Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nicky 'No goals in Nine' Forster

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor
I have said it begore and I will say it again, we play better without Nicky Forster in the team this season.

Three best games: Man City, Leicester, Millwall. No Nicky.

He has, by my reckoning and I may be wrong here, four league goals this season. Half of these were penalties.

He has not scored in the league for NINE matches.

I just think he looks a shadow of the player who was banging the goals in under Wilkins and perhaps the years have finally caught up with him.

He works hard yes. But that is not enough from someone many Brighton fans consider a top marksman for this division.

If Robinson had played nine games without scoring but had worked hard people would be saying that was not good enough.

I would start Murray and Fleetwood next game if all are fit. They actually looked like they linked up quite well against Derby.

Or Murray upfront on his own.

Maybe having Nicky on the bench to come on for 20 minutes at the end might be more suited to him at this stage of his career.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
At Tranmere on Saturday he worked his socks off upfront for an hour, chased every ball, harrassed defenders, had our first decent shot of the match, was the ONLY player willing to go wide and put in some crosses (until Murray came on), hit the post, and in my view could not be faulted.

He did have a SERIOUS moan at Murray at one point, but I think the nature of the bloke is that he is totally committed and is prepared to voice his views.

IMO he is not scoring because we are not creating chances, and with a midfield central duo of Virgo and Bomber that is not surprising.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It is a shame that he and Murray don't seem to be gelling at the moment. And if you have to choose between the two, it's got to be Murray every time. I hope they can work it out.

Lord Large

Keeping the faith
Aug 6, 2008
Out on the floor
I don't doubt his effort.

I just think that in previous games he has got into positions when last season you would have seen him burst away from the defender. This season they are catching him up.

Obviously the shortcomings of our midfield are there for all to see, but Murray has played better upfront on his own.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
I agree with the opening assessment.

He's a worker no doubt about that.

But people were saying before the season that him and Murray were 40 goals a season material between them.

Quite obviously that hasn't come to fruition. Lack of consistent goalscoring has led to us finding ourselves in the bottom 4.

Lot's of things wrong with the team of course, but, I think a striker has to be one of Mickys priority's either in January or close season.

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
At Shrewsbury Forster hardly touched the ball because he had very very few decent crosses. By the time the cross had come into the area the defence had reorganised, had a short break and played a game of scrabble. Forster is good, but he needs a decent service played at the right time.

Mendoza

NSC's Most Stalked
Forster and Murray were good last season because they were having chances created for them.
This season they have to create chances for themselves so it is harder for them to score.
As for Forster, he doesnt seem to be a clinical with his finishing, but I guess it is because he came back from injury too early. But with our lack of options, he had to come back.
I still think he is worth starting, but only if he leaves Murray alone with the beyatching

Its a case of nothing being provided , case in point was one point against Shrewsbury Forster was providing the crosses by working hard down the wing and where he should have been to put it in no one was there .
Both Forster and Murray have been rushed back from injury too quickly and it is a necesssity that we purchase a decent replacement and a decent winger .

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
It's a shame that Ian Westlake is on loan at Cheltenham. He gave us width and created chances last season.

British Bulldog

The great escape
Feb 6, 2006
I seem to recall Forster having spells last season where he was'nt scoring for quite a few games, He even said himself in a radio interview that his goals tend to come in short spells rather than being consistant throughout a season.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
We should have gone for him over Kevin McLeod.

Westy is on £5,000 a week at Leeds, the club that 'can't afford another season in League 1'. We can't match his wages, and he wasn't willing to take a 2/3 pay cut, which you cannot blame him for.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
I agree with the opening assessment.

He's a worker no doubt about that.

But people were saying before the season that him and Murray were 40 goals a season material between them.

Quite obviously that hasn't come to fruition. Lack of consistent goalscoring has led to us finding ourselves in the bottom 4.

Lot's of things wrong with the team of course, but, I think a striker has to be one of Mickys priority's either in January or close season.

Murray has 11 goals and Forster 7, so thats 18 between them about half way through the season! (14 league and 4 cup goals)

Forster has played 18 games and 3 as sub. Murray 21 games and 2 as sub, so Murray scoring every other game and Forster about 1 in 3.

Our problem is midfield or lack of it rather than the forwards.

Seagull's Return

Nov 7, 2003
Brighton
Murray has 11 goals and Forster 7, so thats 18 between them about half way through the season! (14 league and 4 cup goals)

Forster has played 18 games and 3 as sub. Murray 21 games and 2 as sub, so Murray scoring every other game and Forster about 1 in 3.

Our problem is midfield or lack of it rather than the forwards.

Got to agree - I think that in order to fulfill their genuine potential both Forster and Murray need decent service from the midfield, which seems to be a bit of a problem at the moment.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
It's a shame that Ian Westlake is on loan at Cheltenham. He gave us width and created chances last season.

but obviously our world class assistant managers and coaches didnt think so or I am sure he would be down here now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here