Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nigel Lawson to lead campaign to leave EU.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
"level headed and sensible " says the bloke who believes in an invisible man in the sky

sorry couldnt resist.

Who says he's a man, and who says he's in the Sky. She's a vengeful God and she's coming to get you!

And the above sentence is fairly tongue in cheek.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
He lives in France not far from me. I see him regularly on Easy Jet from Toulouse to Gatwick he's a drooling eejet who should be traveling with his carer. Sadly I've never managed to sit next to him and remind him of what a c**t he was and still is.

Apparently, he thinks highly of you, as well.

BigGully

Sep 8, 2006
... And he also pushed inflation up to 8 per cent and interest rates to 15 per cent.

I was in a fledgling business at the time and as I remember it, it was Lamont who was shadowing the Deutsch Mark in the Exchange Rate Mechanism, a precursor to the Euro.

It was unsustainable and more of a comment on the Euro and the EU than Lawson or Lamont.

Last edited:

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
That was Norman lamont.

I think that Lord B was referring to the fact that it was Lawson who established the principle of sterling shadowing the German Mark (against Thatcher's wishes) and it was this approach that was later revived by his friend John Major when, as Prime Minister, he joined the Exchange Rate Mechanism - because Major joined the ERM at an inappropriate rate the eventual outcome was that his chancellor, Norman Lamont, felt he had to raise interest rates to 15%. Lamont was at the controls when disaster happened but Lawson had established the direction.

You can blame the ERM for the debacle, or you can blame the late and cack-handed way the UK joined it. Lawson, understandably, blamed the ERM and began a journey that saw him become a latter-day Eurosceptic.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Mind you - he's got an ace down his trouser leg .....

timthumb.php.jpeg

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
I doubt it matters much who leads either campaign, there will be much mud slinging, scaremongering, name calling on both sides. Meanwhile the public in numerous polls regard immigration as a serious if not their No 1 concern. Recent events involving Syrian (and others) refugees/migrants have highlighted the fact that the EU member states cannot secure their borders adequately or even come up with a coherent response. This added to net immigration at 300K + with no sign of either of these issues being addressed in the near future makes an EU exit very likely. If the public want any British government to actually have the power to control immigration leaving the EU is the obvious answer.

( The PM may be trying to negotiate more border controls, very doubtful he will get anywhere IMO )

https://www.ipsos-mori.com/research...stIpsos-MORI-September-2015-Issues-Index.aspx

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
You know what? There's a country out there that's got such a tight grip on its borders that they've managed to accept not one refugee, despite having large land borders and being easily reachable. The grip on law and order is second to none and they've managed to not only maintain their own culture but also export it despite having a large number of foreign workers in key and skilled occupations. Sounds ideal doesn't it? Form an orderly queue to Saudi Arabia and don't forget your "Lipton's Ice Tea".

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
You know what? There's a country out there that's got such a tight grip on its borders that they've managed to accept not one refugee, despite having large land borders and being easily reachable. The grip on law and order is second to none and they've managed to not only maintain their own culture but also export it despite having a large number of foreign workers in key and skilled occupations. Sounds ideal doesn't it? Form an orderly queue to Saudi Arabia and don't forget your "Lipton's Ice Tea".

It's not just Saudi - I think a number of those lovely Muslim gulf / oil rich states have taken zero.

ferring seagull

Dec 30, 2010
More interestingly can someone start a poll for simply in or out AND is there any way that such a poll could reflect changing opinions - quite an ask ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here