Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No wonder Poyet turned down Reading...

Last edited:

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
There must be some fake tanned wannabe WAG that took a sports science degree just so that she could take this job and marry a footballer. I can't see anyone else ever even considering this!

How can you possibly ask for prior experience from an unpaid intern? That defeats the purpose for both parties!

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
An interesting point - particularly in relation to full-time internships, where the opportunity to work elsewhere and earn some money is denied to you. Worth someone investigating.

BBC News - Unpaid internships 'breaking minimum wage law'

Are you doing an unpaid internship? It may be illegal.

I am not too sure about this, on the face of it, it seems that football can be so wasteful with vast amounts of money whilst at some levels become quite unreasonable, as this at first seems.

But on a broader thought, might this be an opportunity for someone to gain access to a role close within the club that otherwise might not be be offered.

We wax lyrical about actors that moved stage props and made tea just to get close to the that inner sanctum and soon got acknowledgement and advancement within that profession.

Need to be careful before we unionise every action of opportunities within the private sector.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
I am not too sure about this, on the face of it, it seems that football can be so wasteful with vast amounts of money whilst at some levels become quite unreasonable, as this at first seems.

But on a broader thought, might this be an opportunity for someone to gain access to a role close within the club that otherwise might not be be offered.

We wax lyrical about actors that moved stage props and made tea just to get close to the that inner sanctum and soon got acknowledgement and advancement within that profession.

Need to be careful before we unionise every action of opportunities within the private sector.

Valid point in normal circumstances... this is the purpose of an internship. However, if you ask for previous experience then you aren't offering someone a step up, you are exploiting that person!

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house

Rubbish. People in the theatre industry are paid, even if it's 'profit share' in no-budget 1-week runs that generally end up as unpaid. They certainly are not unpaid in principle. Also, being good at moving set does not make you a good actor and is unlikely to get you any parts!

This 'offer' is entirely unpaid, personal expenses of travelling the country will not be paid. It is NOT a job!

But even they are permitted to get a bit of bar work to pay the rent.

Internships can be a valuable way to get a first step into interesting employment. The young Miss Bracknell made her first move into her career through an internship and she now has full-time paid employment at the going rate in an area which recognises her skills, qualifications and experience. But her initial internship came with money and expenses and enough free-time to allow her to work part-time outside and cover her living costs in London. And that was in the charity sector, not at a professional football club that is raking in millions from Sky TV.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
before there's too much indignation, has it occured to anyone that maybe no one will take the job, or if they do they would have to have indepedant means?

teaboy

Jul 5, 2003
My house
before there's too much indignation, has it occured to anyone that maybe no one will take the job, or if they do they would have to have indepedant means?

I sincerely hope nobody applies. If there's a job to be done the person doing it should be paid accordingly.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
Rubbish. People in the theatre industry are paid, even if it's 'profit share' in no-budget 1-week runs that generally end up as unpaid. They certainly are not unpaid in principle. Also, being good at moving set does not make you a good actor and is unlikely to get you any parts!

This 'offer' is entirely unpaid, personal expenses of travelling the country will not be paid. It is NOT a job!

I think you misunderstood my wider point, my 'wax lyrical' bit was just an example of how progression within a profession can sometimes take an unorthodox starting point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here