Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

nfl season 2009

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
really enjoyed last season thread, i know kick off is still a long way off but it is the draft next weekend and for me at least the close season has been awesome.

cutler is a bear! we gave a lot to get him - two first round draft picks, a third round pick and karl orton. i really rate orton but jay cutler is a class above. i am not entirely convinced that he is the missing piece of the jigsaw, i think we need a couple of decent receivers as well. i was really excited about percy harvin in the draft and if we'd been in the first round i think we should have gone for him. he certainly won't still be on the board in the second round though.

there should be an announcement tomorrow on draft tv coverage here in england. sky tv and the nfl are having some ridiculous game of brinkmanship. really hope they can agree something. they are still bickering over a deal for the nfl next season as well.

Eggman

Jul 8, 2003
West Sussex
I think you can follow the draft on NFL.com

What pick do you have in the second round? Can you trade up by packaging any other picks? I like the look of the guy Robiskie who could be a steal and might fall into the Bears lap.

Eagles have two first round picks this year. God know whats going to happen. They need a running back first off. Hopefully Knowshon Moreno at 21 followed by an offensive tackle at 28.

Getting pretty excited about it

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
I'm not sure Darren Sproles was worth the Chargers' franchise tag, I'm pleased to see LT back though as I still think he's got a lot to offer. Hopefully getting Merriman back will help the defense too. We need to improve at safety I think, and if we can do that who knows?

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Never followed ( or understood) the draft etc..assume my team The New York Jets will be as shite as usual

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
i think there is going to be an announcement tomorrow from nfluk regarding draft coverage here, i know they are full of how wonderful their online coverage is but really nothing better than hotdogs, a few beers and the big tv with it on.

i am not too worried about the lack of nfl tv coverage deal for here yet because there is still a long way to go and with the nfl pushing the international series i can't seen them letting us go without any coverage.

the bears are on primetime five times next season so hopefully that will covert nicely into a good few games on live over here. i highly recommend the gamepass for online but it is not the same as watching on tv.

eggman we have pick 17 of the second round (49th pick overall) i like the look of robiskie as well. there are a few buckeyes that will be up there pick wise - beanie wells (running back) and malcolm jenkins (cornerback) juanquin iglesias and louis murphy are two other good shouts who could still be on the board them.

my favourite player in the draft this year is the beats orakpo. think he will go top ten - maybe the seahawks or the chiefs. i saw a lot of him at texas and really rate him.

the auditor - the jets might do ok this year, i really rate the ILB they are rumoured to be picking - james lauranitis he is another from the buckeyes and aside from ray maluaga i think he is one of the best in his position this draft.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Will be supporting the Giants again - hopefully they've got over the Plaxico Burress episode (at least they ditched him eventually - I think their was a bit of reluctance after his contribution to their winning the 2007 SB against the Patriots) and can find the form they had at the start of the last season.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
so, no live draft here on tv. i think that is a real backwards step. i know not everyone who watches regular season on a more casual basis is probably not fussed about who picks andre smith or where knowshon moreno goes but there is a pretty huge college football following here and to have put the draft live (and i believe the viewing figures were better than expected) last year and then pull it back into a two hour highlights show of the 'best' bits. the best bits that sky decide so it will be the first five big money picks and then who the 'big' teams pick - dallas, new england and screw anyone else.

apparently nfl.com have upped their serve/space/speed or whatever for watching online so i suppose that is something. oh well!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water
Was just checking nfluk and was shocked to see John Madden is retiring, often made a dull game fun for me.

NFL.com are showing the draft live.

I think Madden has got one of those voices that are quite superb, and instantly recognisable. A little like Bill Mclaren and Richie Benaud. He knows the game so well, yet doesn't talk down to those of us who have never played the game.

If it's true he's retiring then it's a sad day.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
yep, very sad that madden has called it a day.

so, draft starts tomorrow. leeds are away at bloody hartlepool and i am still trying to decide what to do, trek up there and get back to our place in leeds on saturday night to catch up or give the game a miss and stop at home. if we had a first round pick i'd definitely stay home but not sure.

i think dj moore or robiskie for us. i hope so anyway.

Igor Gurinovich?

Mar 27, 2006
Southampton

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
as much as i like the nfl i wouldn't want them to bring the superbowl over here. much as the fa cup is the thing of dreams these days for leeds i still wouldn't want them to take that over to vancouver or new york or something.

the superbowl would only ever work/should only ever come here is if london got a franchise and that franchise lasted a good few years and was popular etc.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
everyone happy with the draft then?

we were without our first round pick because of signing jay cutler but then we traded out the second round as well, first time since 1978 that we haven't had a first or second round pick. we got dj moore who i mentioned above, but my 'favourite' of our drafts is johnny knox. we ticked all our wants off so i guess that is something, a couple of good wr in there for cutler to throw to - we'll see how that pans out.

some crazy picks though - heywerd-bey that high up. the jets had to have been certain that someone else was taking sanchez to trade up.

was starting to feel a little sorry for crabtree still sat there at his table pick after pick.

we couldn't get the nfl.com coverage to work so watched through justin tv and it was perfect, just a slight time delay so had to stop looking on mfl.com as the picks were up there first.

roll on the season!

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
steve mcnair was shot dead over the weekend.
Police: Ex-NFL star McNair dated woman before both found dead - CNN.com

we're off to chicago for practise at the beginning of august. looking forward to it. seems like a long time since the superbowl.

That was indeed a shocking news story from the weekend. What a great player "Air" McNair was and I'll never forget him coming so close with that magical drive at the end of the SB vs the Rams.

I wonder if he will make a postumous entry into the HoF one day.

Incidents like this just happen far too much to players in the NFL. There seem to be 3 or 4 premature deaths a season.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here