Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No black footballers in England All-time Greats DVD

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
No Viv Anderson or Des Walker?

Viv Anderson was mustard, dunno about Des Walker though. Wright might be worthy of mention too, and that Defoe plays really well.

The jury is still out on Campbell as he has 'mares as well as stellar performances. I can't remember Anderson putting a foot wrong - but having said that, the game has changed a lot, and comparing players from one era to another seems incongruous.

Would Stanley Mathews do well now? George Best, Gordon Banks and Pele would be excellent in any era. (not exclusively talking about English players now of course)

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
That's terrible, no Tony Daley :jester:

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
There wouldn't be any black players in my top 17 either. But that is just my opinion, based on ability only.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
Pearce was the Charlie Oatway of the England set-up, limited ability but wore his heart on his sleeve always put in maximum effort, and liked kicking people. How Viv Anderson and Des Walker were worse defenders beats me. But then again I'd rather watch Leon Knight than Adam Virgo.

chez

Johnny Byrne-The Greatest
Jul 5, 2003
Wherever The Mood Takes Me
Tough, if they're not good enough they have no right to be there. It doesnt matter if they're Black, White, Yellow or Purple. We dont want to go down the same road as the South African Cricket Association where they are not ALLOWED to pick an all white team regardless of whether or not they are the best 11 cricketers in the country. Anyway I cant think of a "non white" player who should feature in a greatest ever 17.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
This is a very good example of what there's been a bit of a 'minor altercation' about over on the PC brigade thread.

A couple of papers put Henry and Ferdinand on the back page saying it's disgraceful there are no black players on the DVD. They should have known better, that is the worst type of irresponsible 'chip on the shoulder' attitude.

John Barnes SHOULD have been in it - but he wasted his talent in many ineffective displays for his country. Anderson never quite shook off Phil Neal at right-back, Walker wasn't a great. Simply, there are no black players in the top 17, probably not the top 30.

Soemone like Rio, instead of stirring up trouble, should go away and make damn sure he's on the next one, because he is class.

Gerrard is in because he's a star now and it will sell more. Simple as.

Last edited:

GUNTER

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton
Barnes had about three good games for England. I cannot think of one black player who had a right to be in it just because they were black.

Would you pick Ian Wright over Lineker
Sol Campbell over Bobby Moore
Rio Ferdinand over Terry Butcher.

..thought not.

John Barnes was good enough but hardly ever showed it for England.

Based on ABILITY not COLOUR the DVD should be allowed to be released.

These PC lot make my blood boil.

CHAPPERS

DISCO SPENG
Jul 5, 2003
Barnes should be in there purely for that goal he scored against Brazil. Other than that I can't think of any Black players that have done enough to make it.

Maybe Big Les, just because.

Uncle Buck

Ghost Writer
Jul 7, 2003
ChapmansThe Saviour said:
Barnes should be in there purely for that goal he scored against Brazil. Other than that I can't think of any Black players that have done enough to make it.

Maybe Big Les, just because.

Barnes to me should not be in it as he performances in an England shirt were poor as a rule. Des Walker, well he was fantastic in Italia 90, but went to seed once he moved to Sampdoria.

Oct 5, 2003
as i always said Edgar fav paper a great read the Daily Mail full of common sense :clap:

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
I think this is a little bit of PC going crazy. As the list seems to avoid the current squad I think it is only John Barnes possibly pushing for a place, maybe with Paul Ince as an outside bet.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here