Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No excuses from Brighton managers

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
It should be pointed out that little clubs like Palace have succeeded by going into Administration twice.

What they have also done is developed talent through an academy which has allowed them to survive (just) in the Championship for god knows how long, building a squad of players that know how to play in this division. We have been in the championship for 2 years.

To demand instant success just because we get twice the crowds they get, is the sort of mind set that will make us bankrupt. No matter how much we hate them and how much they have screwed people over financially, they have been miles ahead of us for years and there is no denying that.

We are slowly catching up and we will overtake them in time - patience is required here.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Get real.. Having 30,000 through the turnstiles means nothing... Look at other clubs in the Championship: Leeds, Forest, Sheff Wed, Ipswich, Leicester, Bolton, Derby, Birmingham, Middlesboro - these are big clubs with large fan bases - Large crowds or lots of money are no guarantee of success. How long our fan base will stay at its present level is anyone's guess, but it's not going to last forever. Palace struck lucky - the playoffs are a lottery. Poyet began to create a solid squad structure, and that is why we were successful this year. What will happen next season? Who knows? What players will remain? What players will be sold? Who knows? Will the squad click together or fall apart? Who knows? That's football... we'll just have to wait and see. What effect will the new financial rules have, now that we are over the maximum debt level? Who knows?

middlesboro??? hehe

Feb 14, 2010
oh please stop telling me what i do or dont know...i'm not going to get into who has been to more matches and whos got the biggest dick...but to justify your argument by going back to the third division south just made me laugh...the other poster made a very valid comment about other clubs having a large fan base as well..i bet they are saying that they deserve to be promoted...sorry but you make is sound too black and white ..which football isn't ..follow?

I follow and those other sides have had success (which in part explains their support). Brighton have not had success but still get 8000 to 10000 more than Leeds. Time to change the mentality. We expect. Follow?

ofco8

May 18, 2007
Brighton
If a club like Palace who struggle to get 14000/15000 to pay to watch them can get promoted then as fans of a club who can get 30000 through the door without much difficulty then we should not take any excuses from our managers. Poyet came close but fell short. If Poyet goes then the next manager should be greeted with a roar of expectation, and he will have to be big enough to deal with that in my opinion. Excuses wont wash anymore. This club should never be below clubs with the fan base of Palace and Wigan. I hope Bloom is hurting today and that he comes back with a real anger and desire. I hope that is then drilled into the next manager and all the " we are so lucky to have Poyet" mentality is consigned to history. Brighton should in my view start to expect and require, not ask and hope.

Can't disagree with this.

Bra

Feb 21, 2009
patcham
Tend to agree with the op. We are no longer a small team punching above our weight but a larger sized championship club pushing upwards. Poyet did well but look at his team. Polish international keeper, la liga stars, ex england defenders, two 2.5million strikers, buckley, bridcutt. Play off was not a miracle pulled off against the odds but poyet and his plucky team, although he might want you to believe that, but what I expected at the start. The new manager will have the bulk of that team, I hope be realises the opportunity in front of him, poyet did not.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
Get real.. Having 30,000 through the turnstiles means nothing... Look at other clubs in the Championship: Leeds, Forest, Sheff Wed, Ipswich, Leicester, Bolton, Derby, Birmingham, Middlesboro - these are big clubs with large fan bases - Large crowds or lots of money are no guarantee of success. How long our fan base will stay at its present level is anyone's guess, but it's not going to last forever. Palace struck lucky - the playoffs are a lottery. Poyet began to create a solid squad structure, and that is why we were successful this year. What will happen next season? Who knows? What players will remain? What players will be sold? Who knows? Will the squad click together or fall apart? Who knows? That's football... we'll just have to wait and see. What effect will the new financial rules have, now that we are over the maximum debt level? Who knows?

I totally agree
Palace took a chance they gambled and won, maybe with a little help from us but they gambled they won't care about trying to find money or keep the manager happy.
maybe we should have taken that chance and maybe we would have won and maybe we would not be worrying about how much we spend on players and fee's.
I just hope that whoever comes in tries to continue seamlessly otherwise if we have to start again we might wish we had taken that chance

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I think palace have exploited the very poor quality in the championship this season. Hull and Cardiff hardly ooze quality, hull in fact look exceptionally ordinary. The relegated teams this year SHOULD have done much better. Wolves have a massive fan base and sold £23m worth of players in the summer. Bolton's squad was largely premier league quality, as was blackburn's. these clubs, and the relegated clubs this season will all do better. We've ****ed up our chance in my opinion. We will be in this league for a few more years, at least until revenue from the stadium really starts putting us into the higher end of the table for budgets. I'm not expecting a top 6 finish next season.

Not sure you can make any prediction about next season when so much is up in the air?

Feb 14, 2010
Not sure you can make any prediction about next season when so much is up in the air?

I predict we will again have the biggest support in the division and bigger than a third of the Premier League. I also predict that our next manager will not understand that as such this club expects success, whether he likes it or not.

Meade's Ball

Jul 7, 2003
Hither (sometimes Thither)
I am not going to look at one season of sudden big crowds as a sign that we are automatically destined for promotion. That's a ridiculous formula. Finishing 4th with a squad of thoroughly believing misfits and a few forgotten heroes was amazing, but it doesn't mean that can be so easily repeated. It's not impossible at all, but we're a team to be rather rebuilt once someone turns up and a player or two can't help but depart for finer pastures. Then, we have to hope again, and add to that that we glitter enough around our reformed spine to keep some of the newbies.

Feb 14, 2010
I am not going to look at one season of sudden big crowds as a sign that we are automatically destined for promotion. That's a ridiculous formula. Finishing 4th with a squad of thoroughly believing misfits and a few forgotten heroes was amazing, but it doesn't mean that can be so easily repeated. It's not impossible at all, but we're a team to be rather rebuilt once someone turns up and a player or two can't help but depart for finer pastures. Then, we have to hope again, and add to that that we glitter enough around our reformed spine to keep some of the newbies.

Fo Fcks sake how many excuses have you given for failure again next season. Palace were bankrupt just over a year ago and it didnt stop them. When you have the biggest support in the division then you expect require and demand, not ask politely.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Fo Fcks sake how many excuses have you given for failure again next season. Palace were bankrupt just over a year ago and it didnt stop them. When you have the biggest support in the division then you expect require and demand, not ask politely.

Palace have a fantastic youth system, which we can't compete with. They may not have paid huge transfer fees but they have players like Zaha and Williams and I'm sure their wage bill is not far off ours (might even be more). Just because you have the highest crowds does not mean you have the highest budget.

DumLum

Oct 24, 2009
West, West, West Sussex.
If a club like Palace who struggle to get 14000/15000 to pay to watch them can get promoted then as fans of a club who can get 30000 through the door without much difficulty then we should not take any excuses from our managers. Poyet came close but fell short. If Poyet goes then the next manager should be greeted with a roar of expectation, and he will have to be big enough to deal with that in my opinion. Excuses wont wash anymore. This club should never be below clubs with the fan base of Palace and Wigan. I hope Bloom is hurting today and that he comes back with a real anger and desire. I hope that is then drilled into the next manager and all the " we are so lucky to have Poyet" mentality is consigned to history. Brighton should in my view start to expect and require, not ask and hope.
This
I agree with all except the comment about Tony Bloom. That bit is out of order, as there can be no doubting his passion for our Club.
But this.

Feb 14, 2010
Palace have a fantastic youth system, which we can't compete with. They may not have paid huge transfer fees but they have players like Zaha and Williams and I'm sure their wage bill is not far off ours (might even be more). Just because you have the highest crowds does not mean you have the highest budget.

And the excuse for the last 100 years has been? I'm sorry but its time for a mentality change. Brighton get 10000 more than Leeds, so lets start demanding that our managers start to understand that.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
When you have the biggest support in the division then you expect require and demand, not ask politely.

The suspended manager's absurd sense of ENTITLEMENT to a top Premier League job put paid to that. Anybody normal manager would have thrown heart and soul into the task of making the Albion manager's job that top Premier League job instead of regarding it as some shabby temporary fill-in of a job til he got the job he thinks is his by right. What a delusional wanker.

Feb 14, 2010
This is the sort of attitude that leads to clubs doing a Portsmouth and getting into financial trouble.

No its not, its the sort of attitude that sits a manager down and gives him a kick up the arse when he sends his players out to cuddle scousers and kicks him even harder when its clear that he has not worked out the size of the job in front of him. 10,000 more than Leeds and we have never won fook all (well except a Charity Shield in 1910). Its a fooking disgraceful record.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
We've just dodged 38 weeks of watching Sunderland or Wigan -- while simultaneously being the next Sunderland or Wigan -- only with better pies and beer.

Palace are welcome to the experience...

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
No its not, its the sort of attitude that sits a manager down and gives him a kick up the arse when he sends his players out to cuddle scousers and kicks him even harder when its clear that he has not worked out the size of the job in front of him. 10,000 more than Leeds and we have never won fook all (well except a Charity Shield in 1910). Its a fooking disgraceful record.

Where does this 10,000 more than Leeds come from? Our average attendance at the Amex is just over 23,000, Leeds' attendance in the past two seasons is about 22,500. And we're talking historical records then Leeds is considerably higher than ours,

You do seem to advocating spending money that we haven't got. We get respectable gates but if you look at the past four or five years, we're not in the top half of the division. We also don't have the benefit of parachute payments and, as others have pointed out, we haven't gone in administration and shafted our creditors. I really don't think spending silly money is the way forward, we made an £8m loss last year and I see no reason to add to it. Spending sensibly is the way forward not doing a Pompey.

I really think people are getting carried away. We did respectably last season - we punched above our weight in finishing fourth: we certainly didn't have the fourth biggest wage bill, but lost out in a one-off match, partly because our manager was out-thought by his opposite number.

Gus had his good points and his bad points but let's not forget that he took us from the bottom of the third to the top of the second. He ultimately failed but I prefer to see him as the Peter Taylor to Alan Mullery, or Brian Horton to Mickey Adams (Mrk 1), paving the way for something better.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here