[Misc] No mow May

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Don't mow your lawn for the whole of May.

Provides a feast for pollinators, tackles pollution, reduce urban heat extremes, and lock away atmospheric carbon below ground.

Anyone else in?

Commander

NSC Patron
Apr 28, 2004
London
No. But thanks.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green

Provides a feast for pollinators, tackles pollution, reduce urban heat extremes, and lock away atmospheric carbon below ground.

Anyone else in?
No. I live on a 3000 acre private estate. Apart from a few sheep it hasn't been farmed for decades. My 3/4 acre plot will make little difference

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
It's a no from me. I was in last year and didn't mow for at least a couple of months. Result: I suffered terribly from hay fever.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I though that June was the best month to not mow. calling @Jack Straw

cjd

Jun 22, 2006
La Rochelle
FFS....May is the only time of the year here, that the grass is lush AND green.

My lawn will get mowed every four or five days............all on my tractor mower. Too much fun not to mow and I have more than enough insects freeloading in my house as it is.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

Anyone else in?
Given that my garden still looks like the Somme with the odd tuft ( thanks to the dog ), I think I'll be mowing the little bits have I have left I'm afraid.

It's much better to plant shrubs and plants that pollinators like.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
No from me. My grass will likely be dead straw by June, so I may as well have one month of a decent lawn.

There are plenty of insects about in my garden, otherwise the frogs and lizards would have disappeared before now, so I am going to focus on not overtidying the scruffy bits of my garden.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I already have a lots of zones and plant for pollinators, but for the first time I'm also following this for the entire spring/summer on one of our two lawns. Tens years ago I created the perfect lawn, but I got bored of the constant fight against invasive flora. So now, sit back, relax and admire the insect life.

The aim is to create a chalkland meadow from next summer, with a pond. But @Wardy's twin will tell you I've going on about that last bit for years.

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
I guess there is a halfway house.

I'm planning to mow the front lawns which are visible on the street, and the back lawn nearest to the house, to keep up the pretence of tidiness, but leave the back, back 'lawn' beyond the raised beds, greenhouse and compost area, because I can't be arsed to leave it for the pollinators and other associated beasts.

Nobby Cybergoat

Jul 19, 2021
Love a bit of extra growth personally.

But the kids will moan if their football pitch isn't looking Amex level immaculate

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports