Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Anyone ? Only there may be a few in France :lolol:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
What was the thing with the VAR checking a penalty for us that looked to be given but ended up being a free kick for Marseille? Very confused watching it in a crowded pub with no commentary
I think the confusion was where we all thought he was pointing to the spot when giving the free kick.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
What was the thing with the VAR checking a penalty for us that looked to be given but ended up being a free kick for Marseille? Very confused watching it in a crowded pub with no commentary
The ball hit the arm of a OM defender but van Hecke was at his back and the ref gave a free-kick to OM for a foul by JPvH.

If I remember rightly OM had won a corner as that sequence played out - I'm sure they were delighted to have to take a free-kick in their own penalty area instead!

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
This thread would already be at 30 pages if it were the other way around. Corruption, UEFA hates us.. :lolol:

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
The VAR spotted that the ball had brushed the guy’s arm - completely unnoticed by anyone - and called the ref across to take a look.

The ref watched it, and decided (probably rightly) that JPVH had fouled the defender, causing him to handle it.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
The VAR spotted that the ball had brushed the guy’s arm - completely unnoticed by anyone - and called the ref across to take a look.

The ref watched it, and decided (probably rightly) that JPVH had fouled the defender, causing him to handle it.
It was worrying listening to the commentators say what had happened because the initial thought was something had gone wrong up our end.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
Referee was awful, gave 99% of every decision to Marseille, or are we all forgetting that? They’re players falling over and then he stops the play a few seconds later.
That's better.

I agree, especially the pansy who was rolling about after Lamptey had crushed his ankle :lolol:

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
They're complaining about the ref when we were given a penalty using VAR, then had it taken away? He
gave it, then somehow ended up pulling it back and giving them a free kick, which VAR can't do.

Not to mention the ref letting their gamesmanship (diving, rolling around, timewasting) go unpunished, going so far as to book Veltman for a 'tackle' when he was nowhere near the player. Jesus christ.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
They're complaining about the ref when we were given a penalty using VAR, then had it taken away? He
gave it, then somehow ended up pulling it back and giving them a free kick, which VAR can't do.

Not to mention the ref letting their gamesmanship (diving, rolling around, timewasting) go unpunished, going so far as to book Veltman for a 'tackle' when he was nowhere near the player. Jesus christ.
I'm pretty sure he didn't. He awarded a free kick. It looked like a penalty decision but wasn't.

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
VAR can't pull play back for a free kick in that situation, surely?! I've never seen that happen.

It probably was a foul by JPvH and would have been a harsh penalty, but still.
My interpretation is that VAR had checked a number of things. He was called to the screen, but went against the guidance after seeing the foul. Thus the match is re-set to the point at which the decision dictates because play had stopped for him to go to the monitor.

I think.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Let’s face it he was far better than the one who Reffed the match against AEK Athens …..Marseille have obvs got to come up with some excuses as to why they *ucked up a two nil lead …….oh look a bit of blood on his sock…had ten times that on my fingers this afternoon pruning a rose bush.

Anyway I didn’t think we were allowed to talk about refs post match eh BL 😉

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Let’s face it he was far better than the one who Reffed the match against AEK Athens …..Marseille have obvs got to come up with some excuses as to why they *ucked up a two nil lead …….oh look a bit of blood on his sock…had ten times that on my fingers this afternoon pruning a rose bush.

Chris Sutton usually deems it taboo too. To paraphrase “Why are we talking about the occasional mistakes of VAR or referees? When we should be looking at the multiple mistakes each game from managers and players,”

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Chris Sutton usually deems it taboo too. To paraphrase “Why are we talking about the occasional mistakes of VAR or referees? When we should be looking at the multiple mistakes each game from managers and players,”
On a separate topic….have you spent your fiver yet 😉

Last edited:

Eeyore

NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

On the contrary, I was most disappointed by the lack of the after match thread. Even my attempts at a little troll seem to have failed here. I was hoping my dear sparring partner, the splendid @Icy Gull, would be along. I even took a look at his profile worried about his absence.

I'm going to bed feeling unfulfilled. The ref thread has become part of my Albion ritual. I hope we can get back to normal at the weekend.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here