Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Noisy neighbour, sound proofing advice

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If it’s vibrating the bed you might want to think about having the bed legs/posts sitting on a shock absorber of some kind - block of rubber/polystyrene fir example.

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
For property you don't own, I don't think it'll be worth filling the void with insulation. Sealing all of the holes is probably your best bet. I've done some serious sound-proofing on a job, and AC50 acoustic sealant is good value for that job (I have some if you're local). But you have to seal all holes, otherwise it's like sealing most holes in a leaking bucket.

Is your room quite bare (so noise, once in your room, bounces around) or do you have a fair amount of furniture absorbing sounds?
Yeah I was thinking that ac50 or this foam and stuffing some lagging under the floor only around the edges. The bed takes up 75% of the room, furniture 15% walking space 10%

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230131_194402_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230131_194402_Chrome.jpg
    243.1 KB · Views: 19

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
I had work done by this firm 5 years ago https://www.brightonsoundproofing.co.uk/ as the noise from the flat above (stripped floorboards) was a nightmare.

It cost about £6500 in total for their floor hanger system, but was split 50:50 with the owner of the flat above (who rented it out). It was money very well spent as it worked a treat.
I appreciate that's a bigger job than the last-minute, chuck extra stuff between the floorboards that you're looking at though.

I remember there are acoustic matting products out there that might be worth considering - an extra layer under the underlay which you might be able to get hold of by Friday? Generally speaking, anything you can add that's soft will help deaden the sound and if you can get some in time, acoustic foam or rockwool products that you can stuff in the gaps.

I hope the situation improves after Friday - you have my sympathy as it's a fecking nightmare. It could be worse though - what if someone knocks her up and there's a BABY added to the mix 😳
She'll be asleep less

BrightonCottager

Sep 30, 2013
Brighton
Mrs BC has been going on about 'nose-breathing' for months after listening to a podcast and how it's supposed to improve sleep quality and solve snoring. You're supposed to put tape over your mouth at night so you only breathe through your nose. For her birthday I gave her a roll of black and yellow hazard tape that you stick on scaffolding poles and the like, but apparently you're supposed to use micropore tape!

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Yeah I was thinking that ac50 or this foam and stuffing some lagging under the floor only around the edges. The bed takes up 75% of the room, furniture 15% walking space 10%
I don't think the lagging will do anything. I don't know the make-up of your build, but on a standard floor (not between flats) sound will go through the plaster of the ceiling below, into an open void where the joists are, and through your floor-boards. Filling the entire area with insulation (not necessarily the entire depth, but area) will help absorb some of the sound while it's in the void. But if you just do the edges, I don't think you'll be able to notice the difference. But sealing the floor, so that it's airtight, would make a difference.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here