Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No striker on bench out of seven subs.

durrington gull

Aug 29, 2004
Worthing
Ulloa to my eyes, looks like a good old fashioned centre forward, great in the air, good at flicking it on and bringing others into play. Tailor made for a nippy centre forward to play off of him...Modern day Mellor and Ward...There were a few times on Saturday when the ball was fizzing around in the box, we were crying out for a poacher to just toe poke it in.

On earlier interviews though (BBC i think?) Garcia stated that he prefers 1 up front so not sure he will go with another striker? Barnes clearly isnt the answer imo so perhaps give Buckley a go until CMS comes back?

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
I also feel if we signed a Becchio or sharp type striker it would give the team a real lift and show the fans we really do mean business and we are making some quality signings in order to be a success..

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I also feel if we signed a Becchio or sharp type striker it would give the team a real lift and show the fans we really do mean business and we are making some quality signings in order to be a success..

It would certainly lift a few spirits. I think we are all longing for a signing we can get a buzz about. I don't believe Garcia would have come in the first place without being promised a few quid to spend. Hope its sooner rather than later. Because if come midnight on deadline day we haven't got a left back and another striker I fear the worst...Bridcutt was sorely missed on Saturday, but I think Bridge is the one that might be harder to replace. He was international quality and made defending look simple. The first half on Saturday we looked petrified to pass the ball down the left hand side.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
It would certainly lift a few spirits. I think we are all longing for a signing we can get a buzz about. I don't believe Garcia would have come in the first place without being promised a few quid to spend. Hope its sooner rather than later. Because if come midnight on deadline day we haven't got a left back and another striker I fear the worst...Bridcutt was sorely missed on Saturday, but I think Bridge is the one that might be harder to replace. He was international quality and made defending look simple. The first half on Saturday we looked petrified to pass the ball down the left hand side.

These are my thoughts exactly...most new managers are enticed with promise of budget etc, we have an increased budget and haven't bought anyone yet....OG keeps on about NOT taking chances...I feel a striker, lb and CB are on the cards and if they are any good will cost....incidentally last year at this time we had free transfers and loans UNTIL we sold Noone..then we bought Orlandi,dobbie etc on deadline day..

theonesmith

Oct 27, 2008

I normally disagree with you, but I can't disagree with anything you've said in this thread. Both Leeds and derby had far better striking options than us. Expect us to at least bring someone in on loan..

S'hampton Seagull

Oct 12, 2003
Southampton
Just shows you how desperate we are for a striker. Dickenson and Barker can't be thought that much of if they can't get on the bench when we haven't got a striker to come on. We need someone, even if it's only a short term loan/deal until Cms is back upto speed. I noticed Ebanks-Blake is without a club, if he was fit I reckon he would be a right handful alongside Ulloa.

Agreed, another striker is a must. With Hoskins out for the season and CMS out until Oct, I don't see we have a choice if we are hoping to do anything in the too half this season

Goldstone1976

We Got Calde in!!
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Apr 30, 2013
Herts
Well, I don't often agree with Kev on admin/commercial management of the Albion, nor about much of what he has said about the Gus situation in the past, but I think he's spot on with everything he's said in this thread.

We do need another strike option and a "poacher" sums up perfectly what we're lacking. He's also right that subbing Ashley twice doesn't exactly lead one to conclude that Oscar thinks he is the answer. I too was impressed with Dickenson's pace against VR. If the funds aren't there to get another striker, I'd be inclined to put him on the bench, but he looks more like an "up and at 'em" type player (a la Kaz? ish) rather than a poacher.

I don't think anyone doubts we need a replacement for Bridge, and I really don't think that Maxi is the answer (yet).

As an aside I think Ince could be the real business in 10-20 games time.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
100% agree. Don't know why some are trying to slate you. A striker off the bench is an absolute must.

forumwayseagull

Oct 22, 2005
Rochester kent
On Saturday I was genuinely convinced Ulloa would get sent off as his frustration grew, along with hi backchat to the ref.... This matter along with a lb needs sorting this week...

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
I think it says something that it took you about two days to notice this.

Thats right,I never noticed it Saturday afternoon, only realised it last night and no one else had started a thread so i thought why not.I know some people find it amusing having a pop at me but if thats the best you can do,when just about everyone else agrees, then i hope you feel pleased with yourself and face the day with a grin,feeling really clever.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
Assuming everyone is fit. I would have Buckley, Ulloa and Kaz starting. Barnes as sub. Bring Barnes on for whoever is not having a good game. Barnes seems more 'fired up' when he arrives from a bench position.

Hyperion

Nov 1, 2010
Although the LB is top of the list I agree we do need another striker. Hoskins is really struggling and CMS is a way off yet to being match fit. As the OP says we need an option off the bench of some quality. Whether we get that or an LB is another matter. So far it seems we have been sold down the river on the playing budget statement. First and foremost though is we need to sort our bloody form and style of football out

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Or we just play two wingers and rotate Ulloa with Barnes? Orlandi to play wide left, Buckley wide right with Kaz and March on the bench. Just a thought

Good call. Barnes is not a left winger or left midfielder.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
When all fit I would start with Buckley Ulloa and Orlandi up front with Barnes to come on also March but for more than 4 mins if a goal is needed. Based on what he has produced recently I would have Lua Lua on the bench but not use him unless either Buckley or Orladi was having a stinker or got injured.

Grovesyg

Jul 7, 2009
Thats right,I never noticed it Saturday afternoon, only realised it last night and no one else had started a thread so i thought why not.I know some people find it amusing having a pop at me but if thats the best you can do,when just about everyone else agrees, then i hope you feel pleased with yourself and face the day with a grin,feeling really clever.

You are a cock! It's smarmy answers like that why you get so much grief on here

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
When all fit I would start with Buckley Ulloa and Orlandi up front with Barnes to come on also March but for more than 4 mins if a goal is needed. Based on what he has produced recently I would have Lua Lua on the bench but not use him unless either Buckley or Orladi was having a stinker or got injured.

Orlandi is an interesting call. I'm not sure that would work he's very lightweight and I think better served coming into the box late from midfield. Also, not the greatest finisher.

Personally, as somebody else mentioned I would go for 2 wingers and Ulloa primarily, and then perhaps rotate Barnes with Ulloa from time to time. The only trouble is Barnes does do a lot of work defensively for the team, which neither Buckley or KLL/March are capable of.

rcf0712

Out Here In The Perimeter
Feb 26, 2009
Perth, Western Australia
Just shows you how desperate we are for a striker. Dickenson and Barker can't be thought that much of if they can't get on the bench when we haven't got a striker to come on. We need someone, even if it's only a short term loan/deal until Cms is back upto speed. I noticed Ebanks-Blake is without a club, if he was fit I reckon he would be a right handful alongside Ulloa.

easy tiger. settle..., it's all gonna come right, just keep the faith

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here