Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

No action against Rio Ferdinand, despite sarcastically clapping in referee's face

Seagull on the wing

Sep 22, 2010
Hailsham
Indeed. They definitely showed him shaking hands with all the officials after so I imagine he has apologised then.

Uefa, though often FAR from sensible, know it's not worth adding to the whole saga by handing out fines.
He might have apologised but he has been in the game long enough not to be a prat in the first placeas soon as he done it the ref should have sent him off for disrespect...

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Really?

I recall driving past a primary school a day or so after Eric Cantona's famous drop kick at Smelhurst.
The playground was full of little boys practicing Kung Fu kicks on their playmates.
There were so many doing it, it actually looked quite amusing and I stayed to watch for a few seconds, but the more serious point was how quickly the Cantona incident was being copied by little 9,10,11 year olds.

If you don't think that this coming weekend some 'clever' little kids will be sarcastically applauding referees in their junior footy games for a bad decision, then you must live in a bubble.

And that is the point that Pro Footballers like Mr Ferdinand seem to miss. They do not live in a bubble, they very much live in a goldfish bowl where every single action is scrutinised and frequently copied by little lads who aspire to be like them.

Ferdinand's actions were not justified.
He was being a twat of the highest order and he very much deserved punishment.

Absolutely spot on - particularly the last paragraph. However stupid a decision might be (and i think the ref was right), the players should just put up and shut up.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
Have to disagree there Cheeky. It was a dangerous and foolhardy challenge. If someone attacked Ulloa like that I'd certainly want him sent off.

But it wasn't a challenge was it. It was an attempt at bringing the ball down in the air which happens about 25 times every game when the ball goes over someone's head and they turn to control it. How exactly did you expect Nani to try and get possession of that ball?

The resultant collision was unfortunate but a complete accident. Ozil was right there and his reaction to the red said it all.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Absolutely spot on - particularly the last paragraph. However stupid a decision might be (and i think the ref was right), the players should just put up and shut up.

No offence mate, but your post stinks of someone who's never played football???

Marxo

Aug 7, 2011
Ghent, Belgium
But it wasn't a challenge was it. It was an attempt at bringing the ball down in the air which happens about 25 times every game when the ball goes over someone's head and they turn to control it. How exactly did you expect Nani to try and get possession of that ball?

The resultant collision was unfortunate but a complete accident. Ozil was right there and his reaction to the red said it all.

If you don't hate ManU then this is a reasonable statement, I've seen Dutch and Belgian TV and read the English version of the Spanish Marca and they all agree with you.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne

I think we'll never agree on this one. Nani was not aware of the players around him, his foot was extremely high and was therefore dangerous. I do not believe there was ANY intent on his part, it was not malicious. BUT, I think it was dangerous and not the sort of challenge one wants in a match. I don't agree that we see that kind of challenge 25 times a game. Watch our next match, you'll be lucky to see one or two.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
I think we'll never agree on this one. Nani was not aware of the players around him, his foot was extremely high and was therefore dangerous. I do not believe there was ANY intent on his part, it was not malicious. BUT, I think it was dangerous and not the sort of challenge one wants in a match. I don't agree that we see that kind of challenge 25 times a game. Watch our next match, you'll be lucky to see one or two.

I'm not saying that kind of challenge happens 25 times a game, I'm saying the act of trying to bring the ball down out of the air when its gone over your shoulder or head does.

If you've played football you should know that is what every player does in that situation. So according to that ref, every player would deserve a red if someone comes in with a challenge when the player is not expecting a challenge like that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here