Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NFL 2010 Season

Peever

Sep 5, 2010
Canada
Was a bit nerve racking towards the end but the Pack pulled through :). If we play at the superbowl like we did tonight though..... I dont expect good things. Came out guns blazin at first and then went to sleep for 2 and a half quaters...

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex

Jul 7, 2003
Go Packers, thought Chicago were as poor as their field last night, was Cutler injured or just bottling it.

Injured a knee ligament according to the news today. Medical staff say he wanted to go on but they pulled him from the game.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Ok Going to support Green Bay Packers in the final and best of luck to them.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
so, anyone going to the superbash? i'll be there with my brother. looking forward to it. seems like nfluk listened to the complaints about food as this year bodeans are catering it. should be good. much prefer arlo white (bears fan!) to trevor nelson as the presenter as well.

cutler bottled it good and proper, his attitude and nerve has always been questionable. we had a good weekend in chicago, great beers and craic but as is so often the case the football spoiled it. oh well. i was worried for us at the start of the season but to make it as far as we did was a vast improvement on the previous season. unfortunately it'll have given lovie smith and mike martz plus the rest of them some breathing space. i was hoping that we'd get rid of them at the end of the season.

anyway, i'm going against the bookies, steelers by three on sunday.

formal bargaining session scheduled for saturday morning. it is a shame this has been overshadowing superbowl week, i have been following online and reading a lotof the blogs and sports papers and instead of it being really focused on the bowl like normal there has been goodell and demaurice smith giving their pitch all the time. keep saying everyone is committed to agreeing a new deal but as it stands now i just don't see how the two sides can meet in the middle and agree something, someone will have to blink first. but 437 fa players without a contract and a paycheck.?! and the draft going ahead but the prospects not actually being able to be signed.

this is a bit pessimistic for me but it's a fairly decent round up of where things stand right now
Super Bowl Blues: Why the Expiring CBA Should Have NFL Fans Crying Foul | Bleacher Report

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Not going to Superbash unfortunately. I was one of the many unlucky ones who didn't come out of the ballot the right side.

Never mind, I'll be cheering on from home, although a bit lukewarm about both teams, so not sure which way my allegience will fall. Probably the Pack I suppose, as I can't help but admire how well they have done despite the injuries to Grant and the TE, who's name escapes me at the moment. Rodgers has done a tremendous job, and Starks has just provided enough of a running threat to open up some passing lanes. Whereas the Steelers have probably won as much as they deserve of late. Big ben entering the rather exclusive club of three-time Superbowl winning QBs, doesn't quite sound right.

So, yeah, I guess I've just answered my question, I'll be rooting for the Packers, but I think you're right Starry, backing teh Steelers does look good value. they have just found a way to win time and time again. The running game is strong, I love the young WRs coming through, Ben is solid and has been there before, while teh D can stuff a run game completely, and with Polamalu and Harrison, they have game changers on D.

As for the CBA, it was bound to be overshadowing things, and I can't believe they have left themselves so far apart this far down the road. No agreement will lose money for all sides. Both teams are playing brinksmanship thinking the other side will blink first. That seems a very silly game to play for Smith, as he will surely come under HUGE pressure from his members as they enter the unknown. They haven't been in teh game through anything like this before, and that will inevitably panic them. Whereas a lot of the owners have been in or around the game dating back to the strike season, and know what that entails. They know it's not ideal, but knowing they can survive it, would make them less likely to blink in my opinion. Smith is new to this, and I'm afraid it's showing.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
Good article in today’s New York Times about some of the unexpected consequences of the NFL lockout. Seems that without the collective bargaining agreement in place the League cannot enforce its drug and personal conduct policies. The players and agents now exist in a world where anything goes – they can use previously banned substances with no repercussions when they return to play and agents can poach players from other agents. Owners and fans are waiting to see how the players and agents handle themselves.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/03/14/sports/football/14nfl.html?_r=1&ref=sports

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
But who would want to act like that, as "character issues" are a major part of the recruitment process. If players were to start pumping themselves full of steroids, or embark upon a period of Pacmac Jones like misconduct, then whether those actions could bring about direct consequences or not from the NFL, then teams will go rather cool on them.

As for the failure of the negotiations, does anyone else feel that the problem can be traced back to the Players Union (as was) going for a Washington Attorney to run teh show rather than an ex-player? Just seems that Upshaw campaigned for fairer treatment of players, whereas DeMaurice Smith just seems entrenched in getting every last cent he believes the law will support him to get, with minimal regard for the good of the game.

Personally, if I was a player, I'd be getting very nervous about him. he's not got a background of winning these negotiations for me, because this is his first, and so far he has just led me to being locked out. Players who are (were?) Free Agents this off season, and are therefore unable to get a contract sorted out because of his "negotiations" must be getting pretty anxious about whether this guy knows what he's doing, or is doing it for the right reasons.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here