Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Nice to know our Tax money is being spent prudently

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The most intriguing fact to come out is that Carlzeiss reads the daily mail!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As for all those muppets banging on about why this is what's wrong with the benefits system you're all a joke. This story represents a very very small minority, I for one don't know of any family on benefits with that many children yet the way some of you go on you would think that they occupy every single property in every housing association. It's a bit like using the example of Starbucks and Google as representatives of why capitalism is wrong when there are plenty of other companies paying fair tax.

The question you need to ask yourself is how do you now deal with the situation that exists, not some fantasy land where everyone works, they only have 2.4 children and they, during their formative years are raised by a nanny who is therefore another earner out of the situation. Seems to me that you all want to penalise the kids for the actions of their mother.

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
The children exist. They have to be housed. There is no getting around that. Irresponsible mother or not.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
My measure of the success of the American system? For a start, in the USA: "You are only entitled to a maximum (depending what state) of 99 weeks of unemployment compensation".

And another quote: "How is it that the American economy manages year-in-year-out to outperform its European neighbours in economic terms? There is no simple answer, of course, but this chart might hold some of the clues. It shows the comparative generosity of long-term unemployment benefits around the world – and guess who is right at the very bottom?" And at the bottom is? THE USA.

The success of the US system is that it doesn't cost the taxpayer as much money. Therefore it is good.

Add to that the fact they have no crime and poverty doesn't exist it is surely the best society to live in!!!! (just make sure that you don't lose your job or get ill and you'll be fine).

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Exactly. That's what is wrong with the benefit system in this country. A benefit system which costs you and I a fecking great amount of money so that people can go off and have ELEVEN children comfortable in the knowledge that the State (i.e the taxpayers; i.e people who WORK and PAY TAXES) will take care of them. There's a lot to be said for the American system.
There are always winners and losers with any benefit system. I don't think there will be many who disagree with you when you say that having 11 kids and expecting the rest of society to foot the bill is an appalling mindset.

But look at it this way; having a safety net that also catches those who are less deserving appears to be the price we pay for ensuring that everybody in society is looked after when necessary. I don't want to live in a society where those who can't afford health cover during hard times are left to rot. The American system is awful.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
My measure of the success of the American system? For a start, in the USA: "You are only entitled to a maximum (depending what state) of 99 weeks of unemployment compensation".

And another quote: "How is it that the American economy manages year-in-year-out to outperform its European neighbours in economic terms? There is no simple answer, of course, but this chart might hold some of the clues. It shows the comparative generosity of long-term unemployment benefits around the world – and guess who is right at the very bottom?" And at the bottom is? THE USA.

The success of the US system is that it doesn't cost the taxpayer as much money. Therefore it is good.

Okay, so that's it, the benefit system doesn't cost the taxpayer as much = Good.

So, by way of an example, most people would agree that crime levels are closely linked to poverty right? Do crime levels not come in to your calculation? A quick wiki search tells me that there are 2.3m people in prison in the US - 97,000 in the UK. That costs an awful lot of money..... I know this isn't a terribly complete argument but hopefully it helps you to understand that you can't always draw such simplistic conlusions.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Interesting that the article states the house is 'custom built', but the house next door appears to be identical.

Its 2 semis knocked into one. The question that needs to be asked is does she have a "right to buy" on this housing association property ?

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
they had a house - in fact they had 2 houses and a paddock with a horse in it

How odd. In fact I think I remember reading about this a while back. A horse? I consider myself to be rather left wing but even I would draw the line at allowing benefit claimants to spend tax payers money on such flummery as horses.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
How odd. In fact I think I remember reading about this a while back. A horse? I consider myself to be rather left wing but even I would draw the line at allowing benefit claimants to spend tax payers money on such flummery as horses.

Would you deprive all those kids the choice of eating a burger every week ?

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Recycled hatred from a story that broke back in February.

Blog from a local bloke, no idea who he is or what he represents, but seems to be a little more measured.

http://stevehynd.com/tag/heather-frost/

Indeed, a good summary of the situation. Also worth mentioning that if you total up the cost of all those 'scrounger' families with > 10 kids, it would cost each tax payer an average of....

9p a year. Well worth getting worked up about in anyone's book

keaton

Big heart, hot blood and balls. Big balls
Nov 18, 2004
Exactly. That's what is wrong with the benefit system in this country. A benefit system which costs you and I a fecking great amount of money so that people can go off and have ELEVEN children comfortable in the knowledge that the State (i.e the taxpayers; i.e people who WORK and PAY TAXES) will take care of them. There's a lot to be said for the American system.

Ok. So what you want to happen to her and her children?

Creaky

Mar 26, 2013
Hookwood - Nr Horley
Aren't the house and other benefits provided for the children's upkeep and well being?

It's not their fault they are members of that particular family,

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
She's had 11 kids. She could probably house them in her fanny. And the horse.

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
pushing the benefit points to one side for a moment, every time i see these stories in the press my first thought is why do people still think its acceptable to bring 11 children into the modern world.

this isnt 1850 anymore.......space and resourses are getting scarce.

:shrug:

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
pushing the benefit points to one side for a moment, every time i see these stories in the press my first thought is why do people still think its acceptable to bring 11 children into the modern world.

this isnt 1850 anymore.......space and resourses are getting scarce.

:shrug:

150 years ago how many of those 11 kids would have lived past the age of 14 ?

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia

GDP per capita 2012 Sweden $55,245
GDP per capita 2012 USA $49,965

Unemployment benefit rules sure must be tough in Sweden. Or perhaps there are other more important factors involved in a complex economy, cos i'm pretty sure Bangladesh has limited employment benefits, yet somehow they haven't managed to become a global economic superpower.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here