Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No government borrowing in 2018/19 .....

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
What do you mean by 'escalated out of all proportion'? In the first part of the Blair government, the national debt was paid down to a level of around 29% of GDP at the end of the first term. Even before the global crisis, it was still lower than it was in 95/96 and 97. I do agree with your comments that this is a scare story by the Tories, presumably to allow them to get the public sector as small as they possibly can and ultimately lower taxes and put more money in the pocket of their supporter. The debt sounds large but then so is our GDP.
Correct and looking at national office stats it shows borrowing started to accelerate after 2008 to pay for bailed out financial system. Note much of this will be recovered by selling Lloyds and in the future RBS . No doubt the Tories will take the credit for the sale whilst blaming Labour for the purchase!

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
At least if Labour brings the country to its knees (like the global financial crisis did last time), there'll be some sort of help available when we're all f**ked. Whereas when the Tories do, we'll all be in the gutter apart from the bankers and Osborne's other champagne-swilling cronies.

elbowpatches

Jul 7, 2003
Cambridge
This.

This government needed to make cuts but we are in a worse state than before.

Education sector constantly vilified for being poor - Tories would rid themselves of the state sector if they could.

NHS - see above

Social services - see above

Welfare state - see above

I would love to see this country run by experts not ex journalists. Not sure if this quote from George Osborne's Wikipedia is correct but it makes interesting reading.

"After graduating in 1992, Osborne did a few part-time jobs including as a data entry clerk, typing the details of recently deceased into a NHS computer database."

Nothing related to governing the finance of a nation in there.

Stumpy Tim

Cutting what MPs earn or claim, while morally justifiable, won't cure the debt issue. You somewhat contradict yourself with "We may as well be In Hitler's Germany Is I feel we are bordering communism." !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hitler was extreme right wing ( and hated communism ) and communism is extreme left wing.

Extreme right wing and extreme left wing are very close to each other... The political spectrum is actually a horseshoe, which makes Hitler and Stalin (for example) very close politically.

Winker

CUM ON FEEL THE NOIZE
Jul 14, 2008
The Astral Planes, man...
This.

This government needed to make cuts but we are in a worse state than before.

Education sector constantly vilified for being poor - Tories would rid themselves of the state sector if they could.

NHS - see above

Social services - see above

Welfare state - see above

I would love to see this country run by experts not ex journalists. Not sure if this quote from George Osborne's Wikipedia is correct but it makes interesting reading.

"After graduating in 1992, Osborne did a few part-time jobs including as a data entry clerk, typing the details of recently deceased into a NHS computer database."

Nothing related to governing the finance of a nation in there.

If the private sector can deliver health, welfare and education services more effectively and cheaply, whilst still free at the point of delivery. Then what's not to like?

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
If the private sector can deliver health, welfare and education services more effectively and cheaply, whilst still free at the point of delivery. Then what's not to like?
But they can't.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

It can't. The only way it can/has done it is by delivering a poorer service, paying lower wages, providing worse employment benefits and rights, etc. This is why I don't like it. Why do you like it?

Porkydale

Jun 6, 2011
Bankers rule the world ,governments do as they are told ,we are sheep .Was it us sheep that created the 2008 crisis or the bankers ,it doesnt really matter which party is in "power" they have none.Now where is my grass to munch.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here