Helen Suzman in apartheid South Africa. Does the man have no humility?

I’ve never had any time for him, long before his involvement with Falmer and it has always irked me that the media fall over themselves when talking about how great he is but it was refreshing to hear the Guardian’s Chief Political Correspondent on 5live this morning refer to the Baker/Suzman comparison as “a tad absurd” before reminding listeners that Baker “does have quite a high opinion of himself”. It seems like his media mask is finally slipping.

Trigger

Jul 4, 2003
Brighton
I often see him swaggering round Lewes like he's crapped himself and I always think to myself... 'COCK!'

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He is a prize pillock.
I never quite conformed to this until now, but this Suzman comparison he's making is absurd.

Still, I'd much rather not have found out what a tit he is, if the only way we find out about this tittle tattle is the Telegraphs agenda- driven smearing by stealth.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Tomorrow - Baker compares the battle to stop Falmer being built to the struggle against apartheid.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I never quite conformed to this until now, but this Suzman comparison he's making is absurd.

Still, I'd much rather not have found out what a tit he is, if the only way we find out about this tittle tattle is the Telegraphs agenda- driven smearing by stealth.

They have their own agenda. They must hate seeing their party share with the pinko's in the Liberal Democrats. However - exposing the odd-balls in the Liberal Democrats really must be like shooting fish (or apples) in a barrel.

Scampi

One of the Three
Jun 10, 2009
Denton
Baker is a strange character indeed. During the election campaign he appeared outside my sons primary school handing out leaflets. I have never seen a politician so ill at ease with the general public, he looked like a little boy lost, and in fact his discomfort in the presence of strangers was reminiscent of my eldest son. My eldest son has aspergers.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
They have their own agenda. They must hate seeing their party share with the pinko's in the Liberal Democrats. However - exposing the odd-balls in the Liberal Democrats really must be like shooting fish (or apples) in a barrel.
Indeed. The Telegraph really is a nasty paper, probably worse than the much maligned middle England papers.

Tony Blair said he was going to reform the Lords by clearing it of hereditory peers. (predictably, he did nothing of the sort, as IMO, Blair's time in office will forever be characterised by failing in some of his more honourable intentions - but I digress). Anyway, The Telegraph's editorial when talk of this reform was at its height was that Labour were wrong to do this "because it ain't broken so why fix it".

So there you have it. The upper house is completely undemocratic and this is fine because somehow, that isn't broken. As I say, a nasty paper.

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
Baker is a fifth rate gesture politician and has shown this in recent weeks nationally. He likes to see himself as some sort of radical and a republican. Yet the Falmer campaign showed how anxious he was to side with the oik-hating toffs of Lewes and environs.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
My main gripe with Baker and a lot of the other Lib Dems is how they're all insistent they oppose Government policy like tuition fees so much. If that's the case, then why didn't they all resign from the Government and vote against the proposals? One suspects it is because their ministerial titles and salaries are more important to them than the principles and promises on which they were elected.

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
My main gripe with Baker and a lot of the other Lib Dems is how they're all insistent they oppose Government policy like tuition fees so much. If that's the case, then why didn't they all resign from the Government and vote against the proposals? One suspects it is because their ministerial titles and salaries are more important to them than the principles and promises on which they were elected.

On that basis, Government ministers in coalitions across the world would resign every day and no political party would every be able to govern in partnership with any other. The present Tory ministers would have to resign too because they promised the electorate they would cut inheritance tax, a policy which the agreement with the Lib Dems has prevented.

cheshunt seagull

Jul 5, 2003
He really is a loathsome reptile, but does this mean that I can toy with the image of him being whipped with a sjambok and having electrodes attached to his testicles?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
You can but I would rather not.

Ego got the better of a jumped up little arse.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

This. Baker's u-turn and subsequent justification tell me he is more interested in his career than anything else.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
On that basis, Government ministers in coalitions across the world would resign every day and no political party would every be able to govern in partnership with any other. The present Tory ministers would have to resign too because they promised the electorate they would cut inheritance tax, a policy which the agreement with the Lib Dems has prevented.

I can see where you're coming from but, once in the coalition, Baker heavily alluded to voting against the government on tuition fees. He did this up to the last minute. But, the whips had a word and he changed his opinion. In my opinion because his position in the coalition government was more important to him than anything else.

Norman Baker threatens to resign over tuition fee rise - Telegraph

Last edited:

Stumpy Tim

Tony Blair said he was going to reform the Lords by clearing it of hereditory peers. (predictably, he did nothing of the sort, as IMO, Blair's time in office will forever be characterised by failing in some of his more honourable intentions - but I digress).

You should read Blair's memoirs. You may change your mind on that opinion

Deano's Invisible Pants

Mar 1, 2008
I can see where you're coming from but, once in the coalition, Baker heavily alluded to voting against the government on tuition fees. He did this up to the last minute. But, the whips had a word and he changed his opinion. In my opinion because his position in the coalition government was more important to him than anything else.

Norman Baker threatens to resign over tuition fee rise - Telegraph

I can't quite believe I find myself defending Baker or the Lib Dems, but this article means nothing. He makes it quite clear that he hasn't decided whether to resign. If he was engaging in political brinkmanship, big deal, this is what politicians in coalition government do all the time to shift the deal further in their favour.

Look, the probability is that the Lib Dems are going to be junior coalition partners for another 4 and a half years. If he resigns over this, then that's his last chance to seriously influence policy. He has to pick his battles, then decide just how far he will go to get Conservative policy changed.

A much fairer criticism would be why he had such an unrealistic policy in the first place......

essbee

Jan 5, 2005
The bloke gives a shit about nobody but himself; he seeks publicity, but always tries to canvas support from safe, easy vote-winning targets. I despise the scumbag not only for what he did to the Albion but his slimeball approach to politics.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here