Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No poppies on the shirt !

SIMMO SAYS

Jul 31, 2012
Incommunicado
And there was me thinking the majority fought/ gave their lives because of conscription??? I include both sides of the war in this obviously....( and obviously I have nothing except the upmost heartfelt respect for those that lost their lives and their families, greater people than I could ever wish to be)

Hope you are not quoting me there pauli
My Dads dad was gassed and lost his hair.
His brother in law flew them by-planes:eek:
They both survived the first world war and said nothing about their experiences as far as I can remember.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Hope you are not quoting me there pauli
My Dads dad was gassed and lost his hair.
His brother in law flew them by

Sorry, a few weird quoting things going on there!
A couple of horrible stories in my family too, was just pointing out that a lot of these guys never chose to be involved/died/injured in these conflicts, which makes things a hell of a lot of worse. Certainly not a time for political nit picking, which I apologise for. Respect and remembrance for all the fallen heroes x

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof
It's not the military I remember on Armistice Day but the poor souls who lost their lives fighting for what they believed was a just cause and also those who fought and died because they had no choice. Remembrance ceremonies should in my opinion be a civilian affair - by all means include veterans remembering their fallen comrades but there is no need for an overt military presence at such events.
Pretty much how I feel about it too.

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Wearing a poppy should surely be an individuals choice, if they choose not to, fine, as long as respect is shown to those that do. Personally I find it slightly cringeworthy that in any TV studio for the 2 weeks leading up to Remembrance Sunday all the guests/presenters are wearing poppies, and you know that for the vast majority they have been pinned on by the producers before the show starts. I bought my poppy today, and wore it today as that is what it is for, although my van has been displaying a large poppy on the front for the last couple of weeks !!

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
My ex girlfriend from many moons ago went to a school in the states and every morning at school the Yanks use to salute the American flag etc. She refused too which caused quite a stir.

Why do people waste their lives on here debating this crap? Where does it get you? Switch off your computers, step outside and reclaim your lives, it's a lovely day out there. See you down on the prom.

As much as I agree with you, you could apply this to any thread on here. It's all bollocks.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I've not trawled through all this but did Celtic have any players or staff that lost their lives in the wars? They surely must have had supporters who did so wouldn't it have been better to go with the national spirit of remembrance rather than make the gesture not too?

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
Not a surprise at all! A club with a very very dark history, often glorified and papered over but a single scratch shows the badness beneath.

On a more sensible front it was very good to see the Irish Republic represented at the Cenotaph today as a mark of respect to the 40,000 or so fallen gallant Irish fighters from the 1st WW. Their contribution was immense and ridicules the pathetic Celtic stance to the point of 'move on, forget the hooped dross for what they are worth; which isn't much'!

TNBA

TTF

you two must have got a hard-on when you saw this thread.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Well done to you not PUBLICLY expressing your support------are you allergic to paper poppies or frightened normal people will laugh at you.
Send me your address and I'll send you a quid via a brown envelope so you can buy one next year - no one will know---only me & you:moo:
I didn't go to church and all the other stuff you describe----but I choose to buy a poppy at the very least coz I don't care a flying feck what the public think you sad case.

charming

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Why would they now wear poppies? Disrespectful.

Deportivo Seagull

I should coco
Jul 22, 2003
Mid Sussex
It's not the military I remember on Armistice Day but the poor souls who lost their lives fighting for what they believed was a just cause and also those who fought and died because they had no choice. Remembrance ceremonies should in my opinion be a civilian affair - by all means include veterans remembering their fallen comrades but there is no need for an overt military presence at such events.

I suspect much of the reason it is, as you put it, overtly military is because in the 70's and until the Falklands the arm forces weren't held in very high regard. I know as I speak from experience. It was backed up by the fact that only those that served or were serving actually attended remembrance services. Things have thankfully now changed ....

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
This comes up every year, you can't claim to be surprised?

Presumably their rationale is the same or similar to that expressed yesterday by James McLean. Whilst I think the act of Remembrance is extremely important, I also think it has to be a personal decision to express that by the physical act of wearing a poppy or whatever.

After all: isn't it the remembering and caring that's what's key here? If somebody were to wear a poppy but not actually give a toss or think about the meaning of it, what would be the point? Like somebody wearing a crucifix whilst not believing in God.

Presumably they will observe the minute's silence.
Did they observe it? I remember a few years ago Celtic had a game away on Remembrance Sunday on Sky and Sky dubbed the minute with silence whilst at the game their supporters jeered and heckled through it which was disgraceful from both Sky and Celtic supporters.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
I found myself wondering what people's views would have been if Paddy McCourt- also being from Derry- had expressed the same view.

(I had a little look at the match worn shirts online and his, poppy and all, is definitely on there).

I see what you're saying, but I don't think McLean has either disgraced Wigan or himself. Perhaps if he'd written that letter a couple of years ago, when this all first kicked off, he'd have had less flak in the meantime. I felt it was quite eloquently written.

On the subject of poppies, I've just seen a Pompey player kissing the poppy on his shirt when he scored a penalty at Fratton Park a couple of minutes ago. Perhaps he has his personal reasons. But that looked a bit odd to me too.
You're a policewoman, I presume you're British , its known as Londonderry by British people, on second thoughts I'm not surprised, you come across as the sort of copper that's wants to be more of a social worker than someone who's interested in nicking toerags.

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
Wigans james mcclean wrote a letter to his board saying why as an irishman hr wouldnt wear a poppy its in the independent online and was very interesting and explain why he eouldnt wear it. I personally dont wear on I understand theae men died but feel especially the first world war the leaders of this country treated human life with so little care poppy day now seems to glorify this aswell as most recent wars which I object to. These men/women today choose to be trained as killers and then go out and kill get hurt then come back expecting to be heroes.
Ironically people will no doubt come on here saying "they died for your freedom" but dont understand when someone exercises their fight of freedom NOT to wear one.
I know a lot who've served in afghanistan and Iraq, I don't know any who joined up so they could be"trained as killers" or came home "expecting to be heroes" , your view is so shortsighted its beyond belief, you absolute tosspot :tosser:

Bombadier Botty

Complete Twaddle
Jun 2, 2008
I always find it a bit strange when posters criticise others for debating the very thread they are wasting their own time on????

Not really the same as engaging in the endless merry-go-round of emotive, pseudo-political threads, debated on here for days on end at a time though is it? What are people hoping to achieve? What is the personal payoff for them? In person I could understand it...

User removed 4

May 9, 2008
Haywards Heath
No. I wish to remember the fallen, in my own way. I don't need a plastic and paper poppy to remind me. Others do. Good for you and them.

That is what these brave men and women fought for - to allow people to express themselves in any way they wish in a democratic and free society
Do me a favour, the majority of people in ww2 fought to stop us being invaded by the Germans, no more, no less, I don't buy any of your mealy mouthed crap why you don't wear a poppy, what is so wrong with SHOWING you care and are remembering ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here