Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No hard feelings.....

gwc

georgeweahscousin
Apr 21, 2011
Overlooking the Solent
Refrained from coming on here too soon after Saturday, as feelings were running a bit high, but just wanted to say, no hard feelings for Saturday.

Strange game, and as has been discussed to death, the referee had a shocker, although I think the poor decisions were equally bad towards both clubs.

For what it's worth, your biggest problem this season will be the indiscipline in your team, and despite the referee's poor decisions, you really rode your luck at times with some tackles and manhandling. When your assistant manager is getting dismissed for dissent though, it is extremely telling.

You have the nucleus of a decent side, though playing so negatively it is pointless having someone as good as CMS in the team.

In reality though, we won the game in midfield. Hammond and Cork ran the show and I never felt at any point that we wouldn't create enough chances to score.

That is my two pennys worth anyway, take it or leave it.

All the best for the rest of the season.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
We are miles behind you now. What is more frustrating than losing to the best team in the league is how you seem to have kicked on whereas we haven't. And annoyingly, earlier this season it looked like it was going to be the two teams fighting it out again, but form suggests we look like a mid table side now.

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
Trouble is we are missing Buckley, Hoskins and Vicente near enough every week. Without any of those 3 we are relying on Noone to feed CMS and as well as he is doing, he can't do it by himself. Not saying they will be the instant solution to all our problems, but without them we lack any cutting edge in the opponents half

We are miles behind you now. What is more frustrating than losing to the best team in the league is how you seem to have kicked on whereas we haven't. And annoyingly, earlier this season it looked like it was going to be the two teams fighting it out again, but form suggests we look like a mid table side now.

Saints were always going to be the stronger team this year. They are years ahead of us in structure and development of their team, give it another 2-3 years and we'll be there too

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
The first penalty completely ruined the game. At 1-0 down we were starting to look the better team (admittedly for a period of only 10-15 minutes). The non-penalty and subsequent red card completely ended the game as a spectacle.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Saints were always going to be the stronger team this year. They are years ahead of us in structure and development of their team, give it another 2-3 years and we'll be there too
No they weren't. They've made 2 or 3 changes to the team that came second last year. On the other hand, the decision to let Murray go has looked worse and worse as time goes on. (Fine to let him go, but is it obvious now that we should have replaced him with someone who can hold the ball up)

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Southampton are a lot better than us, and we were shown that on Saturday. The controversy surrounding the penalties can't be used as an excuse- we simply were not good enough to even take a point.
The indiscipline is incredibly frustrating and Tano should know by now, at the tender age of 38, that you cannot go mouthing off at the ref. Setting a poor example all round.
We were completely over-run in midfield. Hammond, Cork and Lallana are in a different league to Harley and Navarro, who would probably struggle to maintain a starting spot at a League One side.
The foundations are there, but we have a long way to go before we can begin to even compete with sides like Southampton, West Ham, Leicester etc. CMS, Bridcutt, Buckley and Vicente are probably the only players that would get near to getting in the Southampton squad, and there is where the problem lies- we just do not have enough quality all over the pitch.
Good luck for the rest of the season, I really cannot see you lot finishing outside the top 2 this season.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
The first penalty completely ruined the game. At 1-0 down we were starting to look the better team (admittedly for a period of only 10-15 minutes). The non-penalty and subsequent red card completely ended the game as a spectacle.

Cant agree with this I'm afraid. We were second best from the kick off. We did well first half in containing them but it was really just a matter of time until they created a decent chance. We did not really have any outlet to look like we could score and have something to hold onto. The penalty whilst killed the game I dont think the outcome would of been different.
Poyet would argue the tactics first half were spot on but I think most of us prefer us to go down having a go.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Cant agree with this I'm afraid. We were second best from the kick off. We did well first half in containing them but it was really just a matter of time until they created a decent chance. We did not really have any outlet to look like we could score and have something to hold onto. The penalty whilst killed the game I dont think the outcome would of been different.
Poyet would argue the tactics first half were spot on but I think most of us prefer us to go down having a go.

I'm referring to the SHORT period of time after they went 1-0 up. In between that and the non-penalty we WERE the better team. Poyet said he knew we'd have to have a go, holding them at 1-0 til about 70 mins gone then throw on Lua Lua and maybe Barnes, we would've had a proper chance of getting something. It was taken out of our hands by the ref.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
On the other hand, the decision to let Murray go has looked worse and worse as time goes on. (Fine to let him go, but is it obvious now that we should have replaced him with someone who can hold the ball up)

Said OVER AND OVER AGAIN at the time "players like Murray do not grow on trees."

Everyone sounded so basic saying "we'll get sum1 beta" - Lambert is the only other player similar around really. Easily Gus's biggest mistake in his time as Albion manager.

Last edited:

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
Refrained from coming on here too soon after Saturday, as feelings were running a bit high, but just wanted to say, no hard feelings for Saturday.

Strange game, and as has been discussed to death, the referee had a shocker, although I think the poor decisions were equally bad towards both clubs.

For what it's worth, your biggest problem this season will be the indiscipline in your team, and despite the referee's poor decisions, you really rode your luck at times with some tackles and manhandling. When your assistant manager is getting dismissed for dissent though, it is extremely telling.

You have the nucleus of a decent side, though playing so negatively it is pointless having someone as good as CMS in the team.

In reality though, we won the game in midfield. Hammond and Cork ran the show and I never felt at any point that we wouldn't create enough chances to score.

I find it very hard to disagree with anything you have said gwc, we were as you know missing some key players. But that is still no excuse for only having one shot on target. The ref was shit for both teams and had a real shocker. You will be promoted this season I have no doubt, but it is still a year or two to early for us to think about promotion.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008

This. They were a Championship team in league 1 wheres we were a league 1 team in league 1 who have let to acclimatize to the championship

leigull

Sep 26, 2010
No they weren't. They've made 2 or 3 changes to the team that came second last year. On the other hand, the decision to let Murray go has looked worse and worse as time goes on. (Fine to let him go, but is it obvious now that we should have replaced him with someone who can hold the ball up)

We played out of our skins last year to beat them in the league, but it was obvious (to me anyway), their team was far better set up (bigger, stronger, more experienced at that level) and would always be ahead of us this year.

Murray is a different subject, and while he is not banging in the goals at Palace, it sounds like he too is being played up front on his own and having to works his nuts off just to get a chance. Would certainly have been interesting to see Murray and CMS together

grummitts gloves

Dec 30, 2008
West Sussex, la,la,la
Annoying as they were, the penalties are almost irrelevant. Lambert scored a good goal whereas we never looked like scoring. As soon as i saw our lineup, i knew we would struggle.

Sent from my iPhone using my fingers.

Arthur

Jul 8, 2003
Buxted Harbour

Indiscipline? I think your players should learn to stay on their feet a bit better. Given you lot spent all season grizzling that we just dived and moaned at the ref you've really caught up in that sense. Still surrounding the referee at half time clearly worked as it bullied him in to giving two of the worst decisions you are likely to see on Saturday afternoon. Take note Gus!

redneb

Oct 28, 2009
Burgess Hill

Sorry but wrong. After our first goal you went straight down our end and nearly caught us off guard still smarting after our first goal. After that, even before we scored our second we had another pen appeal and looked very potent what with you having to change your tight game plan. If Tarrico hadn't been sent off we still would have won, no question.

TWOCHOICEStom

Sep 22, 2007
Brighton
I don't buy into the whole 'we never looked like scoring thing.'
The plan was obviously, hold out for the first half. Which we did. That's not negative, it's sensible at a place like St. Mary's.

If we concede a goal (which Gus admitted was likely), we had a plan b.

What you can't account for, is going 2-0 down and being reduced to 10 men in the 55th minute. Any coaching or planning literally goes out of the window.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Sorry but wrong. After our first goal you went straight down our end and nearly caught us off guard still smarting after our first goal. After that, even before we scored our second we had another pen appeal and looked very potent what with you having to change your tight game plan. If Tarrico hadn't been sent off we still would have won, no question.

Your players constant diving doesn't all count as "pen appeals". I thought we were the "Mediterranean" team. Blimey. I mean fair enough, that ref would give anything it seemed so your players just went for it.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I don't buy into the whole 'we never looked like scoring thing.'
The plan was obviously, hold out for the first half. Which we did. That's not negative, it's sensible at a place like St. Mary's.

If we concede a goal (which Gus admitted was likely), we had a plan b.

What you can't account for, is going 2-0 down and being reduced to 10 men in the 55th minute. Any coaching or planning literally goes out of the window.

Spot on. Game was taken away from us by the ref. Before that we were doing absolutely fine and slowly getting back into the game more.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here