NHS leg pain

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Thats what annoys me about chemo how it mucks up your own defenses. Im sorry to hear about the prognosis but things change everyday in research so never say never.
Im a bit mythed at the moment on how i got a cold after my last injection.

Non specific chemo tends to inhibit/knock back all the bodies fast producing cells including tumours and the body's immune system - that's the way they work. Some of the recently developed targetted therapies such as mono-clonal antibodies like Avastin have a more subtle mode of action.
Incubation period for the common cold virus is usually about 48 hours so you probably picked it up at the end of last week; maybe your immune system was down a bit or perhaps it's not come into contact with the particular strain previously so doesn't have the antigen ready made to knock it out.

doogie004

Oct 12, 2008
wisborough green
just a quick word m8 to say the fockers r on ther way sorry i mean mum and dad hopefully leaving gatwick 16.35 eta newquay 50mins later if that f***ing cloud gets in my way i taking control of the plane so if you here on the news madman on plane you know its me and ma love you c u soon get the beans on toast sorted and stop making out your ill f***ing lightweight.

just a quick word m8 to say the fockers r on ther way sorry i mean mum and dad hopefully leaving gatwick 16.35 eta newquay 50mins later if that f***ing cloud gets in my way i taking control of the plane so if you here on the news madman on plane you know its me and ma love you c u soon get the beans on toast sorted and stop making out your ill f***ing lightweight.

Listen to your father, he talks sense.

Sort of.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Having just had the mearest taste of my 1st hospital sleepover, plus an impending but relativly simple op, I have even more admiration for you guys with more serious stuff have to put up with.

Keep those spirits up and well done to all at the NHS.

Having just had the mearest taste of my 1st hospital sleepover, plus an impending but relativly simple op, I have even more admiration for you guys with more serious stuff have to put up with.

Keep those spirits up and well done to all at the NHS.

Cheers Ken bit it's a piece of piss in comparison to some of the things I've suffered from Stripes over the previous 50 years.
Big chemo kick-in today so very, very tired; I've even been thinking (if that's the right word) of buying a PSL!!

jackiefw

May 15, 2011
south coast
Hiya Andrew hope had nice time with mum and dad hope he was running around after you!! He is cheeky sod get him to do his own beans on toast!!! Hope your cold has gone and you are feeling ok lots of love x x

Cornish seagull!

Nov 18, 2010
Cornwall
Evening ive still got this bastard cold. Hope everythings ok with you alex and freddie. Hope this bastard cold goes lol i wanna have a nice weekend with the family.

So have you got chemo every week?

Fortnightly, same as you, but I have to attend the Royal Surrey on a consecutive Monday (for bloodtest and medical) and Tuesday for the chemo dosing that then continues at home for 48 hours with the take home pump. District nurses then come to our house to remove the pump on the Thursday and to flush and re-dress my PICC line. They'll be attending to the PICC line like this every week.

Cornish seagull!

Nov 18, 2010
Cornwall
Ok i get it. I forgot that the PICC line needs to be flushed. Im hoping my cold has gone feel better this morning. Just hope i dont pick anything else up. Keep strong buddy i hope you start seeing some progress.

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
Alex I do apologize as I never seem to check in on yourself! So do tell how goes things? How far along are you in the process?

As for yourself Cornish how you feeling/how things going?

Alex I do apologize as I never seem to check in on yourself! So do tell how goes things? How far along are you in the process?

As for yourself Cornish how you feeling/how things going?
Hi Peever,
Just started my third course of chemo since 2007 (when I had two courses of x6) after surgical removal of a tumour that blocked my colon just before Christmas 2006. Three lots of related surgery to date and one b*****d of a bacterial infection that developed in 2007 whilst my immune system was really low - non-hospital related, just unlucky.
My prognosis is slightly "worse" now but no cause to panic; I've some small nodules in the peritoneum that were detected a few weeks back via the routine CT scanning I've been having regularly since 2006. These are non-curable so the treatment moves on to stopping them growing, reducing their size, halting the spread via blood or lymphatic systems to anything vital like the liver (again) or lung, extending life and maintaining the quality of this. I've five more doses to go, once a fortnight, then a CT scan to see how it's all gone and a decision to stop, another course, different regimen etc depending on the scan picture. Hope this isn't too much info, tell me to shut up if so.

Cornish - how's your cold?

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
No its not too much info by any means. Good to know the history and such of what you've been going through to put it all into perspective. As said above you two deserve nothing but massive admiration from all. For someone like myself who's not ever had to worry about this sort of disease and such it really is an eye opener. :clap: To both of you

AlexD, you seem fairly pragmatic about this stuff if I'm reading right.
Has this come from the repetitive experience with chemo now?

Good morning Mr H,
Some might look at me so but my "approach" to the cancer has been much the same since being first diagnosed in 2006. It's probably not for everyone but I've worked in the Pharmaceutical Industry all my working life and one disease is just like any other to me. Understand what's happening to you (or try), the treatment being proposed and why, what's likely to happen to you, decide if you want it and if so get on with it pronto. Take an active role throughout but don't piss the doctors/consultants about, record what's happened (that's a real help to the medical team) and get on with your life - I really, really never thought I'd see the Albion leave Withdean but now look. Spookily, some of the drugs I'm given I've even worked on - don't now if that's a good thing though?
The experience HAS also been a wonderful insight into the workings of the NHS and the limitations/inadequacies of the current GP referal/gatekeeper " system", particularly in rural areas. Still, when they're all running about in the future trying to save 50p/patient on some ultrasound treatment then perhaps others will start to see - I just hope it will not be too late for them.
When did you leave Henfield btw?

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Good morning Mr H,
Some might look at me so but my "approach" to the cancer has been much the same since being first diagnosed in 2006. It's probably not for everyone but I've worked in the Pharmaceutical Industry all my working life and one disease is just like any other to me. Understand what's happening to you (or try), the treatment being proposed and why, what's likely to happen to you, decide if you want it and if so get on with it pronto. Take an active role throughout but don't piss the doctors/consultants about, record what's happened (that's a real help to the medical team) and get on with your life - I really, really never thought I'd see the Albion leave Withdean but now look. Spookily, some of the drugs I'm given I've even worked on - don't now if that's a good thing though?
The experience HAS also been a wonderful insight into the workings of the NHS and the limitations/inadequacies of the current GP referal/gatekeeper " system", particularly in rural areas. Still, when they're all running about in the future trying to save 50p/patient on some ultrasound treatment then perhaps others will start to see - I just hope it will not be too late for them.
I've been following this thread since the beginning but haven't posted since the early days (when I told Cornish to worry about getting better first and suing the NHS second) but I just wanted to say that I've got nothing but respect and admiration for the way both you and Cornish are dealing with all the shit you've got going on. Really sorry to hear that you won't be able to do the Goldstone/Amex walk as I know that, like me, you wanted to do it unofficially for personal reasons.

It's easy for me to say - but keep buggering on. You're both in my prayers.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports