Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

NFL 2010 Off-Season Thread

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Thought i'd make a new thread for us NFL fans to come to to discuss free agency and the draft.

Well, bit of a bad start to free agency for the Cards! Just logged on and seen they've lost Boldin, Rolle and Dansby ALREADY, as well as Warner retiring at the end of the season! Pretty sure the 49ers will romp that division now.

Skint Gull

Jul 27, 2003
Watchin the boats go by
Cheers for that dad. Anyways, back on subject:

Looks to be a good day for my Steelers. Resigning Randel El and more importantly keeping hold or Ryan Clark, probably the biggest hitting Safety in the NFL. I think if he and especially Polamalu can stay fit the D should be back to normal and with a few recent additions to the Special Teams (who i must admit i don't know a lot about) we should be back around the lowest PPG % in the AFC.

If paddy happens to pick up on this what do you reckon about signing Peppers, gotta be a great move surely?

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Retaining the services of Clark is a much bigger deal than Randel El in my opinion.

Peppers would look like a great signing, but how often do you see a big money move like that just blow up in a teams face? I've got a feeling he won't be value for money, and he's been playing with a whole lot of anger at wanting out of the Panthers. Now he has the move (and the green), let's see what he's got to deliver.

I see the Raiders have cut Jevon Walker, how much did he cost them for virtually no productivity whatsoever?

Karlos Dansby to Miami looks like the best signing made so far, although I still hoping my Cowboys go after Darren Sharper.

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
Not too sure where the Chargers are headed at the moment. I'm happy Cromartie's gone, puzzled by Jamal Williams being cut and saddened although not surprised that LT's gone. I'm assuming we'll take a running back high in the draft as Sproles is not an every down back, but we've also got needs at nose tackle and cornerback which need addressing if we're going to do any better than last year. I think I hope Shawne Merriman stays too.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Not too sure where the Chargers are headed at the moment. I'm happy Cromartie's gone, puzzled by Jamal Williams being cut and saddened although not surprised that LT's gone. I'm assuming we'll take a running back high in the draft as Sproles is not an every down back, but we've also got needs at nose tackle and cornerback which need addressing if we're going to do any better than last year. I think I hope Shawne Merriman stays too.

There are some good looking RBs in the draft this year, certainly enough to offer value beyond the first round, and even a few decent options available in free agency. The Chargers will be fine next year.

SeagullTim

Boomer Sooner
Apr 22, 2006
Brighton
There are some good looking RBs in the draft this year, certainly enough to offer value beyond the first round, and even a few decent options available in free agency. The Chargers will be fine next year.

I'm hoping the Jets go for CJ Spiller although he probably will have been picked before they get a chance.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
glad to see this thread :thumbsup:

free agency is our draft time given that we aren't picking until 73rd in the draft, that said i am a little bit baffled about our choices. i know there aren't as many free agents around as normal but

brandon manumaleuna? we need a free safety lovie, need one. we already have kellen davis and des clark on our roster so could have gone without brandon - i really rate des clark and think it's time he was given chance to really step up.

then chester taylor which might be ok but nothing special.

and julius peppers. he is 30. manumeluna and taylor both 30 as well, then add that to the old guys we already have - urlacher, briggs etc. if (and i think is quite likely) we have another poor season then lovie has to go and it will be a massive job to get rid of these OAPs and bring in some talent.

i really think the bears are in a bit of a mess, both with what will be on the field and off the field.

back to peppers - we needed someone like him and with no first or second round draft picks the deal for peppers had to get done because there wasn't really anyone else in free agency, but i am pretty ambivalent. we'll see how it work out.

but get us a safety - atogwe or i hope we are one of the many teams chasing ryan clark.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
yeah, just read that. good news for you guys, just hope the powers that be at the bears know what they are doing safety-wise.

Starry

Captain Of The Crew
Oct 10, 2004
can't wait for the nfl to start up again.

just bought my oldest son his first set of pads and proper uniform as he has 'graduated' from flag football to youth level now. the season doesn't start until may but really looking forward to seeing him play proper football now.

can't even get too excited about the mock drafts with us not having a pick until so late on. i thought we'd trade up but there is so much going on off the field at chicago with the money and finances and lovie and whatnot that who knows.

roll on pre season.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
Ha ha, bloody bloke is not doin well at the moment is he. Mud sticks as they say....

Is this more than a bit of mud stickin' though? Initially I just dismissed it as someone making an allegation against someone famous for a pay-off or a sell your story, or just something happened while Big ben was in the same zip code.

But with some of the comments (and rumours) coming out of the Steelers lately, I'm starting to think there might be something to worry about here.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
What does everyone think will happen at the top of the draft then? Top 5 picks, let's see how close we get.

1. Rams - Bradford. His inj makes him a risk, but they've spoken to his surgeon about it, and I think they want to believe he can fully recover because it's a QB league, and you don't often win without a top man under centre. They need a QB, and they will take him.

2. Lions - Okung. I know there are 2 very promising DTs, but I just think the Lions took the QB last season, and now they need to protect him. Keep Stafford safe, and they actually have the components to produce some decent offense.

3. Bucs - McCoy. It's a coin flip between him and Suh, but I've heard a couple of people saying McCoy fits better into the Tampa D.

4. 'skin - Suh. This is a tricky one, as they clearly want to get themselves a QB, but if Suh drops to 4, I think they take the best player on the board, over a specific need. With Haynesworth already on the line, that makes them a pretty dangerous unit. Campbell has one last shot, while they groom a QB from later rounds, like a Dan LeFevour.

5. Chiefs - Bulaga. I think they take an OT, and they are building a decent line, to protect Cassell. That's the guy they wanted, and now they will give him every chance by upgrading his O-line.

That's my guess, what say the rest of you?

itszamora

Go Jazz Go
Sep 21, 2003
London
What does everyone think will happen at the top of the draft then? Top 5 picks, let's see how close we get.

1. Rams - Bradford. His inj makes him a risk, but they've spoken to his surgeon about it, and I think they want to believe he can fully recover because it's a QB league, and you don't often win without a top man under centre. They need a QB, and they will take him.

2. Lions - Okung. I know there are 2 very promising DTs, but I just think the Lions took the QB last season, and now they need to protect him. Keep Stafford safe, and they actually have the components to produce some decent offense.

3. Bucs - McCoy. It's a coin flip between him and Suh, but I've heard a couple of people saying McCoy fits better into the Tampa D.

4. 'skin - Suh. This is a tricky one, as they clearly want to get themselves a QB, but if Suh drops to 4, I think they take the best player on the board, over a specific need. With Haynesworth already on the line, that makes them a pretty dangerous unit. Campbell has one last shot, while they groom a QB from later rounds, like a Dan LeFevour.

5. Chiefs - Bulaga. I think they take an OT, and they are building a decent line, to protect Cassell. That's the guy they wanted, and now they will give him every chance by upgrading his O-line.

That's my guess, what say the rest of you?

1. Rams - Bradford. I agree with you. Personally if I was running things there I think I'd take Suh and try and get hold of Michael Vick. Bradford could become a superstar, but equally he might be a flop and with needs in so many places, I'd take the sure thing. Everything I've heard points to them going with Bradford though.

2. Lions - Suh - He's the best player in the draft and is likely to be a Pro Bowler for years. So they take him.

3. Buccs - McCoy. Has looked 2nd best at all the workouts to Suh, so I see the Lions going for the latter over him and the Buccs being perfectly happy with what they get.

4. Skins - Clausen. As you rightly point out, they're desperate for a QB even though in my view Jason Campbell's not half bad. Not the pick I'd make, but it's the one I think they will.

5. Chiefs - Okung. Probably the best player left in the draft by this point, and it's in a position of need for the Chiefs. Between him and Bulaga I reckon.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
It’s nice to see that’s it’s not just the FA who can screw up big time. A big row has now broken out between the Jets and the Giants as to who will be the first to play at the new Meadowlands Stadium next September. It will be the Giants after a coin was flipped by the NFL Commissioner – unfortunately it was done without either team being represented. The Jets owner Woody Johnson is furious and is demanding a recount.

Gritt23

Jul 7, 2003
Meopham, Kent.
New OT rules have just been voted in, by a big 28-4 margin. But they will only come in for play-off games. Seems strange that they appear to be trialling it in a few games rather than rolling it out to the whole season, especially when those trial games are the big ones. Anyway...

Starting next season, if a team wins the coin toss and then kicks a field goal, the other team gets the ball.

If the game is still tied after that, play will continue under the current sudden-death rules. Should the team winning the toss immediately score a touchdown, then the game is over.

the slow norris

Feb 8, 2005
Suffolk
a bit OT but think this is the right place for it...

Have the following superbowl programmes available (uk versions) if anyone wants them. Not looking for money (except that to cover postage - prob no more than a fiver), but a donation to REMF would be appropriate. 1st come 1st served, PM me.

Cheers

Charlie

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here