Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Non-league Football Day - Match Reports

burgess hill 3 east grinstead 1

all the goals came in the first half with rob o'toole putting hill one up before pat harding lashed in a second from close range. Grinstead pulled one back before harding was quickest to react when the ball bounced off grinstead keeper christie and notched again from close range. The second half was more even with josh james in the hill goal making a couple of important saves at crucial times while at the other end, christie denied harding a deserved hat trick with a smart stop at his near post.

9 unbeaten now for hill who have gone 2 points clear at the top of ryman div 1 south. Eye catching performances from skipper darren budd, harding and greg luer (in the first half). Loads of the hill team have graduated through ashley carr's youth set up and, apart from a dodgy 10 minute spell in the first half, they ran out worthy winners.

Crowd of 717 (previous best this season was 248) included the rev who, yet again, ponced a cafe creme!

You offered it!:rolleyes:

horshamite

Now Saltdeanite.
Nov 16, 2010
I went to Broadfield to watch Crawley but they aren't non-league. Yet! On that performance they soon will be.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Burgess Hill 3 East Grinstead 1

All the goals came in the first half with Rob O'Toole putting Hill one up before Pat Harding lashed in a second from close range. Grinstead pulled one back before Harding was quickest to react when the ball bounced off Grinstead keeper Christie and notched again from close range. The second half was more even with Josh James in the Hill goal making a couple of important saves at crucial times while at the other end, Christie denied Harding a deserved hat trick with a smart stop at his near post.

9 unbeaten now for Hill who have gone 2 points clear at the top of Ryman Div 1 South. Eye catching performances from skipper Darren Budd, Harding and Greg Luer (in the first half). Loads of the Hill team have graduated through Ashley Carr's youth set up and, apart from a dodgy 10 minute spell in the first half, they ran out worthy winners.

Crowd of 717 (previous best this season was 248) included The Rev who, yet again, ponced a cafe creme!

Good write up, I enjoyed the game. Also happy my lad is in the dev squad...........

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
Dulwich Hamlet 2 - Hampton & Richmond 2
Att: 2,856 (Champion Hill record attendance)

A lackluster first half saw neither goalkeeper called into action and aside from the Hampton cross bar taking a glancing blow with a towering header from a corner neither side threatened.

The second half started in much the same fashion as it would appear that the two teams were over awed by the half time appearance of the Southwark mayor to mark the occasion.

Dulwich took the lead somewhat against the run of play as the captain Ashley Carew pounced on a loose ball in the Hampton box to bobble the ball home.

A refereeing travesty brought Hampton deservedly back into the game as the number 9 flounced to the floor after a powderpuff challenge from the unfortunate Dulwich number 4, who was booked for the second time. The penalty was dispatched with aplomb down the centre of the goal.

The reduction to ten men, as is so often the case, seemed to glavanise the home side who in front of the baying record crowd went searching for the winner. A jinking run down the right was cut inside to Carew lurking with intent on the edge of the box and he curled the ball home into the top corner to send the masses delirious and looked to have maintained the home sides 100% home record.

It was only some sloppy defending in the six yard box that allowed the 17yr old Hampton substitute to level things up in the dying seconds. The crowd left frustrated but otherwise entertained.

DHFC Non League Day 004.JPG

DHFC Non League Day 005.JPG

DHFC Non League Day 006.JPG

DHFC Non League Day 007.JPG

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Sutton United 1 - 1 Concord Rangers
View attachment 58292

Quiet first half with few chances bar a Rangers attempt cleared off the line by Sutton Captain Charlie Clough.

10 minutes into the second half Rangers took the lead with a fine strike by Jordan Cheidozi, and 5 minutes later United's No 8 (Ricky Wellard I think) was dismissed for a bad foul. Despite losing him Sutton looked more likely to score due to the introduction at half time of Rwandan international Jessy Reindorf who proved handful for the Rangers defence and who scored on 65 minutes, rolling the ball past Rangers Keeper Jamie Butler. The remainder of the game was lively with Alan Julian in the Sutton goal making two fine fingertip saves to deny the Canvey Islanders.

Honours even at full time, probably a fair result. Reindorf was MOTM, Attendance 628, a fiver to get in on non-league saturday for league STH's. Nice little ground, nice to be so close to the play and have freedom of movement.

CORRECTION, dismissed player was Glen Southam.

I have heard of Concord Rangers, but had absolutely no idea where they were from, until reading your report. And wikipedia informs me that they are named after a beach! Thanks for educating me today.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
Thank you to everyone for posting on this thread, great to have an opportunity to read first-hand accounts of teams and players that usually go under the radar, where the game is played primarily for the sake of the game itself.

Would love to see similar threads in future during international breaks.

Herne Hill Seagull

Jul 10, 2003
Galicia
Barnet 2 Alfreton 1 for me. Alfreton looked much better than a side that came into the game with no points, and were the better team in a scrappy first half. They scored right at the start of the second half but the game turned on a penalty and a red card (both the right call, in my eyes) through which Barnet levelled. Looked like honours even until right at the death - three minutes into five of injury time, Barnet's Spaniard Luisma stuck a superb free kick home to keep Barnet top of the table. 1815 at The Hive - my first visit there.

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick

Pinkie Brown

I'll look after the skirt
Sep 5, 2007
Neues Zeitalter DDR
Hastings 1 Worthing 1

A lively encounter that saw Worthing play some intelligent passing football in the first half. For all their dominance, they only had a 1-0 lead to show at half time through a dubious penalty that appeared to be a foul outside the area.

Worthing continued to play some nice football in the second half, but Hastings with their more physical presence came back into the game more and forced an equaliser in the second half. Worthing continued to threaten and with some more clinical finishing may have stolen all three points. Hastings looked dangerous on the counter but the Worthing defence held solid.

A couple of Albion connections: Former Youth Team keeper Josh Pelling was in goal for Hastings whilst Worthing are managed by former defender Adam Hinshelwood.

Attendance: I think it sounded like 462 when it was announced.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Barnet 2 Alfreton 1 for me. Alfreton looked much better than a side that came into the game with no points, and were the better team in a scrappy first half. They scored right at the start of the second half but the game turned on a penalty and a red card (both the right call, in my eyes) through which Barnet levelled. Looked like honours even until right at the death - three minutes into five of injury time, Barnet's Spaniard Luisma stuck a superb free kick home to keep Barnet top of the table. 1815 at The Hive - my first visit there.

Was going to attend that - haven't been to The Hive yet - but am likely to be invited along at a later date by a Bees supporting mate so instead opted to up my grounds visited tally elsewhere with:

Cheshunt 2-0 Thurrock - Ryman Division One North.

The Ambers have been struggling in the opening games of the season and lost to their serial visitors in the cup last weekend. However revenge came after an evenly fought first half concluded with an opener on 45 mins when a break down the right left Thurrock ("The Fleet") exposed and a couple of passes later someone or other placed it neatly in the bottom corner: HT 1-0.

The second period saw a better organised Cheshunt look far the better side with fast and threatening attacks throughout, while Thurrock had one chance when their Number 6 broke in on the left channel but had his snap shot well blocked by the goalie. The same winger had gone agonisingly close with some great play and a shot from range midway through the first period but had also missed the sitter of all sitters.

The Ambers had numerous chances to extent the lead after the break with several wide attacks, a spectacular overhead kick, an impressive volleyed shot from a long cross to the right and a poorly placed penalty. The points were finally sealed on about 70 mins with a well worked move down the right, a clever short pass inside and a tidy finish.

All in all a surprisingly good quality game that also featured the most vocal (mouthy) goalie I've ever encountered (Thurrock stopper). The burger wasn't bad and the setting similar to Whitehawk but with fewer seats.

Peter Mullen's Laaaardon lookalike stopped for an alcohol soaked chat in the first half too!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here