Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Non-milk milk

abc

Jan 6, 2007
My lame excuse is exploring alternatives to minimise the environmental impact. You might be astonished to find that we survived as a species without cows milk for a lot longer than we have done with it.

You don’t need an excuse but not drinking real milk won’t save the planet, quite the reverse. Organic farming depends on livestock (of all sorts) to work. The alternative is intensive farming with more environmentally damaging pesticides and millions of tons of artificial fertiliser made from fossil fuels. Grassland (which would be ploughed up without livestock farming) is a vital carbon sink across the world. Don’t believe everything that the vegan soc and the bbc tell you!

abc

Jan 6, 2007
I had a quick look and found one report that says most soybeans are used for animal feed. So in a roundabout way drinking cows’ milk may use more soybeans than drinking soy milk. I’d need to research this more to see if this really is the case.

The soya used in animal feed is the by product (ie what is left) after the
manufacturing processes applied to soya to make human food. But also soya is mainly used in v intensive farming systens. Cows at grass for example don’t need additional protein (of which soya is a source).

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
You don’t need an excuse but not drinking real milk won’t save the planet, quite the reverse. Organic farming depends on livestock (of all sorts) to work. The alternative is intensive farming with more environmentally damaging pesticides and millions of tons of artificial fertiliser made from fossil fuels. Grassland (which would be ploughed up without livestock farming) is a vital carbon sink across the world. Don’t believe everything that the vegan soc and the bbc tell you!

1. the planet doesn't need saving
2. what's organic farming got to do with it?
3. who has mentioned organic farming in order for you to raise the issue?
4. you might just find that organic farming will not feed the population, especially if it's oriented towards more meat consumption
5. there are better carbon sinks than grassland
6. I'm not particularly interested in what the Vegan Society thinks
7. I'd much rather believe some of the things that the BBC tell me, although I prefer C4 News for what it's worth
8. from what you've just typed, the BBC trumps abc, as you appear to be a proselytiser for organic farming

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here