Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] No Budget thread?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Sunak has borrowed as much in one year as McDonnell would have borrowed in five. And yes, Covid would have meant that they'd have to borrow more but the point is that's not necessarily financially crippling for countries to borrow money,

this remains to be seen. it always has been in the past, impacting investment and growth. the mantra is we ahve low interest rates so it doesnt matter. trouble is how does it work out if and when interest rates rise.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
It’s supposed to be an area where normal customs and taxes don’t apply.
Sounds ideal for money laundering imo.

So if i have a load of dodgy items I choose a free-port to ship them through into the UK?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
So if i have a load of dodgy items I choose a free-port to ship them through into the UK?

not really. the "border" with checks and customs moves from the quayside to a boundary further away.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Sunak has borrowed as much in one year as McDonnell would have borrowed in five. And yes, Covid would have meant that they'd have to borrow more but the point is that's not necessarily financially crippling for countries to borrow money,

There is a big difference in borrowing to fill a sudden demand deficit (from Covid) and borrowing in ‘normal’ times. Huge difference in inflationary impact for a start. Doesn’t mean McDonnell was wrong, it’s just that you are not comparing like with like.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
not really. the "border" with checks and customs moves from the quayside to a boundary further away.
The reason nearly all free ports were closed is because they made it easier for terrorism and tax avoidance to go unnoticed.

Do we really want this strategy on our shores?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
The reason nearly all free ports were closed is because they made it easier for terrorism and tax avoidance to go unnoticed.

Do we really want this strategy on our shores?

sounds like a matter of implementation and policing. whether we want it depends on the format of the free port. if its a simply an extended boundary seems pretty pointless. if its about having an industrial zone for manufacturing without tariffs, seems a promising idea.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

So, just suppose Dover was chosen as a Freeport.....can you give some examples of where this new border might be?

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Isn't the idea that you put them in deprived areas to stimulate the local economy?

I've no idea if they're a good idea or not, but surely there must be a working example somewhere in the world otherwise governments wouldn't keep trying the format :shrug:
.....or maybe they would :facepalm:

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
So, just suppose Dover was chosen as a Freeport.....can you give some examples of where this new border might be?

i dont expect that would work due to the nature of the traffic. somewhere like Felixstow or Tilbury is more suitable, Humberside and Teeside have been mentioned.

Isn't the idea that you put them in deprived areas to stimulate the local economy?

I've no idea if they're a good idea or not, but surely there must be a working example somewhere in the world otherwise governments wouldn't keep trying the format :shrug:
.....or maybe they would :facepalm:

many in far east, notably Shenzhen. bit different starting point but did rather well.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i dont expect that would work due to the nature of the traffic. somewhere like Felixstow or Tilbury is more suitable, Humberside and Teeside have been mentioned.

I’m not getting what you mean. Say Tilbury, where will the customs be? In land? In the sea?

beorhthelm

Jul 21, 2003
Forgive my utter ignorance of government finance:), but when HMG borrows £350bn but how do we borrow the money from?

pensions, investment funds, businesses, foreign investors.

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
Forgive my utter ignorance of government finance:), but when HMG borrows £350bn but how do we borrow the money from?

pensions, investment funds, businesses, foreign investors.

Via the bond market. The Government sells bonds to investors to raise cash and pays interest to the buyers. It’s just another way of borrowing money and paying interest. The rate will be lower than in most of the corporate bond market as the risk of Government default is lower. Bond buyers will be attracted by the overall risk reduction.

You, Me, Our children, and possibly, our children's children. Sorry :down:

Not really. How else do you expect pension funds etc to invest our money ? They will likely increase the value of funds under management from a hedged bond portfolio.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here