Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nigel Farage MEP v Russell Brand - Question Time BBC1 22:35 *** Official Match Thread ***

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Feel free to copy and paste that excuse for your 'ex labour, formally Miss Ahmed' moment ...it was very good.

Im sorry, I thought you just offered to copy and paste it. Second thoughts?

brighton fella

Mar 20, 2009
The audience has to be hand-picked for Question Time: the BBC is scrupulous about it being balanced. If they just let people apply randomly, then it could be too heavily left or right leaning

There's a bit about audience selection here
http://news.bbc.co.uk/newswatch/ukfs/hi/newsid_4200000/newsid_4202800/4202877.stm

I know someone who was in the audience once and he was rigorously quizzed on his affiliations

& always leaning towards the left, the amount of hysteria coming from the audience was telling enough.

Sweeney Todd

Apr 24, 2008
Oxford/Lancing
Last night's QT came from the Gulbenkian Theatre, on the campus of the University of Kent at Canterbury, my alma mater. I have seen many a play there. It seemed bigger on the television.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
racist never think they are racist..
homophobes rarely realise they are homophobic..
sexist men rarely understand they are sexist..

What about arrogant posters who come up with very simplistic comments about large groups of people. I suppose that they rarely see how arrogant they are, by the same token.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Feel free to copy and paste that excuse for your 'ex labour, formally Miss Ahmed' moment ...it was very good.

Im sorry, I thought you just offered to copy and paste it. Second thoughts?

Seeing as you are asking on two threads now, i shall post the same answer.
Ok, even though you were asking the same question over and over again yesterday between 8am and midday, and i answered your question on numerous occasions then and today. Here is my quote
Soulman
"Ms Bolter, formerly Miss Ahmed, joining the "racist" UKIP party, the party that has many black and Asian candidates.....surely not.
The former Miss Ahmed, telling porkies about her qualifications,.."

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
& always leaning towards the left, the amount of hysteria coming from the audience was telling enough.

Here's that bit again. "The audience has to be hand-picked for Question Time: the BBC is scrupulous about it being balanced. If they just let people apply randomly, then it could be too heavily left or right leaning"

I don't think you understand what balance means. It means that the audience is drawn equally from all sides of the political spectrum, it doesn't mean that everyone speaks or shouts at the same volume.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
I'm sure they would have done... neither had any time for Enoch Powell and the like. They both supported the British values of tolerance, fairness, compassion and openness. They fought against facism.
Sadly many on here have fallen for the far right wing UKIP values of discrimination and segregation.

I see you avoided the question totally, but then that would have conflicted with the bias to admit that a certain Mr Brand might just have let the side down. I can't help but feeling that there is an element of hypocrisy in what you write; you espouse the idea of fairness and tolerance, yet are only too happy, when it suits you, to lash out at "those here who have fallen etc". Obviously they do not have your undoubted vision and intelligence, and of course all folk who vote UKIP, as on here, are far right. 40,000 recently voted for UKIP, rightly or wrongly, in the three recent by-elections - are they all far right? 11.000 of those were largely labour supporters in Rochdale - are they far right? And of course discrimination is always a far right characteristic, isn't it? Even when that snooty woman who looked at the house with a flag -was she far right? Many decent folk intend to vote for UKIP because of their genuine concerns as to the future - labelling them as "far right" wanting segregation, would be quite offensive to them. Please try and avoid sweeping statements.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
hand picked audience by the bbc as per usual.. saying that it wouldn't be the same without one.
fair play to the disabled bloke but hope the vile foul mouthed bitch behind him (purple hair) drops dead.
farage was on a hiding for nothing but remained cool under the circumstances, if anything he needed a bit more aimed venom towards that hypocrite Russell brand..

This hand picked left wing audience thing is such a load of craps.

The disabled guy is apparently the brother of a UKIP MEP

cunning fergus

NSC Patron
Jan 18, 2009
Thank you for proving my point.

Mind you, I did not say he was racist, but that's for another time. I did point out that although he says he is a man of the people and claims to be the only voice for the disenfranchised people of middle England he is in fact no better than any of the other parties. In fact he is quite probably worse.
UKIP is run as Nigel wants because it is Nigel's party and Nigel's ball and woe betide anyone who does not share his policy's. This means only one person is ever trusted enough to represent the " Party " and that's Nigel.

What happened to Carswell and Reckless ? As serving MP's with genuine,if limited, experience in Parliament surely they could do the rounds on tv and radio putting the UKIP ( Nigel's ) point of view? But no, they are wheeled out for the big photo opportunities and then when Nigel has had the soundbites and media coverage he wants they are put back in their boxes.

So what we have is a man who has targeted Europe as being the cause of all our woes who has pulled together the Eurosceptic Tories,what remained of the Referendum Party and people who feel that their party has deserted them in to a big, straining, rubberband ball of contradictions lashed together and held together by Nigel, the ringmaster and CEO of the company.
It's laughable really and in a strange way I would love to see them get in to power as it would be hilarious ,albeit a financial tragedy for the man in the street but great car crash politics. The only trouble with that would be that Nigel would very quickly be out of a job.

Was is your point, I don't think you are making one, there is plenty of prejudice in your invective I will give you that.

Taking one point you have made though, the EU.

Any ideas what is happening in Italy today and why?

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/12482bb6-81d9-11e4-b9d0-00144feabdc0.html?siteedition=uk

How about what is happening in Spain and why they are f***ed...........and for years to come?

http://www.social-europe.eu/2014/04/labour-market-reform/

Or, what about the background of the most powerful man in Europe who incidentally got this job recently without a by-your-leave from the European electorate.

http://www.euractiv.com/sections/eu-priorities-2020/juncker-admits-he-weakened-luxleaks-310704

You may want to bury your head up your arse like some Lidl store Quisling, however the EU is responsible for causing untold suffering and misery in European countries as a consequence of its own incompetence. Those who are really suffering are the working class, yet you are willing ignore this because you don't like Nigel Farage.

By the way, he hasn't taken this country into an illegal war which included the deaths of 1000s of innocents, consigned this country to years of penury because of incompetence, jumped into bed with the banks, signed away sovereignty, let millions of people into the country whilst ignoring the wishes of the British public..........

Your bigotry is making you blind to the facts..............

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Was is your point, I don't think you are making one, there is plenty of prejudice in your invective I will give you that.

http://www.ft.com/cms/s/0/12482bb6-81d9-11e4-b9d0-00144feabdc0.html?siteedition=uk

How about what is happening in Spain and why they are f***ed...........and for years to come?

Or, what about the background of the most powerful man in Europe who incidentally got this job recently without a by-your-leave from the European electorate.

http://www.euractiv.com/sections/eu-priorities-2020/juncker-admits-he-weakened-luxleaks-310704

You may want to bury your head up your arse like some Lidl store Quisling, however the EU is responsible for causing untold suffering and misery in European countries as a consequence of its own incompetence. Those who are really suffering are the working class, yet you are willing ignore this because you don't like Nigel Farage.

By the way, he hasn't taken this country into an illegal war which included the deaths of 1000s of innocents, consigned this country to years of penury because of incompetence, jumped into bed with the banks, signed away sovereignty, let millions of people into the country whilst ignoring the wishes of the British public..........

I don't disagree with much of this - the EU has not been good for ordinary working people but Farage is not in the clear on banks. He has made it plain that he'd be delighted to jump in bed with the banks and would do little to stop their excesses. Indeed, he has called for looser regulation of the banks and lower taxes for bankers.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Calm down dear, or you might bite your own tongue! Hope you enjoyed doing your cut and paste research but I'm cooking dinner just now so I really can't be bothered to look at it all. What I am still trying to say is that Mr Farage is a fraud of the highest order and is no different than the other parties except that for him, UKIP is a business. That's not prejudice, just the facts.

And, by the look of things you seem to know a lot more about bigotry than me.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Calm down dear, or you might bite your own tongue! Hope you enjoyed doing your cut and paste research but I'm cooking dinner just now so I really can't be bothered to look at it all. What I am still trying to say is that Mr Farage is a fraud of the highest order and is no different than the other parties except that for him, UKIP is a business. That's not prejudice, just the facts.

And, by the look of things you seem to know a lot more about bigotry than me.

I assume that this is a joke? How do you get to say that what you have written is fact? Surely that is your opinion? Where is the evidence, to back up a fact, don't forget, that he is a fraud of the highest order?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I assume that this is a joke? How do you get to say that what you have written is fact? Surely that is your opinion? Where is the evidence, to back up a fact, don't forget, that he is a fraud of the highest order?

I assume that this is a joke too ? or, have you falied to read posts by others and myself before replying ?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
It works both ways - the "righties" will use the same old mantras - "student politics" "communism has never worked" and so on

What we need is to have an honest, open debate where people respect and actually consider the opinions and ideas of others.

Immigration is a big problem everywhere, this is typically a right wing concern. Inequality is a big problem everywhere, this is typically a left wing concern... I believe that if we abandon our "sides" we can ultimately all agree on the best ways to solve these very serious problems.

This is a very important point. So often on here, and in the wider world including the house of commons, people just resort to name calling, copy and paste quotations, petty arguments and soundbites trying to get an upper hand to have the appearance of being correct.

In reality with considered debates no one is right or wrong. What needs to happen is that everyone's opinion treated with equal weight.

Sadly I can't see that happening.

portslade seagull

Jul 19, 2003
portslade
Farage is not racist but he is a bell end.

Thought they were all as bad as each other last night just trying to score Brownie points .... Mind you Brand has a really irritating voice almost like he is wearing tight rubber underpants and he was probably the worst on amongst them

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton

No it's not - it is very balanced. Have you ever applied to go on there ? Have you ever spoken to the producer ?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here