Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] No mow May

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
How about the weeding, the raking, the seeding, the raking again, the moaning "What have you done to the lawn, it looks awful" followed by more raking, more seeding and more moaning. Only for it to be just as shit a year later with just the week of it looking half decent.

It's utterly pointless and soul destroying in equal measure. The perfect job for a bored retiree.

Add hollow tyne aeration, filling with a fine sand/loam mix. Yawn.

Yep, I cut my losses.

Ornamental lawns were an artificial creation from 1700’s where the upper classes created them as a mark of wealth and status in being able to employ staff to maintain the look.

Iggle Piggle

Sep 3, 2010
Add hollow tyne aeration, filling with a fine sand/loam mix. Yawn.

Yep, I cut my losses.

Ornamental lawns were an artificial creation from 1700’s where the upper classes created them as a mark of wealth and status in being able to employ staff to maintain the look.
I did an experiment this year. Some seed. Some seed with compost. A different brand of seed. A bit of turf from the garden centre.Aeration. No Aeration.

I have scientifically concluded that it's all a complete waste of time especially when the dog pisses on it and eats the turf. At least it barks at the overweight pigeon gorging on the free seed.

Si Gull

Way Down South
Mar 18, 2008
On top of the world
How about the weeding, the raking, the seeding, the raking again, the moaning "What have you done to the lawn, it looks awful" followed by more raking, more seeding and more moaning. Only for it to be just as shit a year later with just the week of it looking half decent.

It's utterly pointless and soul destroying in equal measure. The perfect job for a bored retiree.
Personally, I'd be more than happy without a lawn, they're an unnatural, monoculture abomination....but, the other half wants a nice lawn so what's to be done?

The Grockle

Formally Croydon Seagull
Sep 26, 2008
Dorset
I enjoy having a mown lawn surrounded by lots of borders packed with plants for pollinators and wildlife personally.

I understand the benefits of having a meadow or natural lawn but I spend hours each month to have a garden I can spend time in, much of that is on our well kept lawn. We have bees, butterflies, I've counted over 100 birds visiting at one time, have 8 bird boxes, a healthy population of bats. I feel our garden is a wildlife haven so won't feel guilty for maintaining a low cut lawn.

BN9 BHA

DOCKERS
NSC Patron
Jul 14, 2013
Newhaven
I won’t be mowing my back garden ever again as I’ve got fake grass, my dog ruined the old grass
Not sure if @LamieRobertson has given me the angry emoji for having fake grass or because my dog enjoyed digging my old lawn to find stones just under the turf.
I must admit it looks a lot tidier in my garden now, the lawn didn’t exactly look like the Amex pitch before we got the dog :smile:

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
Yup.
I'd also recommend Slo-Mo May, where you do everything like slow motion action replays. Makes a sprint for the bus look like Tai Chi.
And you miss the bus.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
It's the latest bollocks from the Green lobby. If you don't mow your lawn for a month the chances of being able to cut the long grass after four weeks are about zero. Most mowers just won't handle it.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
It's the latest bollocks from the Green lobby. If you don't mow your lawn for a month the chances of being able to cut the long grass after four weeks are about zero. Most mowers just won't handle it.

It’s a totally different approach, with known consequences beyond May. The stripy look goes, an acceptance that ‘weeds’ are prevalent. Mowers on high settings, gradually reduced, can cope in June.

Unlike ULEZ or green energy tariffs, it’s purely a personal choice with no consequences for those carrying on as before.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It’s a totally different approach, with known consequences beyond May. The stripy look goes, an acceptance that ‘weeds’ are prevalent. Mowers on high settings, gradually reduced, can cope in June.

Unlike ULEZ or green energy tariffs, it’s purely a personal choice with no consequences for those carrying on as before.
With the grass I’ve been told to leave since late March, it’ll be a strim then it’ll take a few cuts b4 the lawn looks pleasing to the eye …..tbh I don’t care two hoots what people what to do with there’s …(if it’s a customer) long as they understand the consequences…..

I’ve got a postage stamp front lawn and apart from a foot around each side, leave it for 6/8 weeks this time of year ….this is what happened last year
DSCF9062.jpeg

Colonel Mustard

Jun 18, 2023
I’m in. I find lawns very boring things to look at and to maintain. Maybe if you have young kids it makes sense but otherwise I think it’s sad to get obsessive about keeping a stretch of grass closely cropped. Let nature express herself!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here