"nil - nil" or "nil all"?

• nil - nil

Votes: 235 95.1%
  • nil all

Votes: 12 4.9%

• Total voters

Oh_aye

Jul 8, 2022
I have heard this twice over the last couple of days. Is it normal? Does anyone else every say "nil all" when referring to a 0-0 scoreline or, like me, would you say "nil nil" ?
I've heard it. But it's obviously wrong.

Peacehaven Wild Kids

Jan 16, 2022
The Avenue then Maloncho
Does anyone remember the Minder episode where Terry looks after professional footballer Jacko from Brush Strokes? He (Jacko) referred to a one nil win as “winning one - plonk”

My wife still hasn’t forgiven me for putting a kitchen chair through the TV screen.

nickbrighton

Feb 19, 2016
But what does winningest mean? And is there a losingest? Or even a drawingest?
I first came across "winningest" in a book i was reading on Kindle. The sentance was something like " and he is the most winningest coach in high school history" meaning he had won more matches than anyone else. I used the dictonary to check that it was a word, and indeed it came up as "informal Noth American:having achieved the most success in a competion"

Absoulte crime against the English language if you ask me, one in a long list that includes "Welp" which is a particular nasty made up word that our American cousins seem to think is acceptable

Garyoldfan

Jun 14, 2023
I’ve not come across ‘welp’ but were somebody in my presence to say ‘winningest’ without a sense of irony attached to it, I would have to attack them verbally or physically. It’s just awful.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
Does anyone remember the Minder episode where Terry looks after professional footballer Jacko from Brush Strokes? He (Jacko) referred to a one nil win as “winning one - plonk”

My wife still hasn’t forgiven me for putting a kitchen chair through the TV screen.
I'd have sent Jacko the bill.

Coxovi

NSC Patron
Nov 5, 2011
Suisse
I thought nil all was american, I have also noticed roster is creeping in more and more.
This is not american, I had never heard a sports score referred to as "nil" before moving to Brighton. As another poster said I initially thought "Nil all" was a euphamism for F*** all, not a scoreline.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
Nil-Nil
Goalless
No Score
Bore Draw
None Each
But not, Nil All.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here