Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Music] Nick Mason's Saucerful of Secrets

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Enjoyed it BUT although musically they were brilliant, vocally I was more disappointed than I should have been. You don’t replace the vocals of Syd, Gilmour and Waters easily. I am a curmudgeon I know :down:

The jumping around on stage was very un Floyd too.

But they loved it, the crowd did and I accept that I am out of step. Spoilt by having seen the original band (less Syd) I fear.

Fantastic that the legacy is being kept alive though :thumbsup:

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Enjoyed it BUT although musically they were brilliant, vocally I was more disappointed than I should have been. You don’t replace the vocals of Syd, Gilmour and Waters easily. I am a curmudgeon I know :down:

But they loved it, the crowd did and I accept that I am out of step. Spoilt by having seen the original band (less Syd) I fear.

Agreed that the vocals lack something, but they're not trying to be simply a 'covers band', but inject their own take on how it should be presented - as you say, 'keeping the legacy alive'.

I'd still have rather seen the original though. :)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Agreed that the vocals lack something, but they're not trying to be simply a 'covers band', but inject their own take on how it should be presented - as you say, 'keeping the legacy alive'.

I'd still have rather seen the original though. :)

I did like the tribute to Syd and I’d never heard Vegetable Man before, I did wonder about the lyrics as they played it and I assumed it was a Syd song before Nick told us afterwards that it was an unreleased song. Sad

Nick was very amusing with his off the cuff comments.

Looked up the original and surprised to find it

https://youtu.be/I7e1RUXUx7o

Nitram

Jul 16, 2013
Great show. Obscured by Clouds and Echoes were stand outs for me. Really enjoyed Gary Kemp’s contribution much to my surprise, not as much as my better half though!
69C581FF-C799-413F-B156-66B2B0CF6A1F.jpeg

birthofanorange

NSC Patron
Aug 31, 2011
David Gilmour's armpit
Great show. Obscured by Clouds and Echoes were stand outs for me. Really enjoyed Gary Kemp’s contribution much to my surprise, not as much as my better half though!
View attachment 147336

Yep, go along with those choices - Echoes was simply brilliant. :)

As for Gary Kemp, I had no idea he was such an accomplished guitarist, and he fits in perfectly, imo.

I take it your better half has a bit of a soft spot for him? :lolol:

August West

Jul 30, 2013
Vocals

The only time I was disappointed with the vocals was Remember A Day which lacked the wistfulness of the original, instrumentally as well as vocally.
Otherwise I appreciated that they weren’t trying to replicate the original voices at all.
I did see the Floyd with Syd a couple of times but in those days with those sound systems it was hard to hear the vocals let alone follow the lyrics. PAs improved dramatically between 67 and 72…
Overall it was a great show and I was very impressed with the musicianship, I liked the fact that the band were so obviously enjoying themselves and that Syd’s songs were given the prominence and credit they deserve.

Last edited:

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea

I didn't go, 2 simple reasons, First one was I completely forgot, second one was, a band mate went a few years ago and said it was great, and I looked into it, a few bells went ding . . . Then watched a gig which was on TV ( sky arts or something) and whilst I enjoyed it, realised that it was never going to be the PF I'd like to see live. . . .

They're all doing a good thing, entertaining and having fun, and I doubt they're doing it for the money, but it's not and sadly never can be early pink floyd, although about as good as its going to get.

A no win in some respects, but top of the league in others . . . Depends where you're standing?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here