• I'd like to know more but don't know where to research

Votes: 1 0.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
I have been asked to take part in some research this coming Friday about football fans' views on digital assets in sport (e.g. digital collectibles, fan tokens) and fan engagement more broadly.

I believe that the people behind Crawley Town are funding it through this sort of investment and that there are NFTs being marketed by some clubs and some individual players as investment opportunities.

I remember hearing Kieran Maguire explaining NFTs on his fabulous Price of Football Podcast - but I can't find the episode.

What does NSC know about NFTs?

What are your expectations of digital collectibles and fan tokens?

Official Old Man

Uckfield Seagull
Aug 27, 2011
Brighton
Watching a TV show last night where, for the sake of the plot, these were explained as such-
Person A is a money launderer and puts up for sale an NFT of something with zero interest on behalf of Person B who has a lot of cash.
Person B buys the NFT for £millions but using untraceable crypto currency which Person A transfers into declared currency for Person B.

Last edited:

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
avoid as an investment. might be fun as a hobby, part of following your club. they will be pushed by clubs as a source of revenue and some will like to collect things, but there's no real call for people to vote for trivial club activities as some propose.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
NFTs as a term is not really accurate, as an NFT is really just a kind of online ledger. The negative connotations come from the investments in ‘images’ and football related tat which should be avoided.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
If it looks like a con and smells like a con...

Happy Exile

NSC Patron
Apr 19, 2018
I know a bit about them, personally have no interest but can see how they will very possibly take off through sports and football. As a simple example, tickets for games held in an NFT wallet (all technology that already exists) become unique collectables with resale value in the same way paper tickets of the past were.

One area of value for a club comes in offering different NFTs for different games - a pre-season friendly that only attracts 8,000 fans normally might now attract 20,000 if every ticket comes with a Mitoma collectable NFT with potential high resale value, or just from people that want to collect a set by going to every game in a season. Now tie that in with something like FIFA - go to a game and get a Mitoma NFT that boosts his speed in a game by X points and again the use cases grow...NFTs support the original creators also getting revenue from the secondary market. I don't play FIFA, I sell my Mitoma-boost NFT for £10 on the NFT marketplace and the club could get a % of that too.

There's a lot of stuff about films too - download a film on Prime or Sky and you don't own it once your subscription ends. An NFT would mean you could continue owning it because it'd be a unique copy assigned to you, and you could re-sell it too, recreating the secondary market of physical DVDs. The film industry will love this because an NFT would also support them getting some of the revenue from that ongoing sale.

I'm not far off 50 and see no appeal at all to it for me. I don't doubt for a second the market is there though. There's around a billion USD a month in sales already and most of us don't even have any exposure to them yet. Characters in Fortnite that anyone can create and sell without losing control of it and finding it copied everywhere, skins for games, music - there's a lot that's going to be changed by NFTs over the next few years.

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
I have been asked to take part in some research this coming Friday about football fans' views on digital assets in sport (e.g. digital collectibles, fan tokens) and fan engagement more broadly.

I believe that the people behind Crawley Town are funding it through this sort of investment and that there are NFTs being marketed by some clubs and some individual players as investment opportunities.

I remember hearing Kieran Maguire explaining NFTs on his fabulous Price of Football Podcast - but I can't find the episode.

What does NSC know about NFTs?

What are your expectations of digital collectibles and fan tokens?
Apparently (allegedly) the regime at Crawley are footballs answer to the ‘Emperors New Clothes’ , it will go tits up at some point, with The Reds dropping so quickly it won’t be that long before they are getting excited about the Boxing Day clash with Horsham YMCA.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I know a bit about them, personally have no interest but can see how they will very possibly take off through sports and football. As a simple example, tickets for games held in an NFT wallet (all technology that already exists) become unique collectables with resale value in the same way paper tickets of the past were.

One area of value for a club comes in offering different NFTs for different games - a pre-season friendly that only attracts 8,000 fans normally might now attract 20,000 if every ticket comes with a Mitoma collectable NFT with potential high resale value, or just from people that want to collect a set by going to every game in a season. Now tie that in with something like FIFA - go to a game and get a Mitoma NFT that boosts his speed in a game by X points and again the use cases grow...NFTs support the original creators also getting revenue from the secondary market. I don't play FIFA, I sell my Mitoma-boost NFT for £10 on the NFT marketplace and the club could get a % of that too.

There's a lot of stuff about films too - download a film on Prime or Sky and you don't own it once your subscription ends. An NFT would mean you could continue owning it because it'd be a unique copy assigned to you, and you could re-sell it too, recreating the secondary market of physical DVDs. The film industry will love this because an NFT would also support them getting some of the revenue from that ongoing sale.

I'm not far off 50 and see no appeal at all to it for me. I don't doubt for a second the market is there though. There's around a billion USD a month in sales already and most of us don't even have any exposure to them yet. Characters in Fortnite that anyone can create and sell without losing control of it and finding it copied everywhere, skins for games, music - there's a lot that's going to be changed by NFTs over the next few years.
great examples of NFT potential. most will end up worth pennies and in many cases the existing technology will not need changing to a blockchain. football tickets for instance (which are logically an NFT without a blockchain), see no need to change from current systems, though might if the software provider goes that route.

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
If any one is wondering what NFTs are and how they could work here is a video of Trump explaining his excellent range of Trump NFTs to his fans.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
IMG_2442.jpeg

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
Fan tokens are already being used by some of the biggest sporting clubs in the world.

Using this list nine out of the top ten most valuable sporting clubs in the world have a partnership with Socios who deals in sports tokens.

The top two teams in the PL at present also have a partnership with Socios.

So Crawley are hardly worth mentioning when you can look at some of the biggest football clubs in the world being involved in it.

Tyrone Biggums

Jun 25, 2006
Geelong, Australia
An NFT allows sports people or artists to profit from their own works or images.

In time it will be no different to when a musical artist sells their catalogue which allows someone else to then claim ownership of that music and do be able to go after anyone legally for using that music without their consent. All royalties will go to the owner of the catalogue.

Same will happen with NFTs.

If someone buys an NFT and others then try to distribute it for profit they will get sued or shut down via copyright protections in the law.

Easy enough to prove who owns the real thing.

chickens

Intending to survive this time of asset strippers
Oct 12, 2022
Anyone looking into NFTs as a lasting investment need to be aware that they’re walking into a completely unregulated Wild West.

Get familiar with the term “rug pull” and read a couple of cautionary tales like these (all from within the last few weeks)

Just because your favourite scheleb is involved, doesn’t mean it isn’t a good old-fashioned fraud.

and because when they launched there was lots of talk about how NFTs would support the artist:

HeaviestTed

I’m eating
NSC Patron
Mar 23, 2023
The original idea behind NFT’s was to make sure content creators were paid for their work - a worthy thing.

NFT’s have been taken over by people who use them for money laundering, there is no financial reason to buy something for any sum of money that doesn’t actually exist.

NFT’s should absolutely be avoided by football clubs, it is bad enough the amount of gambling adverts. The government should step in here and say no.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here