Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nightmare

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
You do not know how to change a wheel you should be ashamed of yourself , i did not think any one was that thick

It's not a case of being thick, it's a case of not being educated... And I wouldn't be surprised if well over half of the drivers on the road dont know how to do it.

Great thread tho, glad I stayed in Devon.

tedebear

Legal Alien
Jul 7, 2003
In my computer
Did you make it to the game?

Frankly the passenger side wheel is a doddle. Really should have changed it yourselves. I would have and I'm female! My husband would have disowned me if I didn't!

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
2 drivers in a car with a puncture and neither of them can sort it out without assistance from a nice man from the AA??? that is bad!

It's not about being educated.... It's about simple common sense if you ask me!

Sometimes you just have to get on FFS! Yes or no?

Steveapps71

May 9, 2011
Brighton land
2 drivers in a car with a puncture and neither of them can sort it out without assistance from a nice man from the AA??? that is bad!

It's not about being educated.... It's about simple common sense if you ask me!

Sometimes you just have to get on FFS! Yes or no?

Ah bless he pulled out the I'm only 17 excuse, u could have googled
It and done it in 10 mins, ah well hope u made it to the game

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
When I changed the wheel on Russ's car the nuts had to be sprayed with WD40 and left overnight but still needed the trick of jumping on the wrench to loosen them.

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
When I changed the wheel on Russ's car the nuts had to be sprayed with WD40 and left overnight but still needed the trick of jumping on the wrench to loosen them.

Probably took all night to realise that they undo the opposite way!

Just for future info... If the car that you drive says it's automatic, it still means that someone has to be behind the wheel to steer it!

surrey jim

Not in Surrey
Aug 2, 2005
Bevendean
To be fair he did say his dad was able to change the wheel but chose not to as it was on the hard shoulder. I have never been in that situation but it would be quite a scary prospect for anyone changing a wheel with no protection from cars and lorries only feet away traveling upto 100mph.

On a side note you can also now get cans of puncture repair foam. Just spray in the wheel and enables you to drive to somewhere safe to get the wheel repaired. My car does not even have a spare wheel just a can of said foam.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Probably took all night to realise that they undo the opposite way!

Just for future info... If the car that you drive says it's automatic, it still means that someone has to be behind the wheel to steer it!

I reckon the garage had used a pneumatic to tighten the nuts up in the first place which made it so f***ing difficult to un-tighten :lolol:

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
Well what a waste of time that journey was. And for those of you saying I should have done it, the repair bloke used a hydraulic lift to raise the car and then some powerful electric drill to take the screws out as it wasn't possible to remove them manually. Apart from that, yes I could have done it :shrug:

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes
Well what a waste of time that journey was. And for those of you saying I should have done it, the repair bloke used a hydraulic lift to raise the car and then some powerful electric drill to take the screws out as it wasn't possible to remove them manually. Apart from that, yes I could have done it :shrug:

You have much to learn young man.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
You have much to learn young man.

Teach_Me_logo_gif.gif

Muzzy

Jan 25, 2011
Lewes

If you care to travel to my neck of the woods (Lewes) I will happily teach you how to change a wheel... I have no problem with doing that... It would take about 10 mins of my time! You would be most welcome if it helps you mate. BTW I am no mechanical expert but changing a wheel does not fall into that category IMO!

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
Loosen wheelnuts before jacking up the car.

Remove wheelnuts. Remove wheel.

Put on spare. Do up wheelnuts.

Lower car. Tighten wheelnuts.

Job done. Seriously, I cannot believe anyone could be incapable of doing that. I'd die of embarrassment calling out an AA guy for that.

HAILSHAM SEAGULL

Nov 9, 2009
deleted

---

AnotherArch

Northern Exile
Apr 2, 2009
Stockport & M62
Loosen wheelnuts before jacking up the car.

Remove wheelnuts. Remove wheel.

Put on spare. Do up wheelnuts.

Lower car. Tighten wheelnuts.

Job done. Seriously, I cannot believe anyone could be incapable of doing that. I'd die of embarrassment calling out an AA guy for that.

The advantage of experience is that you can add much flesh to these bones. How many times have a few lines in Haynes manual seemed so simple but an hour later you are still struggling?
The extras:
You have to stand on the normal wrench supplied - fact. The pneumatic tools that are used to fit the nuts are torque-controlled, but the wrench still need standing on to free them.
Work out how the jack works. Fit the jack in the designated area or, if not apparent, a firm part of the chassis (NOT underneath the floor or suspension, where both could be easily damaged). The first few turns of the jack thread under load are the worst.
When tightening up nuts, work on each one a turn at a time, with the sequence being diametrically opposite ones as far as possible.

At least they weren't locking wheel nuts which is the normal need for the AA.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
I am a GIRL and i've changed wheels many a time, the most recently on the car of a (male) friend with whom I was travelling as a passenger. He wanted to call the AA but I was RIGHT on it...well once he'd worked out where he'd left the locking wheel nut key.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here