Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] No fence - good performance or not?

Did we play well or bad?

• Well

Votes: 236 77.1%
  • Bad

Votes: 70 22.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
How anyone can say we played badly is beyond me. Sure you can say the individuals finished badly but as a team it was an excellent performance. The defence was solid, the play making was excellent, we just don't have a quality pair of goal scorers. Trossard is excellent at creating chances he just shouldn't have the responsibility for capitalising on them and as for Maupay the less said the better. That we need Welbeck back on the pitch is a no brainer

So true. Our attacking play was much more direct and had a purpose - wasn’t just possession stuff - we got everything spot on apart from a Webster error and Trossard etc finishing / composure...

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
To be fair, the performance was ok and often is but the results have been dire, especially at home. You can blame the players for the odd game or two where we have all the possession and don’t turn it into goals but not a whole year of misfiring. Potter is paid big bucks (I presume) to get the team playing decent football, scoring and winning and he seems incapable of doing 2 out of 3 of those. I thought when he came he was labelled this coaching mastermind but it seems he is not!
Tonight went exactly the way it has gone for most of the season and therefore the performance in the end meant nothing (again!).

https://www.sportekz.com/football/premier-league-managers-2020-salaries/

PLSalaries.png

I have no idea how accurate this is, but if so, there are only 2 managers in the league that are paid less than Potter (which really doesn't surprise me). In fact, I'm pretty sure Allardyce will be on considerably more than Bilic was, so it's probably only Wilder on less.

I'm not saying £1m p.a. isn't big bucks compared to the average man on the street of course, but it's only fair to compare him to his peers. I'd imagine there are a number of managers in the Championship on more than Potter.

£8m for Bucketman :eek:
£8m for Lampard on the back of 1 year's experience :eek:
£2.75m for that dirge served up by that dinosaur Steve Bruce :eek: :eek: :eek:

I don't think Potter's perfect by any means (though if he can sort out the striker/banjo/barndoor/cow'sbackside issue AND stop sucking air through his teeth before every press conference answer, he pretty much would be), but I think we're incredibly lucky to have a humble, thoughtful, progressive coach on such a (comparatively) low wage.

He isn't just a short-term merchant who will spend big to have a decent run in one season - he's putting in the foundations and philosophy for sustainable building of the squad and subsequent success.

Like it or not, the development of young talent, coached in 'tippy tappy' possession-based football is what you need to do if you want (some of) your young talents to be hoovered up by the big clubs for the big fees you can't turn down, or that you need if you spend a season in the championship.

The only way the club will prosper is by propping up other revenue streams with the occasional sale of talent to a richer (or less prudent) club and that's why we need someone like Potter to bring on the younger talent and/or players from the championship or less obvious leagues overseas.

That's never going to be smooth-sailing, so all in all I think Potter's doing a fine job - I just REALLY hope he can sort out whatever is causing us to miss so many gilt-edged chances.

Last edited:

Mayonaise

May 25, 2014
Haywards Heath
So if you work in a high paid profession but only deliver success for your boss on one occasion in 13 months - would you consider that to be successful at your company?

boik

So if you work in a high paid profession but only deliver success for your boss on one occasion in 13 months - would you consider that to be successful at your company?

Can't believe I'm even bothering to reply to such a stupid question.

The whole premise of your question is based upon your simplistic view of success and not Tony Blooms.

boik

https://www.sportekz.com/football/premier-league-managers-2020-salaries/

View attachment 133132

I have no idea how accurate this is, but if so, there are only 2 managers in the league that are paid less than Potter (which really doesn't surprise me). In fact, I'm pretty sure Allardyce will be on considerably more than Bilic was, so it's probably only Wilder on less.

I'm not saying £1m p.a. isn't big bucks compared to the average man on the street of course, but it's only fair to compare him to his peers. I'd imagine there are a number of managers in the Championship on more than Potter.

£8m for Bucketman :eek:
£8m for Lampard on the back of 1 year's experience :eek:
£2.75m for that dirge served up by that dinosaur Steve Bruce :eek: :eek: :eek:

I don't think Potter's perfect by any means (though if he can sort out the striker/banjo/barndoor/cow'sbackside issue AND stop sucking air through his teeth before every press conference answer, he pretty much would be), but I think we're incredibly lucky to have a humble, thoughtful, progressive coach on such a (comparatively) low wage.

He isn't just a short-term merchant who will spend big to have a decent run in one season - he's putting in the foundations and philosophy for sustainable building of the squad and subsequent success.

Like it or not, the development of young talent, coached in 'tippy tappy' possession-based football is what you need to do if you want (some of) your young talents to be hoovered up by the big clubs for the big fees you can't turn down, or that you need if you spend a season in the championship.

The only way the club will prosper is by propping up other revenue streams with the occasional sale of talent to a richer (or less prudent) club and that's why we need someone like Potter to bring on the younger talent and/or players from the championship or less obvious leagues overseas.

That's never going to be smooth-sailing, so all in all I think Potter's doing a fine job - I just REALLY hope he can sort out whatever is causing us to miss so many gilt-edged chances.

Wow! Scott Parker 3.5 mil?

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
It just got to show how Fvcked up this circus is and why the premier league clubs are now making huge losses unless they are propped up by wealthy benefactors. And don’t get me started on the leeches(agents)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I wonder if the roughly 25% who voted 'bad' are the same 25% who want either WBA of Fulham to win when they play each other.

I always thought that about 5% of the population are deluded. Perhaps that was an underestimate.

In other news, the best way to lose weight is to eat more
If we had played worse we would of won
Hoof it!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here