Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Humour] Nicknames That Make You Chuckle

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
On a related, and equally fascinating note, Mrs G commented during the Burnley match that the current Albion players use their forenames to call to each other ("Neal", "Solly", "Dan", "Ben", "Yves", "Adam", etc) rather than any nicknames...

I imagine that "Dunky" must be the exception to this rule.

I wasn't aware that one of our players was known for his fondness for digestive biscuits. You didn't clarify which one it is.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I've found firemen and cricketers tend to create the most skilful nicknames - no one gets called their real names in those workplaces.

Class mate from school named Ian has for a lifetime only ever been called Sid [some on here may know this chap]
Few probably know the source - as a lad, he was, shall we say, always a tad on the portly side and someone one day gave him the title of "Porker Siddeley" [as in Vulcan bomber aircraft] and very quickly this just got abbreviated to Sid, and it stuck now for almost 50 years.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
I wasn't aware that one of our players was known for his fondness for digestive biscuits. You didn't clarify which one it is.

I always thought it was Rich Tea that were the biscuit of choice for dunkers - Digestives tend to too easily break away to give a disappointing and lumpy end to your brew.

mickybha

Jan 2, 2010
My two favourites both footballers Fitz Hall (One size ) . and Kiki Musampa .(Chris )

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Two that spring to mind at work....

1: four tacks..... old carpet fitter who just used to roll out carpet in the room and basically... you guessed it put a tack in each corner, he’s probably dead now, he was old in 1987

2: trolley...... young carpet fitter, never did what you told him, 1st call done last etc, basically did what he felt like.

marlowe

Dec 13, 2015
I always thought it was Rich Tea that were the biscuit of choice for dunkers - Digestives tend to too easily break away to give a disappointing and lumpy end to your brew.

I was going with my own personal preference but now you mention it I think "Rich Tea" or "Rich" would be quite an appropriate nickname for said player and more imaginative than merely adding a Y to his given name.

Albion in the north

Jul 13, 2012
Ooop North
On my first posting after basic training, another young lad, Angus, turned up. A Scots lad, nice guy but not the sharpest tool in the box. We were all chatting in the tool store one day when one of the NCOs said to Angus, I bet you cant chop this matchstick in half with a blindfold on. He reckoned he could. So he took off his beret and was blindfolded. The matchstick was then swopped for his beret and for the next 5 minutes the hacked his beret to pieces thinking he was ever so close to chopping the matchstick. `He was for ever called Chopper after that.

el punal

Another name and story from years gone by - my mate got a summer holiday job working as a driver’s mate delivering sacks of potatoes to shops and fish & chippies. On one particular day the driver pulls up and says to my mate “Right, I’ll be about twenty minutes I’m off to see Wanker Lil.”

My mate asks “Why?”

“It’s all in the name, son.” came the reply. :D

The Clamp

NSC Patron
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
The blokes who Nicknamed their mate “Spider” because once when they went shopping, he bought four pairs of jeans.

And an ugly bird at my first job known as pebble because even the ocean wouldn’t take her out.

Last edited:

PHCgull

Gus-ambivalent User
Mar 5, 2009
If you remember seeing the vietnamese boat people on the news in the late 1970s it was a terrible thing to behold...thousands of poor souls taking to the sea on anything that would float..

Late 1980s I worked (briefly) doing nightshifts on the ovens at the Sunblest factory in Woodingdean.
There was a vietnamese bloke worked there, totally incomprehensible except when swearing profusely in English.

Everyone called him "Lucky"

bobby baxter

Jan 31, 2014
Wasn`t there a character in The Boys From the Blackstuff nicknamed "Isaiah" because one of his eyes was higher than the other?

happypig

Staring at the rude boys
May 23, 2009
Eastbourne
I used to work with fellers known as "three phones Pete", "F*ckwit Doug", "Doctor Zack" (looked like Zachary Smith from Lost in Space), "Valderrama" & "Johnny two hats".
There was a lady in the office known as "Flora" (spreads easily).

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
There was in the past a lady who had the nickname Land Rover for the reason she had four children by four different fathers.

TugWilson

I gotta admit that I`m a little bit confused
Dec 8, 2020
Dorset
I got a good mate we call Ned ( Flanders - Simpsons ) i swear he has the same hair the same moustache and dresses the same with the same language , oh i diddly did forget my dee dum diddly paper . But he can swear with the best of them when he chooses .

seagullwedgee

Aug 9, 2005
I might get in trouble for this, but what the heck. Back in the early 90s one of our regional managers in the north had a really pronounced horrible Lancastrian accent, and he was a right pedantic humourless tosser. We called him Thrush.

Because he was an irritating (vnt.

half time scores

Mar 19, 2012
Lounging-on-the-chintz
Back in my Hang Gliding days there was a pilot in our club who came from South London who we called Cyclops because he would end a sentence "Won I"

A friends Grandfather worked on the docks in Liverpool where there was a chap named the Destroyer because he was always running around looking for a sub

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here