Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] No criticism of RDZ ?

willalbion

May 8, 2006
London
Can't see RDZ winning leagues and trophies elsewhere with the all out attacking philosophy, it's fun but it's just too ambitious even with a squad like man city's.

Look at the trophy winning managers in football , mourinho , ancelotti , unai emery even pep they are pragmatists you need to attack well and defend well at times you need to mix things up when the time arrives.

Big and interesting season for RDZ.
I remember hearing Nikki Bandini describing RDZ when he first arrived at the Albion, she said his teams are a lot of fun, they score loads and concede lots. Sounds about right. Can’t see him changing his approach much. I’d be interested how much his tactics have altered from Sassola (spelling) to Shaktar to us. Any idea?

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Our GD was about 20 better last season than the previous one and we were about mid-table on goals conceded.
Goal difference is not the correct measure here. We conceded a dozen-ish goals more than the season before De Zerbi and conceded less is one of the Hughton seasons where we were battling relegation. To have a worse defensive record than then is a little worrying.
So far the attacking side of things has compensated, but if that stumbles it could get bad.
Similar to Leeds (although not as pronounced as them). Once they lost the goals they were destroyed game by game.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Criticism? Absolutely not. As others have said, risk / reward etc.

It is fantastic how he has these players doing things they would never have dreamt of before. Clearly, they are learning from him.

Are there things he can learn? Yes.

I think he needs to develop some pragmatism. He needs to let players know that, maybe one time in 1,000 rowZ is necessary. Webster should have taken that option IMO, If teams think we are always going to opt for the fanny about option, then we become predictable.

Credit where it is due, Moyes did his homework and also purchased our Kryptonite (JWP).

I think he needs to allow players to adapt on the pitch more. There will be the odd occasion when being more direct can pay off, yesterday was an example.
Spot on. Just before the first goal we attacked down the right and the WH defender hoofed it almost into the upper tier of the WS……..we remarked that ‘we don’t do that, even if it’s the right option’. It was the right option for Webster

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Goal difference is not the correct measure here. We conceded a dozen-ish goals more than the season before De Zerbi and conceded less is one of the Hughton seasons where we were battling relegation. To have a worse defensive record than then is a little worrying.
So far the attacking side of things has compensated, but if that stumbles it could get bad.
Similar to Leeds (although not as pronounced as them). Once they lost the goals they were destroyed game by game.
Goal diff = points difference usually. I’d much rather watch us now, even when we lose, than under Hughton.

American Seagle

Jun 14, 2022
Goal diff = points difference usually. I’d much rather watch us now, even when we lose, than under Hughton.
I am not comparing watchability. I agree we are far better to watch now. All I am saying is defense seems to be a weakness of De Zerbi. His style also seems to really require a couple of athletic defense mids to really work well. We are currently lacking that.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The Athletic and that website are stating, what many said here in April, also cut n pasting articles a few years ago on how to beat Liverpool.

A mass low block, don’t press Dunk & our goalie, wait for the mistake to counter. Plus our awful right side without Veltman. Now with a load of slow players.

And we don’t get paid for it!

Last edited:

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
There is clearly a way to beat us convincedly and I thought before the game yesterday that Moyes would do a job on us.

However the reality is, not all teams are capable of doing that so it's swings and roundabouts.
Slightly worringyly though 4 out of the last 12 teams we've faced have smashed us and 3 of these are forest , Everton and ham !! At least with 2 of those we can't blame a lack of maccer and caicedo.

Birdie Boy

Jun 17, 2011
Does it tell you we’ve not been behind at half-time very often?

It might be telling or it might not be.

I’d need to know how often teams come from behind at half-time across a decent timeframe in the Premier League and then how many times we’ve been behind at half-time under De Zerbi.

The latter has to be quite a small sample size.
That is a good point, maybe we have failed to comeback only twice, i'm not sure. Tbh, we did give it a good go, just a shame the goalie was on form and the ref and var weren't.

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
This guy has delivered our highest ever league position and got us into Europe. Now we lose one match and the criticism starts .
You may be right . I expect he can see that now , but so what ?
We all know we are not going to win the league but the football is fun, the players are brilliant…. Let’s enjoy it and on to the next match..

Swimboy64

Oct 19, 2022
I think the whole game changed when Benrahma came on and that’s when the threat came on the right and we never really got to grips with it

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Antonio had Webster on toast.
You are very pro-Veltman and anti-Webster. This is a good moment for such a position. Antonio's strength is running, using his body and being a pest. Webster was left on his own to deal with this; Dunk wouldn't be left one-on-one with Antonio because he's too slow. This is a feature of the way we play.
I'm a fan of Webster, and Veltman. I recognise that the first goal was all on Webster (it was his pass that JWP cut out before launching that ball into the channel, and then he should have put the ball out for a throw), and the third was a bad mistake by Pervis followed by Antonio having Webster on toast, although he was left on his own to deal with it. Again.
If Veltman had started, pretty sure he'd still be 70 yards up the pitch, because that's how he's been instructed to play. In short, Webster made some glaring errors that got punished, Pervis made two that has gone unnoticed, we have some problems down the right side of our defence, and we're short of some bite and legs in DCM.
We got beaten, and will get beaten. Key is not to overreact. I doubt RDZ will. There's a reason why we haven't lost two in a row under him.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
RDZ can only make do with what he has at his disposal. A major issue is not replacing Mac, Caceido or more distantly Mwepo with suitable replacements. Midfield is now far weaker hence the defence now being left exposed by any pace

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
RDZ can only make do with what he has at his disposal. A major issue is not replacing Mac, Caceido or more distantly Mwepo with suitable replacements. Midfield is now far weaker hence the defence now being left exposed by any pace
Veltman is at his disposal, Pedro and JPVH also if he had replaced Webster with JPVH, Milner for Veltman and Welbeck for Pedro at half time we are back in the game.
Ridiculous line up after Wolves yes we won although also badly exposed down the right and he did naff all about it and then wonders why we are 3-0 down.
Love Roberto although he badly slipped up Saturday, i think he’s stubborn may be to stubborn at times.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Oh what fun we’ll have on here if Newcastle turn us over!

Probably be a good time for me to retire from NSC as I am getting very close to going second in the NSC total posts made :down:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
You are very pro-Veltman and anti-Webster. This is a good moment for such a position. Antonio's strength is running, using his body and being a pest. Webster was left on his own to deal with this; Dunk wouldn't be left one-on-one with Antonio because he's too slow. This is a feature of the way we play.I'm a fan of Webster, and Veltman. I recognise that the first goal was all on Webster (it was his pass that JWP cut out before launch the channel, and then he should have put the ball out for a throw.

I'm a fan of Webster, and Veltman. I recognise that the first goal was all on Webster (it was his pass that JWP cut out before launching that ball into the channel, and then he should have put the ball out for a throw), and the third was a bad mistake by Pervis followed by Antonio having Webster on toast, although he was left on his own to deal with it. Again.

If Veltman had started, pretty sure he'd still be 70 yards up the pitch, because that's how he's been instructed to play. In short, Webster made some glaring errors that got punished, Pervis made two that has gone unnoticed, we have some problems down the right side of our defence, and we're short of some bite and legs in DCM.
We got beaten, and will get beaten. Key is not to overreact. I doubt RDZ will. There's a reason why we haven't lost two in a row under him.

An issue, expertly exploited by Moyes, is that Milner is far further upfield than Veltman last season. Here are heat maps for Veltman last season, Milner this. It’s obvious to the eye in the stadium. Veltman often seems to be positioned near the home dugout when we play N to S. Milner obviously would have less pace to recover.

We don’t know the reason why. RDZ instructions to Milner, RDZ has upped the risk element to balance losing a world class centre midfield, savvy opposition coaches copying the Dyche tactics board of suckering us in for the counter, players not adhering to instructions?

I’m not doom n gloom about the season. My only tactical/personnel aspiration is for Veltman or another career prime RB to start and that we find a quality 6 to start games.

IMG_1421.png
IMG_1417.png

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here