Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nicky Forster - new contract ASAP!!

User Removed

Oct 21, 2005
Brighton
Title says it all really.

If memory serves me correctly he signed a 3 year contract in 2007 when signed by Wilkins (and a bargain £75,000 I believe too?).

What a character, and what a great attitude - how many players would have had a bit of a whinge about the captaincy being taken off them?

Oh - and he's still one hell of a player.

Whilst the club are being quite liberal with contracts at the moment, I wouldn't begrudge this old timer at least 12 more months.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
i agree about the 1 year offer but he does still remain the club captain just not team captain.

User Removed

Oct 21, 2005
Brighton
'Club captain'? Let's be honest, doesn't really mean much does it?

However, the guy could easily be a natural ambassador for the club, in whatever capacity that may be, and I guess if that means 'Club captain' for the moment then fair enough!

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Forster will end up in coaching/management that much is sure, possibly player coach for us going into Falmer.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Has the potential to be manager one day but still has the pace and ability to do a job for a couple more seasons as a player. Fantastic signing, one of our best ever in relation to what we paid.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That Sky Sports interview posted on here would suggest his aim is to run out with the team at Falmer, quite a stretch to expect him to still be in the 1st team in two years, especially if his goals fire up up the league. I expect him to be still here but not convinced he'll still be a regular starter.

Horney

Oct 12, 2008
The only real class player in the whole squad.
1) Never stops working and running
2)Excellent positional sense
3) Good finisher
4)Gets ' important ' goals...i.e..tight game..1-0 win..Forster scores.
5) At nearly 36, is still a model pro and an example to the younger players.

The number one best signing in recent years...no question.

Frutos

Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
May 3, 2006
Northumberland
Our best signing this side of Bobby Zamora, no doubt of that.

An absolute class act and model pro who I hope will be around this club in some capacity for many years to come.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
I was thinking about this yesterday too

My only concern is that he is showing good form now at the start of the season, will he be able to sustain that or will age start to catch him up later in the season / next season.

Do we want to sign him up for longer now, or wait til later in the season, this way he is still motivated by trying to earn a new contract, but if he does start to break down or suffer injuries, we are not tied in

There are some players who have played on til they are 40, Sheringham and Paul Furlong for example, so maybe he will and be able to play still when we get to Falmer so if he stays fit and can still produce the goods, i think he is worth a years contract to start with, but is it too early to offer it to him, should we wait til Jan / Feb first?

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Or NOT.
Or completely and utterly NOT.

Murray has done little to suggest he is "better".

They are different types of player. I think Murray is a more classy player in terms of setting up goals but Forster is a natural goalscorer who you would back to score if given a chance. If you saw Murray in September/October last year, he was on fire so that would be an argument. However, I think they are both very good players and wish Murray would sort his mind out so we could play them together.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Apart from comparing a 36 year old striker with a 24 (?) year old striker... Forster sold for £700k back in the late nineties (not allowing for inflation) and when the transfer fees were not so inflated. Beside which, transfer fees should not be the sole indicator.

Murray could be better than Forster, but he hasn't shown it of late and not played in the league above.

The difference between Murray and Forster is huge.

In a 50/50 ball situation, Forster will come out with the ball 80% of the time.
Then, NF can run with it, shield it from the defender, pass it or shoot. He often scores.

Murray has to have the ball to his feet. He doesn't run, he won't tackle back, and he loses the ball a lot. He can beat players, and he can score goals. He knows where the net is, and is a decent player when few (or one) touch/es are required.

With those ifs/ands/buts to consider, I'll take the workrate and full intent of all-rounder Forster over the pin-man-poacher Murray.

7:18

Brighton & Hove Albion
Aug 6, 2006
Brighton, England
Legend and definitely the best signing we have made in the last 5 years.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here