Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Non-drinkers - what do you do ?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
Depends on your reasoning, but does it have to be the all or nothing approach?

I think it does. I've tried cutting down and it always creeps back up. Problem I have is that I cannot have just one; I find it easier to have nothing than to stop after a single drink so I've decided to try and stop altogether.

D

Deleted member 18477

For the last 30 years my social life has revolved around pubs and drinking but I've come to the conclusion that, for various reasons, I need/want to give up drinking for a while.
So, for those in a similar position, what do you do that doesn't involve going to the pub ?

join the gym. best thing ever to have a health kick. im a sad act and record my diet etc too on the app myfitnesspal. i go to the gym 4 or 5 times a week drink protein shakes etc and am always thinking about my next meal (much like a smoker does with their next fag). i do love a drink though but find i have a drink less often because im more health conscious.

On the whole though, do whatever you ENJOY. go to the cinema more and watch all the latest films, get interested in food and go to nice restaurants. find another sport to follow to fill some weekend time (I like NFL for wasting a bit of time and quite enjoy the sport now, cricket/golf are also time fillers), go to away games if you dont already, i dont drink as i prefer to drive to away games but i still enjoy the day out etc.

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
Over the years I have noticed 2 things that encourage drinking to excess.

1. Being part of a 'round' means you have to drink to the speed of the fastest drinker.
2. Being part of the culture where it's believed to be macho to boast about how much you drunk, how bad your hangover is, how sick you were, and how little you remember about your wonderful evening.

If you overcome both of these it will be easy.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
My problem with not drinking alcohol at pubs is that soft drinks are almost as expensive!

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
If you don`t like drinking, you can always take copious amounts of cocaine.

Aug 31, 2009
Brighton
I should imagine they don't feel like I do this morning.

Banging headache,
Sweats.
Stomach doing somersaults.
Eyes feel like full of gravel.
Kidneys actually throbbing.
Mouth feels like I've eaten gog shit.

Add to this I've got to help a mate move in half hour then entertain 3 grandchildren this afternoon.

It is better I think to be a non-drinker.

Do not envy this schedule in that state. Best of British to you sir!

cloud

Jun 12, 2011
Here, there and everywhere
Not having kids maybe unfair but what you gonna do when your kids naff off . Seems bit top heavy about them . No offence meant just I work surrounded by people who have no life other than their kids ....
Yes but you only have a limited time in which to do all those 'kids' things with them (until as you say they become teenagers and aren't interested).

It is time consuming, but once they're older you get to catch up on all the things you had to put off for years while they were young.

I have gradually weaned myself off pubs since you can't smoke there any more .. so now I don't do either, and have had to change my circle of friends slightly.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
I think it does. I've tried cutting down and it always creeps back up. Problem I have is that I cannot have just one; I find it easier to have nothing than to stop after a single drink so I've decided to try and stop altogether.

Have you tried AA?

Captain Sensible

Jul 8, 2003
Not the real one
I stopped going down the pub for a bit to give up drinking so much and to save a few quid. Then I just started drinking at home, its cheaper and I drink less. Dont need to totally shut it off mate, just cut down......on spirits........er during the week.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I don't drink, but I still head to the pub a lot!

Durlston

"Two grams please!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
I'm finding hangovers are getting worse the older I get so just drink once a week, either for football or a Saturday night, but can go into pubs and have a pint of lemonade/coca cola, watch Sky sports and not be tempted to drink alcohol.

Tight shorts

Dec 29, 2004
Sussex
How about volunteering at a local youth club? You get to do all the fun stuff and convert the plastic Man U fans

Was not Was

Loitering with intent
Jul 31, 2003
it is strange, with regards to myself, i will go weeks / months without drinking any alcohol, and then i will go out on a bit of a lash up, and still drink 15 pints. (no bullshit, i am a big guy and can stick them away). Last october i stopped drinking, and went through until 14th january before i had a beer (works xmas party, all day session 10:00 till 23:00 - free bar, stuck 21 pints away (with food as well). Then no alcohol until march, Lads went to prague for a week (averaging 20 pints a day, over 20 hours).

quite happy to do this, but boy is it a shock to ones system.

You are William Hague and I claim my £50 prize.

deletebeepbeepbeep

May 12, 2009
Gave up drinking for a year at uni because I was not a happy drunk, still went clubbing/pubbing with mates.

The worst thing is people always ask, and you feel like you need to explain yourself. Always get girls asking me about it and if my skin was better etc :lol: .

I don't drink that much now, but just been on a bender in Leeds, drank 15 pints on Friday night, and 18 bottles on Saturday (Ottley Run) guts still feel messed now. Grim.

00snook

Aug 20, 2007
Southsea
I gave up drinking for 3 months last year, and for 3 months at the start of this year.

Felt absolutely fantastic at the end of both of those stints. Lost weight, absolutely TONNES more energy. Generally much more alive then usual.

Then I had a few and back down the slippery slope to drinking too much regularly.

The main problem is I just didn't enjoy spending time in pubs and out with mates when they were all wankered. They all talked arse, repeated themselves contantly and generally smelt bad. When I was drunk too it didn't notice, but when I wasn't it noticed big time.

It is a very tricky choice mate, but getting involved in exercise, doing some volunteer stuff etc will fulfil your life and allow you to do things that you coulnd't when you were drinking all the time.

I am just about to pack it in again for a few months (maybe longer this time) to lose some weight and get fit. Is definitely worth it, you will feel 1000 times better about yourself, and just need to find some other things you enjoy to supplement for the drink.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
The main problem is I just didn't enjoy spending time in pubs and out with mates when they were all wankered. They all talked arse, repeated themselves contantly and generally smelt bad. When I was drunk too it didn't notice, but when I wasn't it noticed big time.

This is what makes it particularly difficult for me to stop drinking.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here