Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Non League Football

Bit of turmoil at Peacehaven at present, think they are skint with the associated unrest with some players.

No worse turmoil than any other time in the last 93 years! Colbran takes up his post next week and also some other new faces on the bench so we'll wait and see.

A reminder, we were in the county league for many years inc div 3 as recent as about 12 years ago, so we're probably still puncing above our weight with our 3rd season in the Isthmian.

As for Skint, what's new? We've NEVER had money dispite what a number of bitter sides claimed, usually after a 3-0 defeat (Leatherhead and Hastings being the biggest cry babies) yeah, we offered to overpay the likes of El Abd, Gatting and Fraiser etc, but why do you think they soon buggered off!?

Brian Sue and Clive are keeping an eye on the cash now so hopefully they'll be no more "silliness"

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
No worse turmoil than any other time in the last 93 years! Colbran takes up his post next week and also some other new faces on the bench so we'll wait and see.

A reminder, we were in the county league for many years inc div 3 as recent as about 12 years ago, so we're probably still puncing above our weight with our 3rd season in the Isthmian.

As for Skint, what's new? We've NEVER had money dispite what a number of bitter sides claimed, usually after a 3-0 defeat (Leatherhead and Hastings being the biggest cry babies) yeah, we offered to overpay the likes of El Abd, Gatting and Fraiser etc, but why do you think they soon buggered off!?

Brian Sue and Clive are keeping an eye on the cash now so hopefully they'll be no more "silliness"

Well thats what I said ..............

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

That's rather a contradiction there. You say there was no money at Peacehaven, yet then say that you offered to overpay the likes of Fraser etc.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
The clues were in the term "offered" and the phrase "soon buggered off"

It is true that the Vase years, early 90's ?? that it just happened to be a group of talented lads some local a few left over from the Pook years stayed on and became a real force and there was never a big paid player even with the talent they had, that was left to Newhaven at the time.

But recently they fell for the ambitious trump card and tried to get players in to push them forward, players that demanded payment, payments beyond what they could ever afford, thats why they are skint today, more skint than before.

Those players are still demanding monies owed, they would of received some of their payments and it leaves debt, debt that will force the committee to re-calibrate the level a small town club can ever aspire to, all clubs do it, but although you can see the inevitability of it all, yet they go and do it anyway !!

One question posed by the OP still remains unanswered, i.e. how do they afford it? When I followed the County League in the 1970s I think paid players were the exception (even Brian Powney as player-manager at Southwick only commanded a reported £30-a-week).
In those days, only Southwick had floodlights (actually more like training lights) and when I left in 1979, Littlehampton were considering them. Now, it seems they all have lights!

Last edited:

Boys 9d

Jan 3, 2012
Lancing
In those days, only Southwick had floodlights (actually more like training lights) and when I left in 1979, Littlehampton were considering them. Now, it seems they all have lights!

Under FA Rules, at that level of the Pyramid, they are required to have lights.

amexer

Aug 8, 2011
Where does money come from. Is it local business people coughing up or does FA money filter down. I cant even get my head round how Div 2 sides survive with full time staff on 2000 gates let alone non league sides with gates of 200/300 paying players £200/300

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
For the record I spoke to a good local player from yesteryear, he must be 80+ years old now, he played for Newhaven and Peacehaven.

So I am guessing 1950's, firstly I never new that special trains were put on when Lewes played Newhaven and a few thousand spectators, so that pretty impressive.

He was, as are most old players aghast at the money being paid to today's local players, but with a little bit of prompting he admitted that he would have a few quid left in his boots at the end of the games, relating to a days wage, so its always been about.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Where does money come from. Is it local business people coughing up or does FA money filter down. I cant even get my head round how Div 2 sides survive with full time staff on 2000 gates let alone non league sides with gates of 200/300 paying players £200/300

Debt mainly, thats the problem.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here