[News] No military uniforms by close relatives of Prince Phillip at his funeral

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Nicholas Witchell reporting for the BBC is only mentioning that it's to save Harry any embarrassment that none of them are wearing uniform.

The BBC didn't even mention Andrew wanting to dress up as an Admiral which absolutely stinks of biased coverage and shows just how manipulative our national broadcaster can be.

Totally agree.

Considering they are supposed to be neutral, the emphasis they put on some things compared to others is an utter joke. Whether it be this, Covid or Hancock's dodgy dealings, my view of the BBC has gone through the floor in the last 12 months.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Always makes me laugh seeing Prince Edward in uniform, he must have had a pretty action packed month in the Royal Marines given all those medals he's sporting.

Marriott.jpg

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Not quite right he can no longer wear his "honoury" uniform so he could go dressed in his Captains uniform when he served but he wont get to wear all the lovely badges, braids and American styled medals and jumped up rank.

Also an issue with Andrew wanting to wear his honoury Admirals uniform so the Old Girl said no body gets to dress up.

They will both have to wait for an alternative party (this is not meant as an attempt to underming HRH Philips funeral).

Another issue is that Andrew isn't actually an Admiral, he just wants to dress up as one!

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
I've not got a dog in this fight, but all this is a bit mental, isn't it?

Breaking news on my phone earlier was about who can or can't wear what to a funeral. With EVERYTHING that is going on in the world at the moment, THAT story is deemed one of the most important ones?

Does anyone care? Does it REALLY matter?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I am frightened to turn on the telly to watch the funeral.

Every time I ring my Dad the first bit of news he usually has to tell me is who's funeral he has just been at. Although not as much recently due to attendance numbers due to Covid. I am sure he is just gatecrashing the Buffet.

So I am frightened to turn on the telly on Saturday in case I see him sitting there :)

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Always makes me laugh seeing Prince Edward in uniform, he must have had a pretty action packed month in the Royal Marines given all those medals he's sporting.

Not all medals are campaign medals. Three are Jubilee medals, of which any uniformed personnel are entitled at the time. My firefighter son has the golden and diamond jubilee medals and a long service gong.
There will be another due next year for the platinum jubilee.
Princess Anne has medals, is head of women in the Royal Navy, but never served, not even one day.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Utter nonsense. I'm not sure you could be wider of the mark, if you tried.

Prince Harry served two active tours of Afghanistan. He would have been completely entitled to wear his field uniform, to the rank of Captain, earned in conflict, on this occasion. Which family you come from, or remain fully part of, affects that right, not one jot.

You think he should be 'ashamed, and made (to) feel stupid', rather than the guy eluding FBI questioning over trafficking and rape of underage girls, who fancied dressing up in a uniform and regalia beyond anything actually earned?

:shrug:

Not supporting Andrew at all, in fact I can’t stand him, he was PWO training at HMS Dryad when I was there in 91 and the bullshit we had to do every time he drove through main gate was pathetic, anyway I’m pretty sure he “earned” a South Atlantic Campaign medal no?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not supporting Andrew at all, in fact I can’t stand him, he was PWO training at HMS Dryad when I was there in 91 and the bullshit we had to do every time he drove through main gate was pathetic, anyway I’m pretty sure he “earned” a South Atlantic Campaign medal no?

Yes, I’ve heard he had an attitude of don’t you know who I am, but he was on active service during the Falklands conflict, flying helicopters. He earned the rank of Commander, so it could be argued, he drop the honorary Admiral rank, but then does Anne?

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
Not all medals are campaign medals. Three are Jubilee medals, of which any uniformed personnel are entitled at the time. My firefighter son has the golden and diamond jubilee medals and a long service gong.
Princess Anne has medals, is head of women in the Royal Navy, but never served, not even one day.

Don`t you find that annoying , your son does an incredible job with bravery for the same recognition of someone who doesn`t even have to show up . Mind you i have little respect for most of the Royals , but Anne is a good,un .

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
For what little it`s worth i think Harry`s recent behaviour should exclude him from a celebration of a life he has just disrespected on f*****g oprah .

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing

I was in the RN in 1977 at the time of the Silver Jubilee. Not every serviceman ( or woman) got one. If I remember correctly, every Captain of a ship got one, one officer, one senior rate, and one junior rate got one.
This was on a frigate, so approx 230 crew.

It may well of changed for the Golden jubilee, and whatever has come since.

There are too many medals given out now, it downgrades the important ones. We’ll end up like the Yanks and be getting medals for crossing the Atlantic, and seeing a terrorist on the 6 o’clock news.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I was in the RN in 1977 at the time of the Silver Jubilee. Not every serviceman ( or woman) got one. If I remember correctly, every Captain of a ship got one, one officer, one senior rate, and one junior rate got one.
This was ŷon a frigate, so approx 230 crew.

It may well of changed for the Golden jubilee, and whatever has come since.

There are too many medals given out now, it downgrades the important ones. We’ll end up like the Yanks and be getting medals for crossing the Atlantic, and seeing a terrorist on the 6 o’clock news.

Yes, the Silver Jubilee medals were rationed, but Golden & Diamond Jubilee awarded to all.
The Yanks get a medal for passing basic training.

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
The Yanks get a medal for passing basic training.

Here you go,

f17a051de5454e67f6d7b987256a285f.jpg

The National Defense Service Medal is a service award of the United States Armed Forces established by President Dwight D. Eisenhower in 1953. It is awarded to every member of the US Armed Forces who has served during any one of four specified periods of armed conflict or national emergency from 1950 to the present. Wikipedia
Last awarded: March 28, 2003 – present (retroactive to September 11, 2001)
First awarded: April 22, 1953 – July 27, 1954 (retroactive to June 27, 1950)
Campaign(s): Korean War, Vietnam War, Persian Gulf War, and the Global War on Terrorism
Eligibility: Member of the United States Armed Forces during qualifying periods of national emergency

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Nicholas Witchell reporting for the BBC is only mentioning that it's to save Harry any embarrassment that none of them are wearing uniform.

The BBC didn't even mention Andrew wanting to dress up as an Admiral which absolutely stinks of biased coverage and shows just how manipulative our national broadcaster can be.

[MENTION=750]swindonseagull[/MENTION] will give you the inside track on the Duke of York.
This is when they used to empty the aircraft latrines on the royal flight :lolol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports