Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No Kayal + No Stephens = No Creativity

Phat Baz 68

Get a ****ing life mate !
Apr 16, 2011
really really missed them today. We looked like a completely different team. Ince and Crofts put as a shift in but don't have a creative bone in their collective bodies so the only option was for the ball to go wide, which Preston dealt with comfortably.

Preston were properly shit on the ball and we gave them far too much respect towards the end.

Absolutely spot on. No creativity whatsoever awful, dull, shitey grind it out football , now what does that possibly say about those players out on the pitch then and Houghton ?
Also missing Greers superior organisation at the back too, looked very very iffy at times.

We have to acknowledge and accept this is the type of football that CH will have them playing week in week out its not going to be pretty and sexy football like Poyets and Oscars.

sllugaes

Dec 15, 2012
I agree. Hemed is not what I was hoping he would be, Baldock has a much better first touch but doesn't have the physique. Hemed gets barged off the ball far too easily and doesn't seem to have a strikers clinical finish. We still need a top class striker.
Totally agree with you - baldock obviously has pace although unfortunately lacks the physical presence, (today he was on a 1-1 after a ball over the top, and was muscled off it) and for me not clinical at this level I.e. the championship. As you say Hemed, yes he has scored a few goals, but just not convinced he is the answer - I do hope I am wrong!

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Anyone who thinks I'm having a massive moan - I'm not, just it shows how essential our first choice midfield two is to the team.

Did everyone notice that we seemingly settled for a draw with about 10-15 mins to go? That huddle, then Holla coming on and the massive lack of urgency. I guess I can understand to an extent, as we didn't look like creating anything if we'd been there 10 hours.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Anyone who thinks I'm having a massive moan - I'm not, just it shows how essential our first choice midfield two is to the team.

Did everyone notice that we seemingly settled for a draw with about 10-15 mins to go? That huddle, then Holla coming on and the massive lack of urgency. I guess I can understand to an extent, as we didn't look like creating anything if we'd been there 10 hours.

I couldn't get my head around the Holla substitution, but he did well enough and they didn't score, so I guess there's some justification.

As Warren kept repeating:-

7 points from 9, in a week is plenty good enough.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
I feel Ince shouldn't see the field unless we are backs to the wall defending a LEAD. He can fill that role off the bench but we could have done with JFC today as 4th CM and Holla doesn't seem to fit these days. Fingers crossed he drifts back to the continent and we use his wages elsewhere. Could be good somewhere just hasn't seemed to work here

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Closest we came today imho

DSCF3090.JPG

BrianWade4

Aug 17, 2010
A nice bit of South London
really really missed them today. We looked like a completely different team. Ince and Crofts put as a shift in but don't have a creative bone in their collective bodies so the only option was for the ball to go wide, which Preston dealt with comfortably.

Preston were properly shit on the ball and we gave them far too much respect towards the end.

Correct. End of discussion

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
When I saw Stephens and Kayal both out, arguably the best midfield pairing in the Championship, I thought I would be happy with a point. So I am happy with a point. Having lost those two and needing to bring in two rusty replacements, I also questioned the wisdom of bringing in Murphy after three weeks out of the team rather than retain Solly who knows the current rhythm of the side. I think our unbeaten run dodged a bullet and to remain 4 points clear after taking 7 points out of 9 has to be a positive. Add to the mix that our captain was out, our first choice winger (KLL) was out, Stockdale only passed a late fitness test to play, plus we played out the last 10 minutes with only 10 men, and we actually did very well indeed.

ryans father

Jul 19, 2005
East Sheen SW14
Ince and Crofts both tried their best, its just that they have to take an extra touch all the time which slows everything down and allows the opposition to get defensively set.

The biggest difference between this year and last year has been the pace that we have moved the ball. Yesterday reminded me so much of last year with the ball moved slowly around the field and people walking around the middle of the park. Kayal and Stephens do everything at a quicker tempo which creates the space wide for our wingers and through the middle for the front two. Added to this they are both goal scoring threats which Ince and Crofts with current fitness levels are not.

Don Tmatter

Jul 7, 2003
dont matter
I wondered yesterday whether Bruno could have taken Kayal's role in midfield, similar outlook i.e both always looking to receive the ball and looking for killer pass when in possession.

Also, Ince has better games when GG behind 'advising' him.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here