Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] Nicholas Parsons RIP

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
He and his wife were regular visitors to the Cooden Beach Hotel in Bexhill where I worked as a teenager. Lovely guy - and a good tipper too. RIP.

Truly a great of his time RIP

The Cooden Beach hotel, has always been a decent place to go for a meal, and afterwards for a nice walk on Herbrand Walk :thumbsup:

Last edited:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
Really sad news.

I was at the Assembly Rooms in Worthing last Friday for a recording of that other great Monday night Radio 4 prog "I'm Sorry I haven't a Clue" and Jack Dee was doing his regular impersonation of Nicholas on "Just a MInute" that was hilarious as ever. So sad that just a few days later NIcholas has gone. A real trooper and a very funny guy. He was on the Antiques Road Trip a few years ago and it's worth a watch. A lovely and interesting fella for sure.

RIP Nicholas

RossyG

Dec 20, 2014
A terrific broadcaster and a great straight man for the likes of Benny Hill and Arthur Haynes.

As a longtime fan of Just a Minute, I hope they retire the show and let it live on in repeats. It just wouldn’t be the same without him.

Robinjakarta

Jul 14, 2014
Jakarta
That's sad.

Wouldn't say i was particularly fond of his work, but for much of my youth he had an almost anti-national treasure status, along with Des O'connor.
Seemed a decent sort and was happy to have the piss taken out of himself, which elevated him above most of his contemporaries.

To Arthur Haynes on The Arthur Haynes Show, the piss taking of ‘Nicholarse’ was mercilessly funny. RIP

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Edit

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
A terrific broadcaster and a great straight man for the likes of Benny Hill and Arthur Haynes.

As a longtime fan of Just a Minute, I hope they retire the show and let it live on in repeats. It just wouldn’t be the same without him.

Agree with all of that but I can imagine Paul Merton taking over the host spot as he has kind of made it his own as well although it really needed the gentle wit against Merton's more exuberant style.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
He had a good innings. As a kid I loved 'Sale Of The Century'. Parsons was a very talented individual. RIP Nicholas.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I am shocked and saddened by this news as a regular listener to just a minute Nicolas Parsons wit and sharpness never diminished in fact I was starting to question his age as he seemed to completly defie the aging process dispite his 96 years, never rude always polite, l can honestly say without hesitation, deviation or repetition he will be missed RIP.

I watched a lengthy interview of Nicholas Parsons on the box a couple of years ago. His wit, natural intelligence and charm was undiminished, at a grand age. Incredible guy.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

autopsyturvey

Feb 24, 2018

Shame that 90% of the episodes feature Clement Freud which the BBC won't air since he turned out to be a bit nonce-y.

I'm really sad about Nicholas, though. A bit like losing your first parent, when you lose a sense of there being immortals among us.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5010 using Tapatalk

Joey Jo Jo Jr. Shabadoo

Waxing chumps like candles since ‘75
Oct 4, 2003
Tremendously saddened by this news. Seeing the Nicolas Parsons Happy Hour was always a highlight of the Edinburgh Fringe festival, even in his late 80s his warmth, charm and superb wit filled the room. His guests would come from all parts of the Fringe festival, not just the comedy side, even if you didn't have a clue about the person he was interviewing he made sure you walked away from the show feeling like you'd been aware of them your whole life. He had one rule, you can leave your phone on but if it rang, he was answering it, alas no phone ever rang when I was in attendance.

RIP Nicolas.

Was he Scottish ?

Must be the least Scottish sounding Scotsman EVER

He had family in Scotland who helped him get a job when he left school, while working at the ship yard he also studied at Glasgow University, but never graduated.

WATFORD zero

NSC Patron
Jul 10, 2003
An absolutely superb broadcaster and gentleman.

I still remember seeing him as the narrator in The Rocky Horror Show at the Dome many years ago

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
I was stopped at the lights at the bottom of Preston Drove a couple of years ago. It was 6.45pm, I was by myself, and I was laughing out loud. Feeling silly I glanced at the car alongside me. The other driver was doing the same. That's NP for you.

"First we meet the lady who liked Nicholas Parsons. And then we meet the parson who liked Knickerless Ladies." I can never remember who came up with that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here